Yale University, New Haven, CT
• BA May 2012 with Distinction in History. Overall GPA: 3.76/4.0.
• Robert Gries Prize for best senior essay in a field other than European or American history
• H.J. Heinz Company Foundation Scholarship and Joseph and Klara Cohn Scholarship as part of financial aid package
• Sunrise Foundation Travel Grant and John E. Linck and Alanne Headland Linck Fellowship for summer work at a non-profit in Pune, India.
• Proficient in MS Office and Outlook; familiar with both Mac and Windows.
• CPR and First Aid Certified (Adult and Pediatric). Currently in training as Premier Tutor for Kaplan SAT Prep.
• Proficient in Spanish and conversational in Arabic. Learning Dari.
Recreation Assistant, Leeway AIDS Clinic, New Haven, CT, 2012-2013
• Organized and helped lead twenty-five activities a week for the facility’s forty residents, many of whom have histories of substance abuse, mental illness, and homelessness.
• Conducted assessments to determine resident interests and needs.
• Created and led new programs (ex: meditation, book club, poetry recitations).
• Served as a companion to many residents through individual meetings and specialized help.
Yale Campus Volunteer Coordinator, Yale, New Haven, CT, 2008-2012
• Created volunteering program for students and led weekly visits to the facility.
• Organized dance and musical performances for residents.
• Won 2011 Volunteer of the Year Award.
Assistant Site Director, New Haven READS, New Haven, CT, 2013
• Assisted the Site Director in all aspects of program management.
• Facilitated tutoring sessions between children and their tutors; fill in as substitute tutor when needed.
• Actively engaged with students by building relationships with them; handle discipline problems as needed.
• Supervised summer interns and fellows.
Reading Corps Tutor, New Haven READS, 2010-2012
• Tutored seven children from low-income communities each week in remedial reading; paired with many special-needs students.
Research Assistant, Prof. Wietse Tol, Yale Global Health Initiative, New Haven, CT, 2011
• Conducted independent research on mental health screening tools as part of Prof. Tol’s upcoming paper in collaboration with the WHO.
Research Assistant, Sabrineh Ardalan, Assistant Director of Harvard Immigration and Refugee Clinical Program, Cambridge, MA, September-November 2013
• Assisted with review of reading materials and suggestion of new materials for Ms. Ardalan’s course on “Trauma, Refugees, and Asylum Law”
English Tutor, Integrated Refugee and Immigrant Services, New Haven, CT, 2012-2013
• Met recently arrived Iraqi refugees 10-15 hours a week to practice English conversational and writing skills, as well as practice my Arabic.
Volunteer, Deep Griha Society, Pune, Maharashtra, India, Summer 2011.
• Provided classroom management assistance for 15 elementary school students and 25 preschool children.
• Helped conduct HIV awareness campaigns in the city.
• Compiled spreadsheets and wrote reports for Maternal and Neonatal Health directors in order for their Gates Foundation grants to be renewed; wrote articles for the NGO’s website.