Address Wimbledon, London SW19
Telephone 07535555071 (mobile)
Over 17 years publishing experience in producing commercial publications for institutions and associations
in the voluntary sector; with an MSc in European politics. An intelligent motivated editor, who works
positively in a team environment. A meticulous organiser with creative flair; always looking to deliver results
who relishes new challenges.
Key transferable skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and liaise verbally and
visually with staff and clients at all levels.
• Ability to analytically evaluate, process information critically to a corporate house style, and on budget and to deadline.
• Instinctively creative to page layouts and complementary imaging.
• Meticulous eye for accuracy and attention to detail, capable of solving problems through negotiation and persuasion.
• Proven project management and organisational skills, self-management, prioritising workloads and ownership of decisions.
• Microsoft Office Suite,
• Apple Mackintosh (OS systems)
• Adobe In Design (Creative Suite) 2
• Adobe Professional
• Internet, intranet, Access databases, FTP
• Basic XML
Production Editor 2001 – 2010
Thomas Telford Publishing, the Institution of Civil Engineers, London E14
• Initial material appraisal, produced manufacturing costs/budget for projects, created three, six and nine month schedules.
• Commissioned, briefed and liaised externally throughout the lifetime of a project with authors, project managers, copyeditors, proofreaders, typesetters, illustrators, cover designers, indexers and printers to keep within budget and on schedule.
• Liaised internally throughout the lifetime of each project with commissioning editors, marketing executives, internal specialist departments and line manager(s).
• Carried out quality control checks (copyediting/proofreading) on text, illustrations, design and typesetting to maintain corporate standards. Wrote cover blurb for book jackets.
• Ensured that all titles were produced within specified timeframes and manufacturing costs as internally agreed with the publisher.
• Implemented reprint and print on demand (POD) programmes.
• Received ‘gold’ award for best edited book (in its class) from European construction body for the title ‘Stadium Engineering’.
• Produced over 180 high quality four-colour and mono illustrated technical manuals, monographs and contracts.
• Produced as part of a production team the New Engineering Contract (NEC) – a suite of 24 contracts adopted by the civil engineering industry to modernise contractual relationships.
Marketing and Production Co-ordinator 2000 - 2001
DTZ Debenham Tie Leung, London WC1
• Print management – obtained quotes and arranged print runs, generated production schedules, managed relationships with suppliers in meeting project requirements.
• Project management – briefed, planned and prioritised contact with design and print suppliers.
• Monitored compliance of all literature to corporate guidelines, scheduled distribution of publications and display material, and monitored stock holdings.
Assistant Editor - publications 1993 – 2000
The Scout Association, Baden Powell House, London SW7
• Commissioned and originated work.
• Liaised with and managed authors, designers, illustrators, photographers, internal and external agencies.
• Wrote, copy-edited and proofread new and existing copy.
• Instigated print runs and managed amendments to reprints.
• Produced budgets for printing and manufacturing and tracked projects’ ‘life’ costs.
• Processed copyright requests and general publishing enquiries, undertook office administration.
• Proficiently utilised dtp software to produce a range of high quality fully illustrated publications to fit corporate image within deadlines, one of which has received multiple awards.
• Joint fundraising project with UNICEF UK – producing publications on AIDS awareness affecting Ugandan children for British readership.
• Researched and written historical, creative and technological freelance features for children’s Christmas annuals.
Birkbeck College, University of London: MSc European Politics 1997 – 1999
North East London Polytechnic: BA (Hons.) Cultural Studies 1985 – 1988
South Devon Technical College: Introductory Business Studies 1980 – 1981
South Devon Technical College: GCE ‘O’ levels 1978 – 1979
Audley Park Secondary Modern School: GCE ‘O’ levels 1973 – 1978
Editing for scientific, medical and technical texts 2001
Time management 2002
Adobe CS 2; Quark Xpress 6.1 2007
Project Management 2008
Assertiveness training 2008
Report writing 2009
Interests and leisure time
Photography; reading – history, travel, politics, crime and fiction; cinema, visiting exhibitions and travel
Details of referees can be supplied upon request and may be approached during or after the