Expert in content development and managing projects requiring a high level of attention to detail. Efficient working independently, leading teams, or serving as an integral team member. Effective communicator and point person with clients, key opinion leaders, teams, and supporting departments thereby enabling the development and delivery of complex, concise products and services. Seeking a role that will capitalize on my accumulated skills and capabilities.
Freelance Publishing Professional
November 2013 to Present
Contract editor providing editing services for authors and publishers of professional and graduate-level medical publications and products. Primary services include developmental (substantive) editing, proofreading, process management, rights and permission resolution, and coordinating and managing contributors' efforts and deadlines.
Elsevier, Inc., Philadelphia, PA
December 2004 to November 2013
Senior Developmental Editor/Managing Editor
Editor and manager responsible for the development of complex and high-quality print and electronic textbooks and clinical reference titles for an audience of medical school students, instructors, physicians (both generalist and specialist), surgeons, and clinical researchers.
- Led a five-person team of junior, mid-level, and senior editors. Assigned projects based on individual capabilities and maintained balanced workloads so that all projects received thorough attention and published on time. Team maintained an average on-time delivery and publication rate of 98% for 2012 and 2013.
- Personally oversaw the full developmental editing cycle titles annually representing approximately 30,000 pages of highly technical, sophisticated content and delivered on time and on budget with over 95% frequency. These 54 titles produced revenue in excess of $17 million over the 9-year period. Three titles won prestigious awards from the British Medical Association.
- Controlled all aspects of day-to-day product and content development from contract planning and initiating through design and layout, text and artwork development, to book production and final product availability.
- Worked closely with authors, editors, and contributors to keep them on task, on schedule, and motivated. Primary contact providing any and all support possible to assist them with meeting their goals and completing their part in the overall development of the product. Some projects included in excess of 100 such participants.
- Partnered with the Content Strategy, Design, Production, and Digital Content teams to develop products and strategies that optimized the presentation of instructional and clinical content.
- Developed and implemented a mentoring program that increased retention of key talent by educating junior staff members through a process that enabled them to migrate onto developmental and editorial teams.
- Created and established processes that transitioned workflow from print-based to digital-based thereby improving efficiencies and shortening throughput time from manuscript to finished product by 30% and reducing development expenditures by 99%.
- Leader working closely with strategic planners and key authors to identify and develop content from print products into ancillary digital products, such as smartphone apps, then conducted test-marketing to customers for feedback and acceptance.
- Designed the user interface and created the software test plan for the highly-successful in-house–produced manuscript submission and document management system.
Freelance Developmental Editor
April 2002 to December 2004
Contract editor responsible for developing original manuscripts into organized and complete submissions.
- Ensured consistent format and style throughout the product; performed art assessments; established document version control and tagging of features; completed publisher permission requests; and maintained all associated project control documents.
- Supported client initiatives to publish complex, high-value critical titles on schedule by identifying and reducing process bottlenecks, assisting contributors with meeting their commitments and deadlines, and identifying and resolving material defects.
- Developed 12 medical reference titles for 2 publishers totaling 25,000 manuscript pages.
- Provided editorial support, guidance, feedback, and motivation to physician-authors in the development of their manuscripts for publication.
- Researched technical options and provided development and testing support during the production of electronic products for PDA, CD-ROM, and Internet platforms.
Medical Broadcasting Company (now Digitas), Philadelphia, PA
January 2001 to March 2002
Project Manager, Interactive
Project manager at a top-50-rated, award-winning, advertising agency leading teams of designers, artists, writers, and Web developers in the delivery of Internet campaigns and electronic products for the pharmaceutical industry.
- Managed a $4-million 15-project Internet program comprising multiple Web sites, media plan and banner ad campaigns, and complex “push” e-mail program.
- Resurrected a 5-year-old eight-product book of Web sites worth over $1 million in revenue and, for the first time, made it profitable.
- Worked closely with clients’ marketing teams to assess and develop opportunities and to provide timely advice and opinions regarding Internet initiatives per each client’s needs.
Systems & Computer Technology Corporation, Malvern, PA
May 1999 to January 2001
Technical Writer/Quality Assurance Team Lead/Process Engineer
- Technical Writer and Process Engineer for the internal corporate initiative to establish an Internet-based methodology comprising processes, activities, and practices for project management; software development; account management; and service delivery based on the Capability Maturity Model and the Project Management Book of Knowledge.
- QA Team Lead and Lead Technical Writer on an international team of 60 engineers tasked with The Weather Channel’s successful Y2K remediation and end-to-end testing programs. Developed, wrote, and maintained all process documentation, templates, and tools.
Mosby, Inc., Philadelphia, PA
October 1995 to January 1999
Associate Developmental Editor/Associate Production Editor
- Edited, developed, and budgeted the publishing of high-quality medical books for an audience of physicians (both generalist and specialist), surgeons, and clinical researchers.
- Produced, copyedited, proofread manuscript and art; performed all tasks involving page layout, design, and typesetting; and supervised bound-book functions.
United States Army, Reserve, and National Guard (Retired)
October 1981 to October 2003
- Senior leader responsible for administration and operational support, organizational training, individual training and career development, discipline, personnel action, and health and welfare.
Bachelor of Arts in History, Minor in Asian Studies
Microsoft Certified Professional—NT 4 Server and NT 4 Workstation; Creating & Configuring a Web Server Using MS Internet Information Server 4; NT 4 Server in the Enterprise; Internetworking with MS TCP/IP on MS Windows NT4
HONORS & AWARDS
- Developmental Editor of the Year, Elsevier, Inc., 2009.
- Member of Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Alpha Theta, and Golden Key academic honor societies.