Colorado Springs, CO
High-end, award-winning graphic designer with significant professional experience and a keen eye for detail. Highly accomplished with expertise in leading profit-generating operations through strategic operations planning, improvement processes, and providing high-end client services. Demonstrated management skills that enhance productivity and drive sustained business performance. Seeking to bring talent to the table in a role with a respected organization that values hard work, creativity, and results.
KEY SKILLS ASSESSMENT
• Excellent management skills and expertise in driving a wide variety of business, including relationship management, business development, and conflict resolution.
• Deep foundation in graphic design, typography, layout, and digital tools.
• Ability to build rapport with key stakeholders and succeed in high-pressure, challenging, and deadline-driven environments.
• Ability to identify if the message of the medium is aligned with the business objectives, goals, mission, and image.
MCGRATH CREATIVE, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO • 12/1996 TO PRESENT
SENIOR GRAPHIC DESIGNER SPECIALIST/ART DIRECTOR
• Successfully launched and currently operate freelance business.
• Conceive, design, and execute a wide range of award-winning projects for a variety of clients.
• Contracted as Interim Art Director for Memory Makers magazine to redesign front and
back of magazine.
• Served as Advertising Art Director for Tucson Lifestyle magazine.
• Designed and executed monthly sale fold over for Decorating Den, which was distributed to all national franchises.
• Conceived, designed, and executed 204-page Home Plans magazine.
• Designed the first website home page for Midwest Living magazine.
• Created comps for Maytag 5 x 7 booklet for the Integer group; originated company editorial concept of “Innovation Starts Here.”
• Routinely execute superior design work in line with client specifications and agency standards to uphold brand name; utilize in-depth communications skills to build client relationships.
• Chosen to design an exceptionally challenging, special editorial story for Northwest Airlines magazine
• Won bid to design two state tourism magazines.
• Selected to design comp layouts for various Meredith Custom Publishing projects.
MATTEL, LOS ANGELES, CA • 10/95 TO 09/96
SENIOR PACKAGING DESIGNER
• One of only two out of 75 designers selected to design and develop packaging concepts for the exclusive adult collector series of Barbie dolls with price points ranging from $70 to over $1,500
• Planned and art directed all photography and illustrations
• Negotiated prices on all outsourced vendors, photographers, illustrators, etc.
• Work closely with clients to develop campaign strategies, narratives, and concepts to execute effective target market design solutions.
CURRENT INC., COLORADO SPRINGS, CO • 02/94 TO 10/95
DIGITAL DESIGN STUDIO MANAGER
• Recruited to initiate and head up the new Digital Design Studio, which was responsible for all design and production work.
• Conceived, planned, and directed all custom photography projects; trained designers in photographic art direction and methodology.
• Assumed responsibility for conceptualizations, freelance negotiation for photographers and stylists, location scouting, prop shopping, propping, photo styling, and general art direction of new photography.
• Worked on various multi-dimensional products including books, posters, compact disc jackets, die-cut products, correspondence seals, cookbooks, wrapping paper, greeting cards, postcards, and other paper products.
• Won Denver Art Director’s awards for two car calendars’ designs.
• Produced 12+ calendars annually.
• Supervised and monitored schedules of 4 digital design studio staff members.
LANDS’ END, DODGEVILLE, WI • 10/92 TO 02/94
ART DIRECTOR/COMING HOME
• Created, planned, budgeted, and directed all location and studio photography for quilt, tabletop, and blanket product lines.
• Designed assigned catalog pages in designated product areas.
• Served as Art Director for designated Coming Home and Lands’ End catalog pages.
• Only Art Director chosen to go on long-distance photo shoots to San Francisco and Chicago.
MEREDITH CORPORATION, DES MOINES, IA • 05/85 TO 10/92
ASSOCIATE ART DIRECTOR
• Facilitated use of first Macintosh desktop publishing system for magazines: prepared equipment budget proposals, tested software/hardware, created file management methods, re-engineered and streamlined copy flow process, resolved applications problems, and incorporated latest application updates into departmental procedures.
• Planned, designed, and directed art production of a quarterly magazine.
• Conducted training programs for editorial staff on desktop publishing applications.
• Collaborated with all levels of staff to ensure smooth and efficient productions.
• Maintained art production budget of $ 2.1 million a year for 31 magazines.
• Created and revised cost workbooks for prepress production of specialty interest magazines.
• Conducted and supervised pre-planning for photography and executed concepts.
• Designed editorial magazine pages and covers, conceptualized and art directed photography, and proofed all phases of magazine production.
• Established 140 S.I.P. Macintosh Handbook used as a reference for designers.
• Supervised five direct reports, approved all layouts and covers, fine-tuned production techniques, and managed magazine schedules.
MASTER OF SCIENCE, INDUSTRIAL TECHNOLOGY/GRAPHIC ARTS,
University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND
BACHELOR OF ARTS, INDUSTRIAL TECHNOLOGY/JOURNALISM & ART
University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND
Magna *** Laude graduate • Dean’s List • Board of Higher Education Scholarship
Graduate Teaching Assistant • Neil C. Macdonald Scholarship
Adobe CS5.5 (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Fireworks, Dreamweaver)
Fractal Design Painter, Adobe Acrobat Professional, QuarkXpress, MS Office.