• General copy editing and proofreading
• Medical and veterinary copy editing and proofreading
• Writing (articles, books, websites, press releases)
• Excellent reading comprehension and ability to quickly learn new subject matter
• Excellent oral and written communication
• Exceptional attention to detail
Computer • Office:
• Microsoft Office, Open Office, Adobe Acrobat, working knowledge of Photoshop
• WordPress, Blogger, social networking
• Basic HTML
• Google Adsense / Adwords
• Affiliate programs
• Domain registration and website hosting setup
• PC and Mac platforms
• Traditional office machines
2008–Present: Copy Editor • Proofreader • Writer
Proofreading and copy editing services for various types of publications, including health, medical, social media, publicity, and events. Writing press releases, blogs, newsletter articles and website content. Working with clients to ensure timely and error-free completion of projects.
1994–Present: Copy Editor • Proofreader
mL Medcom, Mount Vernon, NY
Copy editing and proofreading medical education and promotional materials on a contract basis.
2008–2012: Web Content Developer • Internet Marketer • Audience Development Manager
Lulu's Village Pub, Port Jefferson, NY
Wrote and updated website content for Lulu's Village Pub. Created and maintained email list. Wrote content for email list and social networking and blogging web sites. Contacted print and online publications to publicize venue’s music schedule.
2008–2011: Proofreader • Copy Editor • Graphic Artist
Avancy Inc., Ronkonkoma, NY
Proofread and copy edited materials, including signage and hand-outs, for private and corporate events. Created simple graphics as needed. Provided on-site support for several events.
2007–2008: Editorial, Marketing & Internet Consultant • Web Content Writer
PopUp Power Supplies Ltd., London, United Kingdom
Wrote and edited website information. Wrote articles for publicity purposes. Created PowerPoint presentations. Edited photos. Consulted with small business owner regarding development and promotion of business on the Internet and in print.
2002–2009: Web Content Writer • Internet Marketer
Crunchy Concepts, Inc., Smithtown, NY
Developed and e-marketed affiliate (e.g., Amazon Associates, Commission Junction) and royalty-based (e.g., CafePress) websites. Wrote content for SEO. Performed research. Used and edited basic HTML coding as needed. Used MS FrontPage for basic website development. Websites include: FerretNews, DepressionPlace, and LulusLive, among others.
1994–2003: Co-Founder & Editor-in-Chief, President
Modern Ferret Magazine, Smithtown, NY
Wrote, edited, copy edited, and proofread all editorial and marketing materials for award-winning magazine, including articles and columns, press releases, instructional brochures, books, and special projects. Wrote veterinary-level articles. Successfully obtained publicity in USA Today, The New York Times, Newsday (Long Island), *******, and PC Magazine, as well as on CNN, CBS News, BBC Radio, and The Late Late Show. Hired and managed freelance writers. Interviewed noteworthy ferret owners, including authors Richard Bach and Tama Janowitz. Performed customer service functions and administrative tasks. Wrote and promoted books (under the name Mary R. Shefferman). Wrote and updated several ferret-related web sites.
1990–1993: Managing Editor • Senior Copy Editor • Copy Editor • Proofreader
Global Medical Communications, New York, NY
Copy edited and proofread medical education publications. Worked with writers, medical doctors, pharmacists, pharmaceutical companies, project managers, and slide and typesetting houses to ensure the timely and accurate completion of projects. Checked references to ensure correct citations. Created tables of contents. Responsible for requesting reprint permissions for tables and figures. Performed some medical writing and rewriting, as needed. Ensured compliance with AMA style and clients’ particular specifications. As Managing Editor, supervised copy editors and proofreaders. Range of projects: journal article submissions, newsletters, slide decks, symposia materials, and monographs. Primary subject focus: the biotechnology field.
• The Ferret: An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet (book), Howell Book House 1996: Comprehensive ferret-care book (as Mary R. Shefferman)
• The Wit and Wisdom of the Modern Ferrets: A Ferret's Perspective on Ferret Care (book), Modern Ferret Magazine Books 2000: Collection of ferret-care columns “written by” the Modern Ferret Magazine ferrets (as Mary R. Shefferman)
• 500 Things My Ferret Told Me (book), Modern Ferret Magazine Books 2002: Humor book written from the ferret’s perspective (as Mary R. Shefferman)
• Modern Ferret magazine (periodical publication), 1994–2003: Editorial columns and numerous articles in 33 issues of the award-winning “ferret lifestyle magazine” (as Mary R. Shefferman)
• Lose Fat Not Faith: A Transformation Guide (book) By Jeremy Likness; edited by Mary R. Shefferman, Golden Summit Inc. 2005: Fitness guide (as Mary R. Shefferman)
B.A. *** laude in English Literature and Writing
Southampton College/Long Island University, Southampton, NY
• Min's Top 12 Magazines (Modern Ferret): Award for editorial excellence
• 50 Most Notable Magazine Launches of 1995 (Modern Ferret), Samir Husni's Guide to New Magazines
• Commendation Nassau County, New York: For public education efforts on the subject of ferrets
• John Steinbeck Award for Poetry
• Readers and Writers of Southampton College Award for Poetry