Freelance Editor & Writer (January 2000-Present)
• From January 2005 to April 2013, wrote and edited for Springer Vision Care (formerly a division of Wolters Kluwer Pharma). Specifically edited for monthly magazine Contact Lens Spectrum. Used Adobe InDesign, Mac OS X and Quark XPress 7.
• Edited a nonfiction book about a nurse’s firsthand experience treating HIV and AIDS patients.
• Wrote content for new od, a monthly e-mail newsletter and also Informed OD, a quarterly e-mail newsletter.
• Acted as managing editor for e-dr.com, a quarterly custom publication explaining technology to eyecare professionals.
• Performed Web updates on Optometric Management’s Web site. Duties included editing and posting content from current issue plus writing special Web content.
• Updated and wrote medical essays for the Gale Encyclopedia of Nursing and Allied Health.
• Wrote marketing copy for Vistakon, a division of Johnson & Johnson, concerning its Acuvue products. Created copy for educational CD-Rom on its Acuvue Bifocal.
• Filled in for vacationing Wolters Kluwer Web editor and oversaw deployment and creation of video e-mails, e-newsletters, and targeted e-mails to WK clients. Managed Web designers and consulted with advertisers for deployments.
Dissertation/Proposal Editor (January 2012-Present)
• Work with candidates to fine-tune dissertations and proposals. Edit for content, clarity, and style. Use APA style, MLA style, and Chicago Manual of Style.
Boucher Communications, Inc. (now Springer Vision Care)
Associate Editor (June 1997-December 1999)
• Recruited articles, wrote, edited and proofed bluelines for two monthly magazines, Ophthalmology Management and Optometric Management.
• Wrote monthly news sections for both magazines.
• Helped create, design and edit Web site for Optometric Management.
• Developed article art concepts with art directors.
The Kansas City Star
Copy Editor/Paginator (1995-1997)
• Edited 10 or more articles and paginated a minimum of four tab pages daily for several twice-weekly zoned editions.
• Coordinated reporters and photographers and designed an approximately 28-page news section for vacationing editors.
The Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette-Mail Metro
Reporter/Copy Editor (1988-1994)
• Covered county government, municipalities and education in western and eastern sections of Kanawha Valley for weekly zoned editions and for The Charleston Gazette. Organized, assigned and edited articles for special sections.
West Virginia University B.S.-Journalism