Postgraduate courses in Communications and Clinical Psychology
Bachelor of Science in Communications and Journalism
International Admissions Assistant: 1999 - 2013
Office of Graduate Studies
Mississippi State University
Starkville, MS 39762
Worked with international graduate students in admissions process.
Utilized Banner system keeping office/student records.
Maintained daily telephone, e-mail, and personal contact with university personnel and students.
Areas of knowledge developed from this position:
1. Visa law and statutes
2. Foreign currency and banking policies
3. Cultural practices/customs: gender clothing, personal habits, face-to-face contact (mainly from individuals from Asia and the Middle East).
4. Communication techniques: focusing on persons whose use of English is limited.
5. English As a Second Language: TOEFL and IELTS tests
Served on Graduate Council subcommittee to set new university policy in place regarding Conditional Language admission for students.
The Webster Progress-Times
Wrote 'hard' news, features, advertising copy, press releases, and political announcements.
Specialties: city, county, school board meetings.
Utilized computers for overall layout, setting copy, and designing advertising schematics.
Shot both news and advertising photography.
Served as business liaison for surrounding counties.
Coordinated meetings between publisher and clients, problem-solving, advertising sales.
Trained new employees in various areas of desktop publishing.
Additional areas of writing experience:
1: Magazines: articles on veterinary medicine (feline) and heavy construction jobs (equipment, roads and buildings).
2. Radio copywriting: 30- and 60-second advertisement 'spots'.
3. Web articles: dermatology and plastic surgery
4. Business letters, reports and other office-related communication.
5. Ghostwriting: articles on advantages of educating prisoners.
Data Control Specialist
Deposit Guaranty National Bank
Grenada, MS 38901
Accounting: payment-on-delivery, demand daily accounts, installment/commercial loans, and savings.
Mail: receiving/shipping materials to different customers within banking systems.
Microsoft Office (Word, Access, Adobe)
Macintosh and Quark
Have performed field investigation work for attorneys and law enforcement agencies.
FBI security clearance required for past position at MSU.