With wide-ranging experience in promotional and journalistic writing for print, digital and broadcast, I am looking forward to helping companies gain/maintain their brand recognition via concise and highly effective content.
• More than 25 years’ experience in advertising, PR and journalistic writing for varied clients in varied industries: retail, education, healthcare, insurance, special needs and some technical
• Broad experience in developing and executing promotional communications including: websites, social media, email newsletters, print ads, brochures, sell sheets and media kits
• Ability to tailor my writing to the unique voice of most any publication
• Ability to take complicated concepts and compose easily understood copy to targeted audiences
• Experience in ad sales and maintaining relationships with advertisers
• Extensive experience in planning, promoting and producing events
• Ability to conceive of, create and execute contests on a regular basis
• Procurement of contest prizes and elaborate door prizes for our events
• Superior networking, written and oral communication skills
• Wide-ranging background in radio and television broadcasting as well as in public speaking
The Word Source, LLC 2003-present
Cherry Hill, NJ
The Word Source, LLC is my freelance business under which all of my projects are done. Everything below comprises my freelance career under the umbrella of The Word Source.
Founder & Editor-in Chief 2007-present
Girlfriendz has the distinction of being the nation’s first magazine devoted to baby boomer women, as proclaimed by the founder of the National Association of Baby Boomer Women. With 20,000 subscribers in Southern New Jersey, it is a full-color directly mailed niche publication, now embraced by younger women, as well.
As the creative force behind Girlfriendz, I:
• Procure celebrities to interview for our cover stories
• Generate article ideas and create editorial calendars
• Assign articles to and work closely with writers
• Research and write articles
• Edit, and in some cases rewrite, my contributors’ articles
• Work closely with graphic designers
• Plan, promote and produce events and appearances with attendance consistently reaching or exceeding our clients’ goals
• Create and run the logistics of contests
• Procure prizes for contests and events
• Created the Girlfriendz 5-Point Plan to support our sales team:
o Email newsletter
o Social media
• Design and compose bi-monthly email newsletter for which we garner a higher-than-industry-average open rate
• Perform marketing and public relations
• Public speaker on topics of inspiration to women and target marketing for those in B2B
• Participate in the sales process and maintain relationships with advertisers
Editor-in Chief 1995- 2010
Temple Talk, newsletter for Temple Beth Sholom
Cherry Hill, NJ
Produced a 24 page monthly newsletter. Coordinated articles from contributors, wrote articles, interfaced with advertisers, worked with printer.
Editor-in Chief 1986-2000
New Jersey News,
Newsletter for the NJ State Assoc. of Life Underwriters
Produced a 28-page monthly newsletter. Coordinated articles from contributors, wrote articles, interfaced with advertisers, worked with printer. Planned, promoted and assisted in running four conventions per year with attendance at approximately 3,000 at each.
As a result of co-authoring my book (see “Adding Value to Long-Term Care” below) I was assigned articles by long-term care trade journals. The most prominent ones were Contemporary Long Term Care and Nursing Home Success, the latter of which is defunct; the former now an online magazine.
“Adding Value to Long-Term Care”
Jossey-Bass, a division of Wiley
My co-author devised a philosophy and system that we dubbed “The Value System” which was instituted as a pilot program in a NY long-term care facility. Its purpose was to make life better for the residents, staff and family members there. The Value System was such a success that it won the Governor’s Award from then-Governor Mario Cuomo of New York. I constructed the book proposal and won the interest of two publishers, then proceeded to negotiate between the two for the most lucrative deal. I did extensive interviews with national and international experts in the field, wrote the entire manuscript and did a local book signing tour that included Barnes & Noble, Borders and non-chain bookstores.
OTHER POSITIONS HELD IN THE COMMUNICATIONS FIELD
• Broadcast-Radio: On-air news; 20 years combined at now-defunct WWDB-FM and WPEN-AM. Seven years of my tenure at WWDB was doing news on “Fridays with Frank” hosted by the venerable Sid Mark.
• Broadcast-TV: 4 years combined in cable-TV, both in news and as a talk show host
• Advertising: 5 years combined as an advertising copywriter at Kalish & Rice Advertising, the John Wanamaker department store chain and at SAI, an agency that specialized in cooperative marketing
• 2013 Hermes Creative Award presented by the Association of Marketing & Communications Professionals
• 2012 “Media Advocate of the Year” Award from the National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO)
• 2012 “Woman of the Week ‘You Rock, You Roll’” Award from Philadelphia’s 95.7 BEN-FM Radio
• 2009 “Delaware Valley Entrepreneur” Award
• Four Communicator Awards presented by the International Academy of Visual Arts
• 2 years on the Advisory Committee of the Camden County Women’s Health Conference (ongoing)
• 1 year on the Camden County Parenting Conference (ongoing)
• Recently named to the board of directors for Fantastic Friends, a 501(c)3 that offers socialization to tweens and teens with special needs by pairing its members with neurotypical counterparts
• Board member and Snack Bar Committee Chair for the Cherry Hill High School East Theater Boosters parent organization (ongoing)
• Long time member of the Animal Welfare Association of Voorhees
Rowan University, Glassboro, NJ
BA in Communications with a concentration in Advertising
Graduated *** Laude while working to finance 100% of my education