Art Direction & Graphic Design
104 Marion Pepe Drive Apt B
Lodi, New Jersey 07644
Cell: (201) 835-0926
Art Director/Graphic Designer with extensive experience in Book Publishing and Advertising Design. In-depth knowledge and expertise in textbook design and production from startup through manufacturing as well as higher-education promotional advertising design. Hands-on mastery of current design applications and Macintosh platforms. A proactive self-starter and conceptual thinker with tireless creative initiative.
Adobe CS4 Creative Suite: In-Design, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat
Quark X-Press v7
Universal Type Client and Extensis Suitcase Font Servers
Macintosh platforms: Mac OSX; FTP (Interarchy)
Safari and Mozilla Firefox
Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Entourage (email)
PEARSON EDUCATION PRENTICE HALL, Upper Saddle River, NJ
(formerly Paramount Publishing and Simon & Schuster/Prentice Hall)
Art Director, Humanities & Social Sciences/World Languages 2007 – 2010
Promoted to Team Art Director of World Languages textbooks. Managed long-term design projects.
• Utilized current design applications/platforms i.e. InDesign CS4, the Adobe CS4 Creative Suite, Quark Xpress v7.0, and Universal Type Client.
• Led Team Design Meetings to review and discuss new layouts/concepts.
• Prepared design budgets and tracked individual project spending.
• Submitted regular reports to Senior Management on project schedules and progress.
• Collaborated with Media Teams on covers, artwork, etc. for digital versions of texts.
Associate Designer / Senior Design Coordinator, Careers & Technology 1994 – 2007
Provided design support services to Team Art Director. Oversaw several individual projects.
• Collaborated with Editorial/Marketing to establish New Edition themes and design direction.
• Reviewed Design Startup Packages for completeness and assigned to freelancers.
• Corresponded regularly with Production re design schedules, especially Final Approvals and Template Creation for Full-Service Vendors (paging and composition).
• Reviewed Sample Pages through Final Chapters to ensure design specs were followed precisely.
Senior Designer, College Advertising 1990 – 1994
Oversaw promotional campaigns and managed creative budgets on multiple cross-discipline projects, collaborating with Staff Copywriters and Marketing Managers on design direction.
• Designed and produced multi-piece ad campaigns in advance of textbook manufacturing.
• Commissioned Photographers and attended shoots of theme imagery for campaigns.
• Researched project-specific imagery i.e. stock photos or illustrations
• Created original graphic illustrations in support of concepts.
• Transitioned smoothly to desktop design (i.e. Macintosh) from previous manual methods.
Designer Trainee / Junior Designer, College Advertising 1987 – 1990
Created brochures from thumbnail concept through mechanical for multiple disciplines using traditional methods (tabletop layout with art supplies and mechanical tools).
• Collaborated with Staff Copywriters and Marketing Managers to mesh written content with creative goals/conceptualization.
• Attended Press-Checks to ensure actual printing matched final design specs and color expectations.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Trenton State College (now The College of New Jersey)
Bachelor of Arts in Advertising Design
Pearson’s People Development Network:
Oracle R12 and Documentum New Systems and Database Training Fall 2010
Getting Started with Universal Type Client February 2010
InDesign CS4 Levels 1-4 Level 1 October 2009; Levels 2-4 February-March 2010
The Introverted Leader Series 10 week Telecourse Summer 2010
HOBBIES AND INTERESTS
Nature Walks and Historical Sightseeing, Movies, Music-Listening and Concert-Going, Museums, Charity Events, Writing, Singing, Bowling, Biking, Tennis