Zena M. Gray
2141 Crotona Avenue, Bronx, NY 10457
Email: email@example.com Phone: (646) 406-8138
Objective: To acquire a job as a writer/reporter or editor at a newspaper or magazine.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Outstanding news writing and editorial skills.
• Superior live reporting skills.
• Exceptional ability to analyze and interpret information.
• Well-built ideals of journalistic excellence.
• Ability to coordinate, interacts, and get along with co-workers and public contacts.
• Ability to work under constant deadline pressure.
New York Trend NYC, Long Island, NY Managing Editor, June 2007-May 2011
Edited all news copy and evaluated by-line columns and editorials and news articles for publication. Coordinated stories for weekly news plan and assigned stories to staff reporters and interns. Assisted graphic design artist with planning layout of copy according to allocated news space within set deadline. Sought out and secured advertising for the publication. Wrote articles and editorials. Office assistance: checked email, answered telephones, mailed packages.
SUNY at Morrisville, Morrisville, NY SID Assistant, August 2005-May 2006
Assisted the University’s Sports Information Director with developing and administering the flow of sports news related to assigned sports programs, representing the University to the media. Prepared press releases and reported statistical and other report requirements for the NCAA. Assisted in the preparation of official game programs. Scheduled and coordinated student athlete and coaches’ interviews.
Lakeside Family Services, Jamaica, NY Receptionist, July 2003- August 2005
Received phone calls, determined the nature of the calls and directed callers to the appropriate department via switchboard. Successfully arranged appointments between clients and employees. Responsible for typing memos, reports and other correspondence.
• Tomboyz Quarterly Magazine
• The Daily Star-Oneonta
• The Chimes
• The VUU Informer
• Newyorktrendonline.com – Publisher, editorial director, columnist.
• State University of New York College at Old Westbury
o Bachelors of Arts-Media and Communications- (In Progress/ 2 credits shy)
• State University of New York College at Morrisville
o Associate Degree in Journalism Technology-May 2006
• High School of Fashion Industries, New York, NY
o Diploma-Fashion Merchandising-September 1997-June 2001
• NCAA Basketball Player
• Regular participant in charity walks and runs: March of Dimes, Breast Cancer / AIDS Walks
• CPR and First Aid Certified
References and writing samples furnished upon request. Salary requirements very negotiable.