Editor, Proofreader and Professional Writer
Bachelor of Arts with Major - English, Rhetoric and Discourse Studies 2013
Brock University, St. Catharines, ON
Ontario College Diploma General Arts and Science 2005
Fanshawe College, London, ON
Creative Writing Certificate Program 2003
University of Western Ontario, London, ON
RELEVANT WORK HISTORY:
Freelance Academic Editor – Level Bronze-1
EditMyPaper.ca, Toronto, ON May, 2014 – Present
• Edited academic Humanities/Social Science papers submitted to the website for basic
grammatical correctness and gave comments to improve writer performance.
• Helped students who were not skilled in English (including ESL) to succeed
academically by my work allowing them to submit well-written essays.
Guest Blog Writer
Every1Games.ca, Toronto, ON April, 2014
• Wrote the blog entry Autism and Anxiety; “Why, exactly, am I upset?” for
Every1Games.ca, a website devoted to helping autistic individuals excel in the gaming
industry. My entry spoke from personal experience, to help other people with autism.
• Blog can be viewed here: http://every1games.ca/aspie-anxiety/
Smart Computers, Burlington, ON March 2014 – Present
• Evaluated and developed content for store’s electronics liquidation products on Amazon, Ebay and Kijij to better inform customers and assist with purchasing decisions
• Used rhetorical skills in online customer correspondence to provide effective customer service, demonstrate professionalism, and resolve issues appropriately
Assistant Editor, Contributing Writer and Company Representative
Pop Seagull Publishing, Hamilton, ON October 2011 -- Present
• Editorial/writing duties at an online speculative fiction publishing house. Assisted the
CEO in developing professional-level content for small press novels and short story
anthologies. Edited for grammar/spelling, plot consistency, and gave advice to writers on
how to improve their work before final publication.
• Contributing Writer and credited editor for the anthology Spirits of Suburbia. Wrote
the fantasy short story “The Staircase Leading Up”.
• Sales Representative for Pop Seagull at various literary conventions since 2011. Sold books to customers at the company’s booth and answered questions about their content.
The Brock Press, St. Catharines, October , 2008
• Contributed to the October 21 editon of the student newspaper, The Brock Press, with the article “Brock a Major Inspiration in Student’s First Published Short Story” - Page 15, Arts
and Entertainment section.
• Worked with the Brock Press’ Arts and Entertainment Editor to write a professional-quality newspaper article highlighting a fellow Brock student’s achievement in the field of literature, bringing news of this achievement to the Brock community.
• Copy (both digital and print) available upon request.
Office Clerk – Editorial Assistant
Sterling Marking Products Inc., London, ON August 2008
• Assisted Sterling’s Health and Safety Inspector in editing the company’s Health & Safety manual, an internal document for Sterling employees. The Inspector requested me for this task specifically because of my education in English.
• Co-wrote new chapter on company ****** harassment policy. Assisted the Health and Safety Inspector on word choice to communicate the company’s policy in the most straightforward and efficient way possible.
• Proficient typist at 50 words per minute
• Computer skills include fluency in Microsoft Office, mostly Word and Excel, some Adobe experience with Photoshop and InDesign, and basic HTML knowledge.
• Professional writing training including: technical writing, journalism, organizational discourse and text design / typography
• Member, A Good Idea Writing Club, St. Catharines, ON, 2009
o Editing and reviewing works of fiction
• Member, Brock Varsity Fencing – Women’s Epée, St. Catharines, ON, 2008-2010
• Member, Brock Ecology Club and Anime Club, St. Catharines, ON, 2006-2007
References Available Upon Request