7 Atlas Place, Nesconset NY
Professional writer seeking technical writing opportunity. Background includes technical writing,
educational research, book publishing, and public relations. Publications include 4 instructional books.
Villanova University, Villanova, PA
Bachelor of Science in Education/English Minor, 1997
Dale Carnegie Leadership Program, Ft. Lauderdale FL
10 Week Course on the Principles of Leadership, 2012
DeVry University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Technical Writing Concentration, 2012 - present
DeVry Technical Writing Courses
Advanced Technical Writing & Editing (final grade: A)
Proposal & Grant Writing (final grade: A)
Rhetorical Strategies in Technical Communications (final grade: A)
Marketing & Corporate Communications (final grade: A)
Scientific & Medical Writing (current coursework)
DeVry Technical Writing Coursework
Wrote comprehensive grant proposal. Coursework included searching for funders, analyzing RFPs, determining competitive advantages, and drafting outline. Helped obtain $350,000 grant for Veterans Treatment Court.
Wrote feasibility report to assess funding for water contamination projects in south Florida. Conducted PowerPoint presentation, wrote instructional documents, media releases, and designed visual information for document.
Media Relations Writer
Wrote product brochure, created PowerPoint presentation for media relations plan, conducted analysis of annual company reports, and assembled comprehensive crisis management plan for course project.
Technical Manual Writer
Contributing member of group project to create a webcam user guide (process included finding subject matter experts, assigning workflow to writers & editors, gathering instructional data, using version control, executing document revisions.
Atlantic Publishing Group, Ocala, FL 10/09 – present
• Developed book outline and wrote chapters for editorial review.
• Created case studies with trained and licensed industry professionals.
• Collaborated with project manager to meet production deadlines.
Instructional Books Authored
• Ten Minutes to Deep Meditation (11/13 – 6/14)
• How to Present Negative Medical News in a Positive Light (3/13 – 10/13)
• How to Get Your Amazing Invention on Store Shelves (1/11 – 1/12)
• How to Open & Operate a Financially Successful Private Investigation Business (10/09 - 6/10)
Arcanum Books, Inc., Nesconset, NY 2/03 - present
• Wrote web content for www.cybernetica-book.com.
• Set up merchant account and generated customer purchases through marketing campaign.
• Generated reviews and arranged author appearances at bookstores through regional managers.
• Sold books at conventions and book fairs. Conducted radio interviews.
• Established business partnerships with Barnes & Noble, Borders and major independent chains.
• Created press kits and established partnership to national wholesalers Ingram and Baker & Taylor.
• Cybernetica (Science Fiction, 2/03 – 10/04)
• Developed treatment, beat sheet, and character backstories.
• Created marketing materials (logline, synopsis, and query letters).
• Cybernetica (Science Fiction, screen adaptation, 7/14 – 8/14)
• The Early Novel (Drama, 11/12 – 4/13)
• Smart vs. Stewpit (Comedy, 7/10 – 10/10)
Robert McKee Story & Genre Seminar, New York, NY
• 1 Week Course on the Principles of Story Structure in Feature Film
• 1 Week Course on the Principles of Genre and Television Writing
Freelance Media Consultant 11/08-7/09
• Sold ad space for Celebrate Austin, a seasonal hardcover advertising publication.
• Edited and formatted articles for physicians who publish drug allergy and anaphylaxis medical journals.
Knobias, LLC, Ridgeland, MS 8/07 - 8/08
Financial Analysis Feature Writer
• Wrote feature stories for subscriber news section.
• Broke important news to investors by analyzing company data and investor filings.
• Established and maintained relationships with Investor Relations departments.
HarperCollins Publishers, New York, NY 2/00 ¬- 1/03
• Converted over 200 author manuscripts to first-pass galleys.
• Formatted late-stage galleys to match editorial standards.
• Liaison to freelancers and offshore billing accounts.
• Handled books contracted for movie release such as The Incredible Hulk and Spider Man.
Syntax Communications Corp., Bohemia, NY 9/97 - 1/00
Staff Writer/Production Coordinator
• Wrote, edited and produced newsletters, press releases, brochures, speeches and video scripts.
• Captured and organized media coverage from News 12 Long Island and NBC News.
• Published over 100 articles in Suffolk Life and New York Newsday.
Microsoft Word 2010 Microsoft Excel 2010 Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
Adobe Acrobat Final Draft 7.0 Quark X-press
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION SKILLS
Understanding of keyword generation, optimization of blog posts and tags, creating backlinks, Google Analytics, evaluating web competition, and creating sitemaps
Mississippi Animal Rescue League, Jackson, MS
• Assisted in first aid procedures for stray animals.
• Helped run adoption events.