I am a 2014 graduate of North Carolina's M.A. in English, Composition & Rhetoric. As evidenced in my resume below, I have a diverse range of professional experience in writing and editing -- in the nonprofit sector, composition pedagogy, public relations, academia and creatively.
I look forward to working with you.
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, May 2014
- M.A. English (Concentration in Rhetoric and Composition)
- GPA: 4.0/4.0
- 2014 Distinguished Capstone Project Award
Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo, MI, June 2006
- B.A. English (Concentration in Creative Writing), Magna *** Laude, Honors
- Cumulative GPA: 3.95/4.0; GPA in major: 4.0/4.0
- Senior Departmental Examination in English: Passed with Distinction
ACADEMIC HONORS & SERVICE
- Graduate teaching assistantship, NC State University (2012–2014)
- Certificate of Accomplishment in Teaching, NC State (2014)
- Multimodal Working Group member, NC State (2013-2014)
- Editor, The Cauldron, Kalamazoo College literary magazine (2005–2006)
- Teaching Assistant, Introduction to Creative Writing, Kalamazoo College (Fall 2003)
- Awards from Kalamazoo English Dept. faculty: Dwight & Leola Stocker Prize for
excellence in creative writing, (2006); O.M. Allen Prize in English for best first-year essay
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Panel Presentation: “Designing and Assessing Multimodal Compositions in First-Year
Writing Courses,” co-authored with Juliana Kocksis, North Carolina Symposium on
Teaching Writing, February 2014
- Paper presented: “Evolutionary and Revolutionary Kinds of Love: A Study of Blues/Jazz
Poetry,” NC State English Graduate Conference, February 2013
- Contributor to “What Will It Take,” Chicago Foundation for Women’s anti-violence report,
- Several articles in the Tuesday Blast, Chicago Foundation for Women’s weekly e-
newsletter, June – September 2007
- Poetry published in In Other Words, poetry anthology, 2006; Driftwood magazine, 2006;
The Cauldron, Kalamazoo College literary magazine, 2004-2006.
- First-Year Writing Instructor, English 101: Academic Writing and Research, NCSU |
Fall 2013 –Spring 2014
Designed and taught course in academic writing and research, including basic principles of rhetoric, academic inquiry, citation, grammar and digital composition. Served as a Teaching Assistant, received training in Composition Pedagogy, and then designed and taught courses 2013-2014.
-Communications and Policy Intern (Paid), Institute for Emerging Issues, NC State| Summer 2013; Spring 2014
Supported Communications and Policy teams, including research, writing, and editing. Copy-edited and formatted documents for print and web, drafted letters, and wrote press releases.
-Project Coordinator: Communications, Public Relations & Public Affairs, GBW Strategies, Raleigh | Jan. 2013–May 2014
Assisted with client projects, including writing and editing of marketing communications, press releases, media research and outreach, and competitive analyses.
-Academic Tutor, Academic Support for Student Athletes Center, NC State University | September 2012 – May 2013
Provided tutoring services and editing to student athletes in communications and English courses.
-Associate Program Officer; Grants Manager, Chicago Foundation for Women, Chicago | January 2009 – July 2012
Managed all aspects of the Foundation’s grantmaking, including creation and editing of all orientation manuals and grant application materials; proposal evaluation; applicant advising; and site visits. Promoted in June 2010 from Grants Manager.
-Corporate Project Assistant, Vedder, Price, Kaufman & Kammholz, Chicago | October 2006 – September 2007
Assisted attorneys and paralegals with cases, edited documents, organized files, and prepared client documents.
-Book Group/Writing Circle Facilitator, Literature For All of Us, Evanston, Illinois | Summer 2005
Facilitated book group/writing circle for low-income fourth- and fifth-grade girls; created curriculum, led discussions and writing, edited and produced a poetry anthology.
-Communications Intern, Contributing Writer, Chicago Foundation for Women | Summer 2007
Assisted with writing of weekly e-newsletter, letters to the editor, advocacy materials, and press releases. Advised on website content and design.
-Magazine Editorial Intern, In These Times, Chicago | Summer 2006
Conducted research for senior editors, fact-checked articles and attended editorial meetings.
-U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky Intern, Chicago | Summer 2004
Assisted with constituent cases (primarily relating to immigration), drafted letters, and fielded phone calls.
-Council of Writing Program Administrators
-NC State First Year Writing Program
-Adobe Acrobat, Email, Microsoft Excel (including certification), Microsoft Word, Microsoft
Outlook, Microsoft Powerpoint, Internet Research, GIFTS Grant Management System,
Prezi presentation software, and Moodle –Open Source Learning Platform.
-Graduate course in technical writing, editing and document design, including
Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and MySQL. Designed website: