Capabilities & Experience
I am a Toronto-based Art Director, Designer and Photographer with over 12 years experience in communication design, including advertising, digital, marketing and contract publishing. Organized with excellent communication skills, I am able to present original designs that deliver clear messages with innovation and flair.
I produce exceptional images for publication through my skills and experience with creative image editing, photo retouching and photo reconstruction. I offer my personal contribution of photography, illustration and type design to projects or can provide precise art direction to creative professionals.
My familiarity with current software tools has enabled me to develop original identity graphics and modify existing branding for business and educational ventures. I have initiated style guides and applied brand standards to a wide range of sales and collateral materials, including design templates, media kits, and digital platforms.
Accustomed to accepting responsibility from concept to completion, I offer production expertise grounded in real-world situations for agency and publishing clients.
Gordon Alexander Design, 2008 – present
I offer my skills as Graphic Artist in both design and production to advertising agencies and major media companies. I am primary creative contact for suppliers and editorial staff — initiating production schedules and communicating material requirements with a fine degree of detail. My experience in management of editorial and advertising products involves me at all stages of the design process from direct client consultations to delivery of material to print and online platforms.
I have had the opportunity to launch original editorial products and initiate ground-up redesigns with a keen attention to detail, thoughtful planning and a genuine interest in the successful positioning of the publication in the marketplace.
Experience includes :
* Extensive knowledge of Acrobat, Dreamweaver, InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop and Illustrator as well as QuarkXpress and QuarkCopyDesk
* Sales presentations and business pitches
* Identity graphics and corporate branding
* Researching, writing and presenting creative briefs
* Art directing photo shoots on location
* Editing images from photo sessions for client review and initiating final selection
* Colour correcting digital image files to produce superior colour reproduction
* Design of content for digital platforms
* PDF workflow
* Ariad > newsletters and sales collateral for financial clients
* BBDO Anderson > business collateral for pharmaceutical clients
* DraftFCB > packaging and sales collateral for Kraft Foods
* Rogers Publishing > B2B magazine design and marketing industry directories
* Rubicon Publishing > educational books
* Star Content Studio > consumer magazines
* Tourism Toronto > redesign of TORONTO magazine and local visitor guides
* Traffik Group > POS for Diageo, Microsoft, Xbox and Ocean Spray
* Transcontinental Media > new editorial product launch for Fresh Juice magazine
Rive Gauche Media, 2006 – 2008
Art Director for VIVA magazine, a consumer publication with a circulation of 300,000 and readership of 1 million, and IHR magazine a business title for the natural health industry. Initiated the French language edition, le magazine VIVA, to gain readership and create a national circulation.
Metroland, 2001 – 2006
Redesigned Toronto’s arts and entertainment weekly newspaper, eye Weekly. Readership increased 20% in the two years following the redesign. Senior-level duties included issue pagination and management of classified ad production. Launched Vacancy magazine, a guide to apartment rentals and Sway, a magazine for African and Caribbean Canadians.
Brunico Communications, 1997 – 2001
Art Director for KidScreen magazine, an international trade magazine. Produced collateral for sponsored events and professional seminars including advertorial, calendars, directories and programs. Initiated the design of TeenScreen magazine.
The Toronto Star, 1992 – 1997
Graphic artist for eye Weekly and eye.net. Responsibilities included art direction of in-house advertisements, promotions and sponsored supplements. Designed pitch ad creative for sales department with resulting campaigns sold to Absolute Vodka, Dentyne, and the Toronto Symphony.
Bachelor of Fine Arts – Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, 1984