Helen H. Chung
Los Angeles, CA | email@example.com | 310-966-0208
H2 Communications – Seattle/Los Angeles 2007 – Present
• Develop and manage strategic communications programs for various clients.
• Specialties include media relations, crisis/reputation management, corporate communications, internal communications and product launches.
o Communications consultant for change management program at Hyundai Capital.
o Launched non-profit education foundation focused on Hispanic higher education.
• Founding board member of Libertas College Preparatory – counsel on community outreach and public awareness programs for proposed charter school in South Central Los Angeles.
Cohn & Wolfe – Los Angeles, CA April 2011 – April 2012
Senior Vice President, Technology
• Lead executive for seven-figure global consumer account with Dell Inc.
• Provided strategic counsel on key consumer initiatives and product launches.
• Managed a global team to raise awareness of Dell consumer product portfolio with consumer lifestyle media.
o Managed and successfully executed global launch of Dell’s first ultrabook.
• Lead executive for LG Mobile Communications global account.
• Collaborated with LGMC’s headquarter office in Seoul to provide strategic counsel on U.S. wireless market, and developed launch strategies for company’s key products.
• Managed global agency team.
T-Mobile USA – Bellevue, WA June 2008 – March 2011
Senior Manager, Corporate Communications
• Lead manager for all internal communication strategies for T-Mobile’s Retail Sales channel.
• Developed comprehensive communication strategies for key corporate and Retail business initiatives that drove awareness, understanding and action by Retail employees.
• Launched 4G network campaign to Retail frontline employees.
• Built a communication simplification program that resulted in overall positive ratings with employee communications over four quarters.
• Developed and executed large-scale leadership conferences that resulted in 25% increase in overall employee satisfaction of executive management and the organization.
• Provided senior communications counsel to senior leadership across the company on Sales initiatives, organizational goals and change management.
• Managed PR agency and seven-figure budget for internal and regional external communications.
Clearwire Corporation – Kirkland, WA Feb. 2007 – March 2008
Media Relations Manager
• Developed and implemented comprehensive public relations strategies for strategic corporate initiatives, crisis/risk management, product launches and market roll outs for a publicly held wireless network service provider.
• Lead manager in developing WiMAX communications road map.
• National launch of company’s first laptop card generated positive national coverage.
• Managed external PR agency for product/market launches.
• Managed industry analyst relations and served as primary corporate spokesperson.
• Developed and implemented media training seminars for field executives and counseled corporate executives on media interviews.
• Placed executives in key speaking opportunities and garnered the company’s first industry awards from NXTcomm, WiMAX World and the World Economic Forum.
JLM Partners, Inc. - Seattle, WA June 2000 – Feb. 2007
(Clients included: Cisco Systems, C-COR, RealNetworks, and OpenTV)
• Managed broad range of communications campaigns including public relations, media relations, internal communications, executive communications, strategic counseling, and events and trade shows for start up and publicly traded technology companies.
• Account lead and agency of record for implementing communications strategy for a $761 million anti-trust lawsuit settlement between RealNetworks and Microsoft.
• Established RealNetworks in the wireless and cable industries.
o Launched Real’s first mobile music service with the deployment of Rhapsody for mobile with Sprint.
o Launched Real’s OnlineTV advanced video product and service for wireless and cable industries with Cingular and Time Warner Cable.
• Developed and implemented media training seminars for executive clients.
• Served as spokesperson for multiple clients on various issues ranging from product launches, to funding, to staff layoffs.
Starbucks Coffee Company - Seattle, WA Oct. 1998 – June 2000
Media Relations Program Manager
• Developed and managed pro-active communications strategies for product launches, crisis/risk management, and environmental and public affairs.
• Launched national roll out of the company’s first shade grown coffee in partnership with DC based environmental group Conservation International.
• Provided communications counsel to regional retail executives on issues ranging from lawsuits, to store front protests, to safe food handling.
• Served as lead corporate spokesperson to media.
• Counseled corporate executives on media interviews.
• Managed development of an internal executive media training manual.
• Managed national and regional PR agencies on execution of national corporate programs.
Office of the Governor - Olympia, WA Jan. 1996 – Oct. 1998
Asst. Deputy Communications Director
• Developed pro-active communications strategies for broad range of state initiatives in a fast-paced environment.
• Served as spokesperson for the Governor to the media.
• Managed all media relations activities for Governor at statewide public events.
• Managed international and national press during the historical inauguration of the first Asian-American Governor of a mainland state.
BROADCAST JOURNALISM EXPERIENCE 1990 – 1996
CNN, CNN International, KING TV (NBC affiliate), KCOY TV (CBS affiliate), KACT (Cable)
Producer, Reporter, Writer
• Produced daily newscasts for the leading news station in the market.
• Produced and worked on live newscasts during major breaking news stories including the Oklahoma City bombing and the Gulf War.
• Copy edited and wrote breaking news stories under tight deadlines.
• Field produced for CNN’s Atlanta bureau.
• Developed and researched in-depth reports for evening newscasts.
• Reported general local news stories.
B.S., Journalism and Mass Communication; University of Colorado - Boulder, CO. - 1990
Foreign language: Conversational in Korean