• Healthcare professional with 16 years of Healthcare experience management, billing, project management and information technology experience.
• Website: www.remote-consultant.com (CEO/Owner)
• EMR experience: Cerner (PowerChart, FirstNet, PowerNote & PowerPlan) , Epic (Cadence, Prelude, Resolute & EpicCare), AllScripts & Athena
• Technical training: Instructional designer/developer in both academic and clinical environments.
• Implementation & Optimization (Project Manager): Designed, organized and implemented ambulatory Epic implementation. Communicated with IT, Epic Command Center, & Administrative teams to coordinate computers, printers, faxes, staffing, designing, workflow, integrated and validation testing, meaningful use and data conversion.
• Scheduled and organized several mock go-lives to identify any data, computer, database or support challenges prior to the scheduled go live date.
• Analyst: Identified Cerner challenges due to working in an academic setting with co-signatures (residents & attending physicians). Reporting was not identifying delinquent accounts that were not completed in a 1-2-3-4 sequence. After further research, I identified that many residents and their attending physicians complete documentation in different ways. ED may do 3-1-2-4 based on the case; also if a note needs to be corrected, the attending may forward it to the resident before signing. After compiling a binder of examples and communication with IT, Cerner was consulted to resolve the system inconsistencies.
Division of Health Services 12/1013-Present
Director of Healthcare Services-American BPO
• Facilitate relations with healthcare facilities to provide a staff needs assessment and provide support through professional consultants.
• Screen prospective candidates for specific positions, provide Q & A and testing if necessary.
• Negotiate salaries based on prospective candidate educational and professional background.
• B2B, social media as well as email campaign marketing.
• Website maintenance, creating job postings and updating as necessary.
• Conducting interviews with candidates to ensure reference, background information and resume provides detailed explanation of their work experience.
• Connect consultants in the field with upcoming opportunities to ensure consistent employment from contract to contract.
• Coach consultants on resume writing, professional marketing and branding to help those secure contracts.
Department of Academic Affairs/Graduate Medical Education 11/2012-12/2013
EMR Trainer/Support Analyst (Residents/Medical Students)
• Facilitate face to face Cerner Millennium training for 80-100 residents/medical students rotating with Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Pediatrics, Surgery Dermatology and Ambulatory Clinics monthly.
• Provide Citrix, VPN Remote, Citrix Receiver, HNAUser and AD/LAN help desk support to end users.
• Update, change or modify any accounts as requests are received during rotations.
• Provide Cerner documentation management, Orders, PowerPlans, PowerNotes & Inbox support to residents and attending physicians.
• Train residents and medical students on setting up patient list and clinic schedules in Cerner PowerChart.
• Created instructional designed material used as resources for EMR training and pocket references for providers to use while rounding.
• Review Results Review, Radiology, Lab, Document Viewing, Document Scan Import, MAR Summary, Intake/Output along with MD tab.
• Train residents and medical students on printing various reports and list Cerner.
• Provide help desk support to residents and medical students with Cerner.
• Flow of communication between various departments regarding continuity of care, and GME updates.
Lake Senior Care Center 4/2010-11/2012
Physician Practice Manager-Epic Implementation/Optimization
• Planned and organized the Epic Implementation and Optimization of an ambulatory Geriatric clinic.
• Provided/created instructional material used during go-live to assist providers and staff with any learning curves, questions or system issues that occurred.
• Interfaced directly with hardware and software vendors as necessary to ensure.
• Worked with AthenaNet system, provided support and training to providers and staff. Created accounts, appointment schedules and financial reports and coding audits.
• Provided oversight for continuity of patient data, registration process, posting of charges, clinical documentation, order entry and provider documentation.
• Communicated with Epic team and stakeholders regarding resources needed, work methods and performance standards as opportunities were identified.
• Conducted practice-specific workflow analysis and design, documenting pre go-live and post go-live workflows to ensure a successful transition to Epic.
• Regular meetings, conference calls and on-site group meetings with clinic and Epic team.
• Ensured needs of physicians/support staff were met during Epic implementation and training.
• Shared FAQ’s with answers to staff as a reference in case they had the same questions throughout implementation and optimization.
• Strong customer service and leadership skills needed to provide support to staff and providers prior during and after go live.
• Created additional flyers and workflow screenshots to assist providers and staff to be successful working in the Epic.
Central Business Office 3/2009-4/2010
Supervisor/Physician Trainer-Claims Processing
• Supervising position that involves the managing and counseling 10+ employees’ time, crucial patient issues and claim resolution issues.
• Meet with physician sites monthly to discuss their A/R stats, front-end/back-end denials and make suggestions provide opportunities for training when needed. Involved Cerner, AthenaNet & Rumba training.
• Communicate with office managers regarding front-end processes, coding/claims repetitive holds & patient complaints to come to a resolution.
• Review medical records for claims receiving a global denial to determine if the documentation permits the addition of a modifier.
• Meet with team members weekly to discuss site’s A/R and assist them with any challenges experienced with any of our payers.
• Enter non-contractual adjustments to claims, such as Bad Debt, Hardship or Authorization.
• Ensure that collectors are working their reports on a weekly basis by reviewing their productivity.
• Print reports to ensure that all collectors are touching each account within 30-45 days.
• Counsel team members on workplace conflicts and how to appropriately address differences in opinion.
• Provide tools to assist team members with workplace organization, prioritizing and time management by posting articles and tips on the employee bulletin board.
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital-Baton Rouge Affiliate 11/2005-3/2009
Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center
Patient Billing Coordinator (P/T-Telecommuting Position)
• Created the Patient Billing Coordinator job description and produced forms necessary to get the needed information to promote efficient claim processing.
• Entered all Inpatient and Outpatient encounters.
• Evaluated Outpatient encounters to verify CPT & ICD-9 codes accuracy.
• Reviewed medical records along with the Inpatient encounters to make certain the correct CPT & ICD-9 was selected.
• Communicated with PCP offices to collect pertinent information for new patients to file insurance claims.
Executive Administration 3/2008-8/2005
• Prepared for Physician, Board of Director and Management staff meetings.
• Organized hospital medical staff contact database.
• Setup binders for Management and Medical Staff meetings.
• Act as liaison between physician and patient’s family during and after same day surgical procedures.
• Arranged consultation rooms for physicians to meet the family members for conference after surgery.
Healthcare Certification 9/2002-12/2003
Medical Coding Instructor/Day
• Prepared a lesson plan for 30-40 students daily.
• Instructional designs and e-learning module developer/creator.
• Taught students medical billing, coding and health insurance contracting/negotiating and practices.
• Students were trained on CPT, ICD-9 and HCPCS coding.
• Provided scenarios on insurance utilization and calculation co-pays, coinsurance and deductible balances.
• Trained students on charge entry and batch balancing on Medical Management software.
• Test and quizzes prepared weekly to evaluate students’ skills. Several versions were prepared after a student was caught cheating.
• Responsible for maintaining a grade book and student attendance.
Business Office 11/1998-9/2002
• Prepared A/R reports daily for receptionist to collect patient balances.
• Discussed and arranged payments for bad debt accounts.
• Explained patients’ out-of-pocket expenses based as it related to their scheduled medical service.
• Evaluated all scheduled patient accounts for balances, charges that had insurance filing discrepancies, medical coding issues, referrals, preauthorization or demographic concerns.
• Received calls and counseled patients regarding bills received.
• Reduced the amount of account balances and bad debt accounts by being patient and taking the needed time to explain balances to the patient.
• Scheduled appointments as needed.
• Contacted insurances and requested preauthorization for scheduled procedures.
Mortgage Lending 8/1997-11/1998
Mortgage Release Specialist
• Processes requests for release of mortgages received from mortgagors, lenders, title companies and attorneys.
• Ensures compliance with state and investor guidelines.
• Researches accounts to locate missing documentation necessary for lien release production.
• Handles customer communication, both verbal and written, during release process.
• Performs quality control review on prepared releases to ensure minimal rejections.
• Reviews reject and failed check reports.
OUR LADY OF THE LAKE - Baton Rouge, La
Bachelor of Science: Health Service Administration 2005
SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY A & M COLLEGE - Baton Rouge, LA
Bachelor of Science: Microbiology 1997
• Cerner Applications 2005-2013
• Athena 2009-2012
• 3M Coding/Reimbursement 2009-2012
• Epic 2010-2013
• AllScripts 2010-2013
• Lawson/Payroll/Reporting 2009-2013
• Groupcast/IDX 2009-2010
• Microsoft Office
• Medical Manager