Freelance Editor, Proofreader, & More
20 years experience as an Editor/Writer and storyteller. Experience in publishing. English speaking. Bilingual at government level in French oral and comprehension. Some Spanish.
Specialist in launching crowd funding campaigns, law enforcement and health scientific writing.
Current : assisting Terrace Wellness get prototype for mental health Snapclarity APP to market via strong communications/government relations
2012-2016 Senior Public Affairs Advisor - various clients
Freelance writer of over 50 press releases for California-based social media experts to launch crowd-sourced funding campaigns via Indiegogo, Kickstarter and others.
April - Sept 2015 Speech writing for Assistant Deputy Ministers, and senior communications adviser Transport Canada - Marine Security and Safety
November 2014- April 2015: Electronic Communications Advisor (ECE) with Health Canada. Responsible for strategic review of web content, recommendations for placement and timing of placement. Analyze ways to leverage content placement and provide optimal exposure for both internal clients and Canadians on Health Canada and Government of Canada Health-related websites. Working within team of web publishers, writers,social media and creative experts as client-liaison. Responsible for advising clients on content migration to new 'one Canada.ca'.
May - Nov 2014 Senior Writer Department of National Defence Canada (Science and Tech - DRDC)
Skills and Talents
Children's Book Author: Published Canadian author of two children's books (Baico Publishing, Ottawa)
Sophie the Pumpkin Patch Fairy Sept 2014! Check out Sophie's Facebook page
Five Loons - see www.fiveloons.ca - published Oct 2009.
Dabbled in writing other fiction and facts.
12 years as a senior national RCMP communications adviser including : writing, editing and online editing, reputation management, and executive level communications products.
Editorial board member: Elimu Canada.
Former Editorial Assistant - Carleton University Press - responsible for proofing/editing final copies of author's works prior to production. Also responsible for planning events to promote books (book launches etc).
Career profile: I have a strong and varied communications background with 20 years ‘real world’ experience in both private and public sectors. My strengths include strategic communications, special event planning, marketing/advertising and media relations. I am a strong strategic thinker who enjoys challenge.
• Security Clearance – Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
• Secret clearance with Public Works (PWGSC) January 2013 (issued 2013)
• Spoken Languages: bilingual English, French (CBC), some Spanish
• Additional Training: Managing in the Public Service, Evaluating Comms. projects
• Media Relations: Media relations, Strategic Management, Evaluating social media
Web Writer/Editor (1996-2013)
Over 15 years writing for both government and private sector organizations. PR Advisor and editor for health organizations and special interest (e.g. travel, Immigration Canada, Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse).
• Extensive experience simultaneous proofreading/editing bilingual web content
and traditional media writer/editor for federal government and non-profit agencies
1988 - 1992 CARLETON UNIVERSITY, Ottawa
Bachelor of Journalism and Bachelor of Political Science (High Honours)
1984-1988 HAVERGAL COLLEGE, Toronto
Ontario High School (Honours) Diploma
1992- 2014 Senior Communications Advisor/Writer
• Writer and Editor corporate communications media lines, FAQ, press releases, newsletters, advertising copy, backgrounders for media events, new web content for national corporate sites and high-level messaging for senior management.
• Media relations manager/logistics co-ordinator: for national press conferences with proven media pick-up nationally. Clients included: RCMP Commanding Officer, RCMP Commissioner, and Chair of the Immigration Refugee Board, CEO CCSA
• PR/Strategic Communications Consultant: 20 years of experience writing, editing, and leading strategic communications initiatives for government and non-government clients – writing for web, social media, and ‘traditional’ including annual reports, fact sheets, FAQs etc.
• 2000-2013 Senior Communications Advisor/writer: developed and updated significant public-facing website content (public and private sector clients).
• “Plain language” writing for corporate Twitter, Face Book, and extra-net Fact Sheet/FAQ pages e.g. www.Irb.ca and www.CCSA.ca
• Non-profit experience: Communications Advisor to the Board www.Elimu.ca
2000-2014 Senior Writer (government of Canada and not-for-profit agencies)
• Extensive experience writing for web in plain language (2000-2013)
• Writer and editorial board member (Jan –August 2013) with Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse (CCSA) and Immigration Refugee Board (IRB)
• Write documents and speeches and brief senior officers including Director General and above (e.g. RCMP Deputy Commissioners, CCSA CEO)
• Extensive knowledge of and issues management of high visibility issues
• Extensive (2000-2013) experience in writing and developing media lines and providing strategic advice to senior management (Director General and above)
• Senior writer responsible for writing for corporate web (2000-2013)
Experience in communications concerning North and Aboriginal communities (2000-2013)
10 years + experience analyzing public environment and development of complex communications strategies impacting the communities of the north and First Nations/aboriginal communities
• Extensive experience coordinating communications projects from start to finish including providing strategic direction to senior management and high-level project coordination
• Experience in legislative processes and understanding of legislation impacting the Aboriginal communities and First Nation communities
• Provide strategic briefings for senior communications officials (ministerial level)
• Development of key messaging for media relations and national corporate website on issues impacting the North. RCMP portfolios included First Nations, Metis and northern affairs – frequent liaison with Director Aboriginal Policing
• 2013 CCSA liaison with Nunavut government communications and First Nations leaders
2000-2012 Senior Communications Advisor/PR Manager: Communications Project leader and senior National Communications Advisor (multiple portfolios RCMP National office)
• Extensive experience analyzing public environment including media monitoring, environmental analysis used in the development of complex communication strategies (e.g. first national government strategy re: Organized Crime, public awareness campaign Trafficking of women)
• Communication strategist with experience in missing women (aboriginal affairs)
• Media relations officer, writer and senior communication strategist for Canadian Centre on Substance (CCSA)
• Senior spokesperson and responsible for briefing CEO and Director of Communications on issues of the North for CCSA
• Responsible for developing web content and media lines, speaking points and briefing material related to publication of the Inuit “Meeka Manuals” in English and Inuktitut Extensive experience writing (wide variety of publications and communications products including newsletters, briefing notes, speeches, media lines and communication strategies
January 2013-August 2013 Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse (CCSA)
Senior Communications Advisor and Writer
• Provide strategic guidance to Director Communications and CEO
• Health writer: article for National Post insert and Globe & Mail (published)
Project Advisor to CEO and Deputy CEO for Canada’s first National Prescription Drug Strategy
• Wrote, edited and produced web and non-web communications products including information on substance abuse initiatives impacting the North/aboriginals in Canada
• Led communications strategies from start to finish for high visibility files
• Staged national press conference attended by CEO and Minister of Health
• Engaged in proactive media relations leadership resulted in over 3 million viewers/readers in first 48 hours following national press conference for first national strategy on pharmaceutical drug harms in Canada (2013). Significant use of social media (twitter/live feed/original hashtag), and organization of national press conference.
Sept 1-December 21 2013 Senior Communications Advisor at Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council www.NSERC.ca
• Senior writer responsible for writing, editing and producing a wide variety of communications products in support of organizational and federal government (Industry Canada) priorities. RCMP, CCSA and Elimu. Canada and writing for social media )
March 2011- Present (volunteer) PR Advisor to the Board Registered Canadian Charity Elimu Canada – assisting in education projects in Kenya for children www.Elimu.ca
• Official Communications advisor and spokesperson/ media relations officer for Elimu
• Responsible for coordinating special events and all associated communications projects (lead project and write all material from start to finish)
• Expertise in special event planning and fundraising/public awareness campaigns.
• Significant social media writing and providing guidance for Twitter
March 2000-March 2012 RCMP National Communications – Senior Communications Advisor
RCMP Projects/ Portfolio Files:
Border Integrity, federal policing, major events, terrorism, organized crime, economic crime
• Social Media expertise: Provide strategic guidance for social media content for web, twitter and Facebook (corporate sites) including information on protests, aboriginal issues, organized crime (including on aboriginal reserves) and economic crime
• Developed FAQs, Fact Sheets, and other web-based content to showcase national priorities and public awareness campaigns in support of RCMP and federal government priorities. (2000-2012)
National Communications Advisor NHQ Relocation Project – RCMP (Oct. 2009- Jan. 2012)
• Managed senior level communications/communications project manager reporting directly to national project manager at RCMP headquarters for the National relocation project
• Wrote all internet and intranet content and developed training for security officers
• Senior communications officer responsible for editing RCMP internal and external web content.
• Daily communications briefings and roll-up of significant communications issues for senior management (DG level and above) on national communications issues.
• Direct supervision of web manager for one year (HR/Management)
• Managed production process and web development communications
• Brief senior officials on emerging issues, issues management, and executive briefings for media relations /prepare for Parliamentary Committee Hearings
2009 RCMP National Communications Team Lead Internal Communications
RCMP Senior National Communications Advisor, NHQ Relocation
• Managed communications (internal and external) for National HQ Relocation Project
• Communications manager for Commanding Officer, DG Communications and Project Director
• Wrote and developed all web content (internal and external). Implemented security training and best practices in internal communications outreach to impacted clients
• Web writer - strategic assessment of content
March 2000-Oct. 2009 RCMP National Communications Strategist and writer
Portfolios: National security, Border Integrity, Financial Crime, Drugs and Organized Crime, Major events and RCMP Special Events
Public Relations Manager – Sctoom Incorporated (NZ) Ltd. New Zealand
• Public Relations Manager and chief Copy writer for Sctoom Advertising agency
• Determined strategic communications direction for Sctoom advertising agency and clients.
• Project manager: developed concept and logistical execution of communications for Gulf Harbour Jazz and Wine Festival (NZ).
• Budget oversight: Managed $200,000 event budget for project and all associated HR
December 1996-March 2000
RCMP Editor/Writer of national labour relations newsletter
• Editor and writer of RCMP’s first National labour relations publication (monthly newsletter circulation 20k all employees)
• Reported directly to national executive committee
• Attended all caucus, conference and special event meetings as journalist
• Managed print production, liaison with translation services and creative services