To use my experience, education and foreign language skills in an administrative position to provide excellent service, and be an asset in helping a company to grow and maintain its fullest potential
• Telephone & Front Desk Reception
• Filing Database & Records Management
• Foreign Languages • Tutoring
• Microsoft Word, PowerPoint & Excel
The Reclamation Project, Fort Wayne Indiana, July 2013 - Present
• Interpreter/Translator in Spanish and French for refugees; translating birth, marriage, divorce and death certificates, school diplomas, transcripts, drivers’ licenses and other documents.
Crime Victim Care of Allen County, March 2013 – Present
• Volunteer Interpreter/Translator in French and Spanish for victims of crime. Interpreting for students during school registration, therapy sessions and other occasions.
Hillsborough Community College, October 2011- 2012
• Work-Study: Office Assistant in the Career Resource Center. Served as first point contact for students; assisted them with building resumes, copying, printing and faxing, as well as job searching.
• Served as first point contact for students, faculty and staff who called or visited the main administrative office. Efficiently operated campus switchboard and provided prompt, courteous and knowledgeable assistance.
Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) August 2011- October 2011
• Worked as a Museum Assistant through the AARP program. Operated rides for visitors. Shared knowledgeable information on butterfly species and their habits at the Butterfly Exhibit.
• Assisted in the administrative department with mailing of applications and invitations. Performed other general office duties.
Suncoast Staffing Agency, November 2009 - April 2012
• Worked intermittently via this agency in the library and bookstore departments of Hillsborough Community college as a Student Assistant. Assisted students with obtaining their Student ID cards by taking photos and issuing cards.
• Worked with various companies as a receptionist. Demonstrated proficiencies in telephone and front-desk reception within high-volume environments. Effectively handled a variety of customer service and administrative tasks, and expediently resolved customer issues. Interpreted Spanish/English for Code Enforcement.
Hillsborough Literacy Council, 2007- 2011
• Volunteer ESOL Tutor; taught English to speakers of other languages. Received Tutor of the Year Award, September 2007.
Brighthub Publishing, 2005-2011
• Freelance writer: wrote over 200 articles for publication with this online publication Company.
Trinidad Publishing Company, 1990-1999
• Former newspaper reporter, feature writer and marketing manager.
Self-employed 2000 - present
• Freelance journalist and translator. Translated for several translating agencies in the following languages: French/Spanish/Swedish/German to English. Private language tutor.
Ivy Tech Community College – Fort Wayne, Indiana
Associate of Arts, May 2014
Hillsborough Community College – Tampa, Florida
Kursverkshamheten – Stockholm, Sweden
Basic Swedish, 1982
Karl Duisberg Gesellschäft – Bremen, Germany
Basic German, 1981
Alliance Française – Port of Spain, Trinidad
Advanced French – 1976-1978
Naparima Girls’ High School – Port of Spain, Trinidad
General Certificate of Education Advanced Level – 1964
Honors and Awards
• Commencement Speaker – Graduation, Class of 2014
• Melvin L. Curtis Award – Most Outstanding Graduate May 2014
• MVP (Most Valuable Person) Award, Phi Theta Kappa April 2014
• All – State Indiana Academic Team Award, April 2014
• Excellence in Public Speaking, Hillsborough Community College, April 2013
• Tutor of the Year, Hillsborough Literacy Council, September 2007
References Available on Request