12315 Ridgemont Drive
Urbandale, Iowa 50323
Creative and passionate design professional with experience in publishing, marketing, and advertising. Consistently produces innovative and strategic design solutions that target the needs of the consumer, brand, or client. Collaborative team player and self motivated learner with excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Proven leadership experience and ability to manage multiple projects that meet budget and deadline demands.
IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION, Ames, Iowa, June 2010 - May 2011
Senior Graphic Designer - Development Communications
Manages the daily operations of graphic design department and oversees all visual communication for the Iowa State University Foundation. Effectively conveys key messaging on behalf of Iowa State and ISU Foundation to donors, alumni and the community while maintaining brand integrity. Supervises design staff and the production (in-house and commercial) of all pieces.
* Produces more than 150 brand-unified electronic and print communication materials annually, including specialized donor materials, Connections magazine, newsletters, events materials, emails and direct mail.
* Consults with various clients to interpret and analyze their communication goals and develops creative solutions to effectively communicate messages to target audiences.
MEREDITH CORPORATION, Des Moines, Iowa, 1998 - 2010
Associate Art Director - Special Interest Media (2009 - 2010)
Promoted to manage and art direct the design and production of the bimonthly magazine, Remodel, a Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publication. Developed the overall visual plan, 4-color editorial pages and spread layouts, and covers for each issue. Collaborated with editors, stylists, photographers, and illustrators in the conception and execution of each editorial story. Art directed location and studio photography for interiors, products, and covers. Managed the workflow and responsibilities of junior level designer, as well as freelance personnel including illustrators, photographers, stylist, and designers. Managed photography and freelance design budgets. Worked with production and quality departments through final print production.
* Redesigned and introduced new visual approach for the March 2010 issue of Remodel magazine which increased newsstand sales and advertising, achieving a 36% sell through, the highest sell through in the past 3 years
* Collaborated and developed new brand position and mission statement for Remodel magazine which distinguished the brand in the marketplace and separated it from competitors
* Developed new departments, fonts, templates, and style sheets in Remodel March 2010 issue which made for concise, organized delivery of information and clear reader service
* Introduced new work flow approach for Art and Editorial teams which increased efficiency and collaboration
* Executed and designed editorial layouts which achieved and met service bureau and printer deadlines
* Successfully managed photography and travel budgets which met and exceeded corporate standards and guidelines
Associate Art Director - Special Interest Publications (2005 - 2009)
Managed and art directed the design and production of the quarterly magazine, Beautiful Homes, a Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publication. Job description mirrors position above.
* Implemented new visual approach for plan pages in Beautiful Homes Winter 2008, which strengthened reader service
* Developed new departments for the front of book section of Beautiful Homes Winter 2008 which made concise, organized delivery of information
* Added new product coverage and approach throughout main edit pages which increased advertising interest and sales
* Collaborated with editorial staff to develop new mission statement which distinguished the brand in the marketplace and separated it from competitors
* Received Managerís Choice Award for Beautiful Homes Summer 2007 in recognition of increased newsstand sales compared to previous year
* Achieved Managerís Choice Award for Beautiful Homes Winter 2008 for innovative visual and editorial approach and solutions
Assistant Art Director - Special Interest Publications (2001 - 2005)
Designed and managed up to 7 magazines for Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications in the building and remodeling categories. Art directed interior, do it yourself, and product photography for assigned titles. Managed multiple freelance projects, including freelance designers, illustrators, and budgets.
* Organized and updated publishing schedules, and managed photography calendar for team of 4 designers and over 20 assigned magazines which saved cost and created efficiencies
* Trained and mentored summer design intern to increase knowledge about publication design and experience a corporate setting
* Designed cover for Beautiful Homes Fall 2004, with a sell through of 42%, the highest sell through in two years
* Recognized with Group Vice Presidentís Awards, 2001-2005, for increased newsstand sales
Senior Graphic Designer - Special Interest Publications (2000 - 2001)
Designed and produced magazines for Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications in the food, garden and lifestyle categories. Assisted in art directing, planning, and styling location and studio photography. Managed freelance illustrators for assigned titles. Reviewed final film and tracked through the scanning process.
* Collaborated with Art Director to produce innovative photography for garden products which increased advertising sales
* Organized models and food stylists which achieved quality and efficiency for photo shoots
* Received Group Vice Presidentís Award 2000 for increased newsstand sales
Graphic Designer - Special Interest Publications (1998 - 2000)
Designed and produced 4-color editorial pages and spread layouts for Better Homes and Garden Special Interest Publications for select Garden titles. Collaborated with editors, photographers, and copyeditors. Reviewed and identified final film and tracked through the scanning process. Prepared digital files for printer and reviewed color proofs for quality approval.
* Designed the premiere issue of Landscape Solutions magazine from concept to final production
* Developed the new logotype for Perennials magazine which ensured clear legibility and ultimate presence on newsstand
* Collaborated and developed departments, templates, and style sheets for Perennials magazine which organized the delivery of information and increased reader service
* Managed and hired illustrators and ordered stock photography which kept overall photography cost low and met magazine budget
PRINCIPAL FINANCIAL GROUP, Des Moines, Iowa, 1997 - 1998
Senior Production Artist
Designed and produced marketing materials including quarterly reports and brochures, and monthly newsletters for the marketing department in the Commercial Real Estate Division. Worked with writers, marketing manager, and graphic's team to produce quality product that consistently met deadlines and budget.
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Graphic Design
Iowa State University, 1995
ADAI, Art Directors of Iowa
Macintosh OSX; Adobe Creative Suite:
Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator,
Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat,
Microsoft Office and Quark Xpress