I am an experienced freelance writer on health care, law, education, transportation and food and drug law, Michael Levin-Epstein
14313 Platinum Drive
N. Potomac, MD 20878
(301) 254-0089 (Cell)
Freelance writer and editor
School Transportation Director, Transporting Students with Disabilities (Federal News Services/Paper Clip Publications); Clinical Trials Advisor, Bio/Pharmaceutical Report (PharmSource); California Workers Comp Report, Workers Comp Bottom Line (Quinlan); California Workers Comp Advisor, Texas Workers Comp Advisor, Ohio Workers Comp Advisor,, Florida Workers Comp Advisor (Providence Publications) , Staff Leader (Aspen); Internet Medicine (MCMC); Bone and Joint Letter, Sports Medicine Digest (LWW); Georgetown Publishing, Business & Legal Reports, Aspen, Managed Care Magazine, Mobility, APTA, Bureau of Policy and Practice, Federation of American Health Systems, Agora Publishing, Manisses, National Health Information, Inc., Global Publishing, National Court Reporters Association; Open Minds
Food and Drug Law Institute
Editor-in-Chief; Senior Vice President, Product Development
Responsible for all aspects of conducting more than 30 conferences a year and online education and publishing the scholarly Food and Drug Law Journal; member magazine Update; six new books a year; and the Food and Drug Policy Forum.
John Hopkins Medicine
Associate Director, Newsletter Development
Responsible for editorial content of three internal newsletters distributed to more than 10,000 members of the Johns Hopkins medicine community.
Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins
Senior Managing Editor, Newsletters
Responsible for publication of more than 20 health care newsletters, in specialties ranging from cardiology to psychiatry. Managed all aspects of editorial and monitored through production process.
Assisted with marketing of newsletters.
St. Anthony Publishing (now Ingenix):
Publisher, Managed Care Team
* Responsible for financial, marketing and editorial performance of $6 million product line.
* Directed launch of more than 25 new products in two years, including nationally cited St. Anthony’s Integrated Health Care 100 Directory.
* Supervised more than 20 employees, recruiting top-flight reporters.
* Formed prestigious Managed Care Editorial Advisory Board, recruiting recognized leaders in managed care.
* Led Newsletter Task Force, setting standards for more than 30 newsletters.
* Led Electronic Publishing Task Force, studying Internet and CD-ROM applications.
* Responsible for all media relations, developing campaign for Integrated Health Care 100 Directory, cited in Washington Post.
Director, Editorial Development
* Overhauled entire editorial process, developing master schedule for more than 100 products.
* Supervised more than 30 reporters, copy editors and managing editors.
* Served as advisor to Data Center, initiating $200,000 National Conference on Capitation.
The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc.
Associate Editor, Health Care Division
* Launched first new division at BNA in more than 20 years.
* Started #1 weekly professional publication of health attorneys, BNA’s Health Law Reporter.
* Helped develop BNA’s reputation for publications covering Medicare, Medicaid, health care policy and regulatory requirements for health care facilities.
Associate Editor, New Product Development
* Supervised launches of more than 20 new products in two-year period, including publications in business, employment, environment, health care, tax and legal areas.
* Initiated new company-wide product development process.
Associate Editor, Conferences and Special Projects
* Successfully managed all aspects of 70 conferences and 150 special reports.
* Responsible for media relations for conferences and special projects.
* Responsible for five publications in labor services, including White Collar Report and Employee Relations Weekly.
J.D., University of Illinois, 1974
M. Ed., American University, 1976
B.A., Union College, 1969
Phi Beta Kappa
Woodrow Wilson Honorable Mention
Social Studies and Science Teacher: Newton, Massachusetts
Law Professor, American University School of Law, Washington, D.C.
regulation and policy.