Khalid I Ibrahim
Address: 1019 6th Ave., La Grange, Il., USA, 60525
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: 202-617-8737
Although I started out my professional life as a mechanical engineer, after having received a bachelor’s degree at a reputable American university, my passion was the art and science of translation and interpretation between Arabic, my native tongue, and English, which became my other tongue. For the past 20+ years, I have been totally devoted to translation/ interpretation work.
General Dynamics Information Technology, Rockville, Maryland, October 2010 – July 2014 as Translator for GDIT- Arabic-English Mawtani website (www.mawtani.com).
The Washington Post: Baghdad, Iraq / Washington DC 2003-2010
Journalist and translator. Researched and wrote hundreds of published stories on politics, culture and war; attended and translated interviews with top Iraqi government military and civilian officials; interviewed Coalition officials.
Had numerous articles in own name or shared with other WP staff writers.
Baytul Hikma Research Center, Baghdad, Iraq, 1997-2003
Interpreted for visiting political and diplomatic delegations and supervised more junior associates. Editorial Secretary of Translation Studies Journal, a refereed quarterly publication dealing with all aspects of the art and science of translation.
Baghdad Observer, Baghdad, Iraq, 1993-1997
Journalist and translator at what was then Iraq’s only English Language newspaper.
Iraqi Ministry of Housing and Reconstruction, Baghdad, Iraq 1970-1993
Chief Engineer and logistics expert. Requested retirement in 1993 due to personal reasons.
Works of Translation:
Translated into English:
• Islam’s Message to the West, by a group of Muslim scholars, 1999-2000. The beneficiary was the Laith Publishing House, Erbid , Jordan .
• Research papers, studies, graduate dissertations and articles for Iraqi newspapers and the Ministry of Information and the Al Mamoun House for Translation and Publishing.
• Atlas of Islam, by Dr. Hussein Mu’nis, for Laith Publishing House, Erbid , Jordan (discontinued due to 2003 war).
• Scores of articles and columns published by the Baghdad Observer (Only English daily in Baghdad before 2003).
• Hundreds of articles and features for the General Dynamics Information Technology Mawtani website.
Translated into Arabic
• The Emergence of China as a Super Power, a series of articles and research papers presented by the University of Hawaii, for Baytul Hikma, 2001.
• Assessment of Iran’s Defense Capability, 2002, Baytul Hikma.
• The War on Yugoslavia, by Dar Al Mamoun for Translation and Publishing, Baghdad, Iraq, 2001.
• The Price of Power, a book by American journalist, Seymour Hersh, 1999.
• The Life and Work of Constantine Kafavy, for the Laith Publishing House, Erbid , Jordan . 1995.
• The Rise and Coming Fall of the House of Saud, by Saeed Abu Reesh, for the Research Center at the Iraqi Ministry of Information. 1994.
University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Bachelor’s degree, class of 1970.
Moved to the U.S. in August, 2010; became permanent resident, and will be eligible for U.S. citizenship by August 2015.