Currently works as the Web Editor for three beauty/cosmetology magazines: Modern Salon, Salon Today and First Chair. Graduated from Loyola University of Chicago’s School of Communication and School of Arts and Sciences with Bachelor Degrees in Journalism and History. Expertise in digital and print journalism, hard news and feature reporting, copy editing, and photojournalism. Worked at two major media firms in the Chicago area, one a top 100 nationally ranked newspaper and the other a major broadcasting station.
VANCE PUBLISHING – MODERN SALON MEDIA DEPARTMENT 2010-Current
Web Editor for Modern Salon | Salon Today | First Chair 2013-Current
• Manages and supervises the creation and production of all online editorial content for Modern Salon Media's websites.
• Creates, organizes and edits all editorial content on Modern Salon Media's websites.
• Manages the creation and production of all Salon daily e-newsletters.
• Promotes Modern Salon Media's digital content via several social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, etc.)
• Maintains an editorial calendar to keep all Modern Salon Media's websites timely and current.
• Supports staff when covering off-hours news events.
• Responsible for increasing and maintaining traffic to all Modern Salon Media's websites.
• Contributes two print sections in Modern Salon Magazine monthly: Connect and Portfolio
• SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook and Pinterest Administrator for Modern Salon (almost 230,000 “Likes”), Salon Today (almost at 20,000 “Likes”) and First Chair (over 10,000 “Likes”).
Received recognition/bonus from our Chairman, Bill Vance, for winning the "Ideas Initiative" program at Vance. The idea was to execute a Scavenger Hunt across all digital platforms to boost web traffic.
o Ranked as one of the top three Vance employees for highest pageviews.
E-Newsletter Content Production Manager/Associate Editor 2012-2013
Modern Salon | Salon Today | First Chair
• WEBSITES: Developed and posted digital content (news items, blogs, videos, product descriptions and feature articles) for Modern Salon Media's websites.
o Managed e-newsletter content creation and production process.
o Served as unnoficial “Web Editor” for staff and liaison between E-Media and Editorial Departments.
• PRINT: Compiled articles and photos for nine editorial departments in Modern Salon, three departments in Salon Today and four departments in First Chair.
o Modern Salon Sections: Style Watch (6-8 pages of celebrity styles, hair/color/nail trends, how-to’s, news articles), Modern Reports (beauty events), Product Spotlight, Goods (themed roundup of beauty products), Modern Research (survey/stats section), Ask the Experts, Modern Salon Learning (hair how-to’s), Modern Man (men’s beauty) and Face and Body (skincare).
o Salon Today Sections: Service Spotlight, Perspectives, Marketing, Product Round-up
o First Chair Sections: First Glance, First Business, First Nails and Make-up
• EDITING: Edited print pages for Modern Salon, Salon Today, First Chair
• PHOTOGRAPHY: Has attended over 60 beauty-related events, product launches and trade shows. Serves as staff photographer for print and digital content.
• OTHER: Guest judged on eight occasions for student/hair color competitions.
Associate Editor 2010-2012
Modern Salon | Salon Today | First Chair
WFLD-TV FOX CHICAGO NEWS, Chicago, IL 2009
Assistant Producer to Mark Saxenmeyer, Special Projects Reporter
• Researched stories, assisted with scheduling on-air shoots and interviews for on-the-air broadcasts.
• Logged and queued interview tapes/managed file records.
• Transcribed audio clips.
DAILY HERALD NEWSPAPER, Libertyville, IL 2008-2009
Freelance Writer and Features Correspondent
• Wrote hard news and feature stories, centerpieces, news briefs and Best Bets column for Time Out and Neighbor section.
• Appeared on WBBM News Radio 780, worked Sunday Police Beat, and attended Village Hall meetings.
• Wrote three front page articles and one front page business section centerpiece—all featured on front page of Daily Herald Web Site.
LOYOLA UNIVERSITY CHICAGO’S MOSAIC MAGAZINE, Chicago, IL 2008-2009
Managing Editor, Reporter and Photojournalist
• Final-edited profile and trend stories, columns and news briefs of 15 staff reporters.
• Collaborated with Editor, Assistant Editors, Photo Editor, Webmaster, Public Relations and Advertising positions – supervised their activities and set deadlines.
• Photo was chosen to be the magazine’s cover shot.
• Link to Mosaic Magazines (Worked on “Homelessness” issue): http://www.luc.edu/soc/mosaic/index.shtml
NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY’S CHICAGO UNZIPPED MAGAZINE, Evanston, IL 2007
• Wrote reviews for restaurants/retail and specialty store establishments in Chicago neighborhoods: Irving Park, Lincoln Park, Albany Park, Lakeview and North Center.
• Reviews are published in Chicago Unzipped 4th Edition.
BA, Journalism, Loyola University of Chicago
BA, History, Loyola University of Chicago
Studied at Loyola University’s John Felice Rome Center, Fall 2007
• Proficient in Associated Press (AP) Style
• Experience using a Content Management System (CMS)
• Experience with HTML coding
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud's Photoshop and Dreamweaver, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Microsoft Outlook
• Great knowledge of Chicago and suburbs
• Conversational in Spanish
• Savvy with Social Media Technologies—Facebook, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube
• Digital Photography (owns a Canon 40D for assignments)