I am a writer and poet who takes an excessive amount of pride in my editing and proofreading skills. If you are looking for someone to clean up grammar problems, create original stories, write witty commentary about current issues, and not talk over people's heads, look no further. I seek to write articles and blogs that address current events while also entertaining the reader and, perhaps, causing them to think a little more about what is going on in the world.
Mansfield University 2009 Aug – 2013 May
Women's Studies Minor
Microsoft Office Products, to include: Word, Excel, Outlook email/calendar/task list, PowerPoint; Computerized Medical Records
Program Support Assistant, Full time (10/13-Present) 2013 Oct – Present
Veterans’ Service Center, VA Medical Center
• Register veteran patients into VA system utilizing VA policies, procedures, and requirements
• Independently enter travel claims for veterans in Beneficiary Travel window
• Autonomously work outreach events at local venues
• Provide coverage for Administrative Officer of the Day in Emergency Department
• Create, edit, and file program policies and procedures
• Answer incoming calls, direct callers to proper department or provide information
• Process veteran identification cards
Medical Support Assistant, FT (3/05-8/09) PT (8/09-5/13) 2005 Mar – 2013 Oct
Home Based Primary Care, VA Medical Center
• Oversee/supervise volunteers, light-duty staff, and other HBPC clerk in daily tasks
• Prepare and submit reporting tools comprised of various data for HBPC program monitors
• Make travel arrangements for various staff attending educational events
• Prepare meeting minutes and agendas
• Create, edit, and file all Home Based Primary Care program policies and procedures
• Monitor fund control points, order and process education requests for department
• Pay bills for Home Health Agency placements for Bath VAMC
• Answer three incoming lines for twenty staff members, triage calls, and handle emergencies
Writing Center Tutor, Part time 2012 Sep – 2013 May
• Edit, review, and evaluate students’ papers for proper formatting, grammar, and content
• Assist and educate students writing poetry, research essays, and other papers
• Knowledgeable in MLA, APA, and Turabian
Office Manager, Full time 2001 Apr – 2001 Dec
United Services Organization
• Prepare payroll for 3 full-time and 4 part-time employees; pay State and Federal taxes
• Track snack bar receipts, make bank deposits, balance checkbook, pay all bills
• Write, prepare, and transmit weekly “Message From Your USO” to base paper for publication
• Maintain contact with all aspects of media to arrange for coverage of events at the USO
• Send quarterly reports to Washington, DC, office
• Take and prepare minutes for meetings
Secretary to the Physician Executive’s Office, Full time 2000 Sep – 2001 Apr
VA Medical Center
• Developed a Standard Operating Procedures Manual for the secretarial position
• Met with pharmaceutical representatives and arranged Grand Rounds for Medical Center staff
• Acted as Recorder for eight on-station committees, duties included room scheduling, agenda preparation, minutes preparation, and minutes distribution
• Processed all patient Requests for Provider Change
• Ordered and maintained sufficient supplies within three offices
• Maintained files for the PE's office, AA/PE office, and secretary’s office
• Maintained station binders in the Secretary’s office for MSDS, Infection Control, Emergency Preparedness Plan, and Fire Protection Manual
• Typed, distributed for comments and signature, modified, and/or amended all Physician Executive Policy Memoranda, according to direction given by the PE or the Administrative Assistant to the PE. Distributed policies station-wide
• Maintained calendar for the Physician Executive’s office
Legal Secretary/Paralegal, Full time 1997 Mar – 2000 Aug
Martin & Seibert, LLC
• Typed dictated letters, memoranda, and legal documents from transcription machine
• Answered multi-line phone and direct callers to proper individual within 60-person firm
• Maintained working legal files and billing files for clients
• Input billing information and timekeeping data into billing system
• Maintained billing files for 300 clients by inputting data, sending bills, and receiving payments
Paralegal – Defense Litigation
• Prepared various legal documents for Court filing
• Scheduled depositions including booking room reservations, travel, and court reporters
• Prepared deposition summaries – review and consolidate depositions for easier reading
• Researched case law utilizing law library and research databases
• Researched Circuit and Magistrate Court files
• Issued and served subpoenas
• Interviewed litigants and assisted with trial preparation
• Typed correspondence and other documents from dictation machine
Administrative Assistant and Assistant to the Sales Director FT 1993 Aug – 1997 Mar
Marriott Food Services Division
• Updated and maintained database for 400-550 potential clients
• Travel arrangements for supervisors, clients, and managers to include air, hotel, and car rental
• Prepared mass mailings to prospective clients
• Used spreadsheet software to prepare various cost reports for 6 units
• Input time and unit cost reporting data
• Maintained data and prepared reports for weekly meetings with Vice President
• Assisted with assembling bid proposals for the food service contracts at large Universities
• Prepared documents for faxing, copying, and mailing
Outstanding Senior Nominee – Mansfield University English and Modern Languages Dept, 2013
President’s List – Mansfield University, 3 Semesters
Dean’s List – Mansfield University, 5 Semesters
Travel Student of the Year – Fleet Business School
Dean’s List Four Quarters – Fleet Business School
Perfect Attendance – Fleet Business School
Good Conduct Medal – United States Marine Corps
Meritorious Promotion – United States Marine Corps
Meritorious Mast – United States Marine Corps
National Honor Society – Hammondsport Central School
MILITARY: United States Marine Corps, July 1985 to July 1989
Spring of 2010 – Awarded Bernie Koloski Book Award for Achievement in American Literature
Spring of 2010 – Awarded the Mansfield University Award for a Research Paper for an essay about women in Shakespeare
Spring of 2010 – Nominated for the North Hall Prize for a Research Essay over 10 pages for an essay on the environmental and sociological impact of windmills on a community.
Spring of 2011 – Awarded the Best English Essay for my essay about the relationship of fathers and daughters Shakespeare's plays
Spring of 2012 – Nominated for the North Hall Prize for two research papers in both History and British Literature
Spring of 2012 – Named Mansfield University English Department's Student of the Year
Spring 2012 – Received Mansfield University’s Ann Mabe Award in Women's Studies
Spring 2012 – Awarded Mansfield University’s Frederick Douglass Institute's Diversity Award
“The Enlarged Mind” – Susquehanna University’s Undergraduate Literature & Creative Writing Conference, Literature, Education, and the Creative Mind, February 15, 2010
“Reaching Students Through Technology” – Susquehanna University’s Undergraduate Literature & Creative Writing Conference, Literature and Creativity in a Digital Age, February 21, 2011
“A Closer Look at Fathers and Daughters in Shakespeare’s Hamlet, King Lear, and Much Ado About Nothing” – Shepherdstown University’s Sigma Tau Delta Conference, October 8, 2011.
“Love, Life, and Grief – A collection of Poetry” – Sigma Tau Delta International Convention, Reawaken, February 29 – March 3, 2012
“Teachers and Students in Jane Austen’s Emma and Persuasion” – Sigma Tau Delta International Convention, Reawaken, February 29 – March 3, 2012
“The Ladies Have It: The Significance of Names in The Last Hotel for Women” – EAPSU English Conference, October 11, 2012
“The Ladies Have It: The Significance of Names in The Last Hotel for Women” – Shepherdstown University’s Sigma Tau Delta Conference, October 12, 2012
“Scratch It On the Floorboards: Finding (and Losing) the Female Voice in 'The Yellow Wallpaper' & 'Seventeen Syllables’” – Susquehanna University’s Undergraduate Literature & Creative Writing Conference, Freedom of Thought, February 18, 2013
“Writing to Escape: Women Discovering Their Voices”, Sigma Tau Delta International Convention, Open Book, March 20-23, 2013
Spring 2013 – Mansfield University English and Modern Languages Outstanding Senior Nominee
Fall 2012 – Chosen Mansfield University’s Online Student Spotlight for the fall semester of 2012
Fall 2012 – Participated as a First Year Seminar and Peer Leader for MU Freshmen, assisted with the creation of a Peer Leader Handbook that was created to assist with the retention of incoming students
September 2012 – Feature-length article published in Mountain Home Magazine, Wellsboro, PA.
July 2012 – Poems published in the online e-zine, Barefoot Review.
Spring and Fall 2012 – Assisted with Freshman Orientation events and tours.
February 2012 – Attended the Sigma Tau Delta International English Honors Society Conference in New Orleans where I was recognized for my short essay on the conference theme.
Fall 2011 to Spring 2013 – Helped to plan events for students such as Open Mic nights and local trips to poetry readings at Bucknell University with the Poetry Club.
November 2011 and September 2012 – Attended the PASHE Women's Consortium and was part of a panel discussion at the September 2012 event, with students and professors, where we discussed dealing with hostilities expressed towards women in the classroom.
October 2011 – Attended the "Anita Hill - 20 Years Later" event at Hunter College, NYC, and wrote about that experience for Mansfield's Highlighting Women's Issues magazine.
Spring 2010 through Fall 2012 – Participated for three years in the MU presentation of The ****** Monologues and have attended a small workshop (with 50 invitees) with the Monologues' creator, Eve Ensler, in NYC.
Spring 2010 through Spring 2013 – Active member in the President's Commission on the Status of Women as well as a member of SAFE, a member of the Gay/Straight/Lesbian Organization (GLO), a member of Students for Peace, and the Treasurer of the Mansfield University Poetry Club.
Spring and Fall 2011 – Helped plan and execute two trips to Ithaca College for Sigma Tau Delta chapter members to attend student performances at the college's theater.
Spring 2012 – Spring 2013 – President of Sigma Tau Delta, Mu Xi Chapter – Under my leadership, our chapter had a record-breaking book drive, more than quadrupling the amount of money brought in to the treasury during our annual book drive. Our chapter is also attained fourth place on the Better World Books Website for number of books collected for 2012, which is a phenomenal feat considering our membership is very small.
Fall 2011 – Vice President of Mansfield University's Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, Mu Xi Chapter
Participated in the Domestic Violence Awareness events on campus helping to raise community and student awareness.
Write for BKNation.org, (the “BK” stands for building knowledge) a movement of people from all backgrounds, combining grassroots activism, pop culture, technology, and social media to spark projects and campaigns led by the people, for the people.
Write a blog called "Re-imagine the Joy" which is about my life as a non-traditional college student, working mother of a homeschooling teen, and a feminist.
Assisted with the editing of an online organization's website (To The Stars) which is dedicated to encouraging children to be comfortable with who they are and especially with encouraging young women and girls to become involved in science, technologies, engineering, and math.