JOSE R. SANMARTIN
5501 Dewey Hill Rd. Apt 128 email@example.com c 612-810-1119 (preferred)
Edina, MN 55439 h 763-577-1486
Freelance professional with years of experience in the areas of medical and legal translation and interpretation in a broad range of settings. Trainer of software products to first responders and law enforcement agencies staff. Experienced in understanding customer needs and Organization’s resources and how to blend both to reach desire results. Liaison between management and customer in domestic and international settings. Ongoing Automated Resource Management, IT Business Analysis, Technology Training, Project Management, Technology Support, and Multicultural Services.
TRANSLATOR AND INTERPRETER:
1. Bilingual. Native of Spain, speaking fluent English and Spanish.
2. Management and allocation of resources to implement and deploy technical solutions.
3. Full comprehension of English and Spanish with 30+ years in professional, educational and colloquial settings.
4. Member of the Minnesota Court Interpreters Roster.
5. Member of the Minnesota Medical Interpreters Roster.
6. Freelance professional with over 5 years experience in the areas of translation and interpretation at all levels of complexity.
1. Proven Systems Analyst and Project Manager.
2. Professional Productivity Consultant with leading Fortune 500 organizations.
3. Comprehensive knowledge and skills in budgeting, expense monitoring, team leading, strategic planning and productive client relationships.
4. Software trainer for First Responders clients.
5. Account Manager
(NOTE: THE FOLLOWING ACCOMPLISHMENTS WERE ACHIEVED IN ENGLISH AND SPANISH AS NEEDED)
? Ongoing freelance translation in Legal, Technical and Medical settings and corresponding materials.
? Translated from English to Spanish client-server applications GUI and end-user documentation for Law Enforcement Agencies residing in San Juan, PR, and Guayaquil, EC. The application contained around 8,000 terms
? Provided end-user documentation included how-to and training sections.
? Identification and documentation of customer’s requirements; operational processes; workflows; business practices; and local and State requirements. MS Office Suite, VISIO, MS Project used as needed in this role.
? Designed, developed and delivered training and workshops at customer’s sites. Tailored training materials to provide the customer more accurate and useful use of technology.
? Identified best solution practices to generate solid relationships with clients. The relationships increased product penetration and allowed us to expand and deploy additional applications.
? Identified proper schedules to introduce new solutions and alternatives for the customer to meet their needs and gain an advantage over their competitors while improving their services to their communities.
? Planned application deployments for the customer with minimal downtime and disruption to business operations.
? Developed and managed a project to move automation resources from Travelers (formerly the St. Paul Companies) to MetLife’s infrastructure. The project included H/W, S/W and Application identification and relocation; training and consultation; identified and addressed logistics to migrate Travelers NOVELL Infrastructure to MetLife’s Windows based networks. The project include offices nation wide with a completion window of two years.
? Provided consultation services, developed and deployed a plan to move Organization’s division of over 500 end-users from a mainframe based email messaging system to LotusNotes. The plan included deployment; end-user training; implementation of security requirements; calendaring requirements; etc.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE – MULTICULTURAL SERVICES
SPANISH TRANSLATOR 1996 to present
1. Translation of technical user guides for a software packages serving Law Enforcement communities.
2. Translation of technical, medical and legal documents from English to Spanish and vice-versa at all levels of complexity, as a freelance independent consultant.
3. Translation of GUI presentations for application software packages serving the Law Enforcement communities.
4. Development of testing materials to secure correct translation of the GUI and end-user documentation.
5. Document processes to automate translation and deploy software.
6. Provided technical support and consultation services between non-English speaking clients and Home Office.
7. Gathered customer requirements both in English and Spanish and translate them for audiences of both languages.
8. Provided consultation services to identify client’s business practices.
9. Developed workflow documentation.
SPANISH INTERPRETER 1996 to present
1. Ongoing freelance interpretation services in Legal, Technical and Medical settings for one-on-one or large audiences.
2. Provide interpretation services in Legal and Medial settings.
3. Provide consultation services/guidelines to legal and medical staff about code of ethics and responsibilities of the Interpreter in Legal and Medical settings.
4. Volunteered Interpreting services at public presentations to large audiences. (Interpreted Billy Graham Evangelistic Crusade at HH Humphrey Metrodome in mid 1990’s in a voluntary capacity).
TRAINER 2005 to 2009
1. Software application specific training for Law Enforcement Agency staff (English speaking staff accounts.)
2. Software application specific training for Law Enforcement Agency staff (Spanish speaking staff accounts.)
3. The training is given in multiple sessions of two days each at the customer’s site.
4. Develop training materials in Spanish or English.
VOLUNTEER 1985 to present
1. Assist medical staff in communicating with non-English speaking persons.
2. Interpret in informal settings among people of different cultures with language barriers.
3. Translate written materials for church and social settings.
4. Translate adoption documents for co-workers.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE – INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Positron Public Safety Systems 2005 to 2009
1. Account Management and Support. Provide training (in English or Spanish) for our end users on an ongoing basis.
2. Identify and document customer requirements.
3. Provide technical support and coaching for our customers, either on site or remotely.
4. Manage customer documentation and product release schedules and requirements.
5. Manage software deployment of new installs and upgrades.
6. Identify and document customer workflows and business practices.
METLIFE Insurance Company, Bloomington, MN 1999 to 2004
Largest life insurance Company in US, represented in 50 states, Mexico, Europe, India, world-wide.
SYSTEMS ANALYST 2002 to 2004
1. Chosen to manage the transition of staff and equipment logistics from St. Paul Companies to MetLife following MetLife purchase of St. Paul’s division where I had worked 15 years.
2. Met requirements of Account Specialists by implementing changes in Client Server Data Management System environment.
3. Improved Organization’s competitive edge in the insurance industry by designing, evaluating and deploying projects.
4. Assisted Account Specialists with requirements gathering.
PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTIVITY CONSULTANT 1999 to 2002
1. Coordinated Desktop Lifecycle Mgmt. System, which managed expensing/replacement of desktop computers for 150 MetLife Information Technology employees.
2. Designed and coordinated migration of business client server applications from infrastructure of St. Paul Cos. to MetLife. Project included major software upgrades; i.e., MS Office Suite, from one infrastructure to another, for entire division of 300+ IT/business users.
3. Coordinated infrastructure migration of seven offices nation-wide, which included communication of migration schedules, selection of data to be transferred, selection of data to be vaulted, etc.
4. Developed and coordinated plan to phase out St. Paul Companies equipment while new MetLife equipment was being deployed.
5. Coordinated plan to migrate St. Paul Companies. Email system to MetLife’s environment.
6. Assisted upper management with expense forecasting on new equipment acquisition and software license compliance.
TRAVELERS, Inc. (formerly St. Paul Companies, Inc.) 1979 to 1999
Leading global Company in property/casualty insurance with $8.9B in annual revenue.
The Personal Lines Division of St. Paul Companies was purchased by MetLife Auto & Home in 1999. All resources, including staff, were transferred from St. Paul Companies to MetLife.
1. PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTIVITY CONSULTANT – Monitored and coordinated all automation needs for division with 300+ staff, locally/nationwide.
Led team of troubleshooters and installers.
2. ANALYST – Designed and coordinated major software upgrades that applied to entire Personal Lines Division of St. Paul Companies, St. Paul, MN.
3. WORKSTATION COMPLIANCE – Participated in development and implementation of a workstation platform with a common feel and standards for the entire organization at a global level.
4. PLAN DEPLOYMENT – Developed and delivered training seminars to train staffing in use of new technologies, i.e., Lotus Notes, MS Windows, etc.
5. Developed and implemented plan to migrate staff from Macintosh-based to Windows-based workstation.
6. NETWORK AND DATA SECURITY – Managed, analyzed, and monitored a NOVELL network for division, including: Specific data security parameters for departments such as underwriting, auditing, marketing, IT development, customer support, etc. Developed Macintosh network for over 100 workstations where users could share data and other resources.
7. ASSET MANAGEMENT – Developed and coordinated a plan to phase off (or to cascade for further reuse) equipment across the division.
Advised /assisted upper management with budgeting for new equipment/software acquisitions.
Evaluated new vendor software to analyze its potential value added for business applications. Met budgeting demands by maintaining ongoing hardware inventories.
Met compliance audits by maintaining software inventories.
8. ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS – Coordinated a plan to migrate St. Paul’s mainframe based email system to new Lotus Notes environment.
9. TEAM LEADER – Led the Office Automation Support (OAS) team in Personal Insurance.
10. Team coordinated/deployed equipment/equipment moves for all staff in Personal Insurance.
11. Trained OAS staff on troubleshooting techniques. Team managed resources allocated to Personal Insurance division in Corporate Headquarters.
Provided advisory role with resources in Freeport, IL service center with over 1000 staff. Budget for entire division’s hardware/software was $4M+.
EDUCATION – MULTICULTURAL AND TECHNICAL
MA, ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP, 1994
THESIS CONCENTRATION: SELF-MANAGED WORK TEAMS.
College of Saint Catherine, St. Paul, MN
BS, Management Information Systems/Latin American Studies, 1990
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Course work for: Translation and Interpretation Certification for Medical and Legal settings.
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Obtain certification of Interpreter’s Code of Ethics to become a member of the MN Court Interpreter’s Roster.