311 Linda Way, Apt 10 ? El Cajon, CA 92020 ? (619)322-2164 C (619) 663-1677 H
Seeking a teaching position in Modern Standard Arabic/ Iraqi Arabic, or an Arabic cultural instructor or translation position in a corporation or agency that offers growth and advancement.
• B.A. in English and Translation (English & Arabic) 1980 - University of Mosul, Iraq
• Certificate for extensive course in English Literature and Grammar, 1978 - Barry College of Further Education, Wales, England
Jan 2012-Preset Substitute Teacher, SD University of Integrated Studies, San Diego, CA
• Teach English for non-native speakers (beginners & intermediate)
• Correct students’ language mistakes in speaking and reading
July 2013-Jan 2014 Copy Editor – Language, Knowledge City, Carlsbad, CA
• Work on translation of audio and video files from English to Arabic using Subtitle Horse
• Review and comment on courses as follows:
? Listen to content, proofread material, correct errors in grammar, punctuation, spelling, terminology and jargon, timelines, and usage and style
? Improve the formatting, style, and accuracy of text if needed
Oct 2010-Dec 2011 Arabic Teacher, Language Door, San Diego, CA
• Teach Arabic to adult beginners to improve their basic skills in speaking, reading, and writing
Feb. 2008– May 2010, Substitute Teacher, Substitute Teachers Unlimited, AZ
• Accepted fill-in assignments for teachers at any grade level or student level needs
• Instructed according to the teacher’s lesson plans for the daily assignments
Jan. 2007-April 2007, ESL Teacher-Rio Salad College, Phoenix, AZ
• Taught English to adult beginners to improve their basic skills in speaking and reading
• Evaluated ESL learners in oral reading and speaking skills.
• Corrected ESL students’ grammar, pronunciation, spelling, and homework mistakes
Aug. 1996 –June 2005, Arabic Teacher-Defense Language Institute, Monterey, CA
• For nine years, taught Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) and Iraqi dialect (speaking, listening, reading, and writing) from basic courses through advanced levels.
• Used various teaching methods and provided verbal feedback to students regarding their performance in a course.
• Develop lesson plans for the course and exchange supplemental course materials with other faculty members
• Provide instruction in English and Arabic language using foreign language curriculum in the classroom.
• Engaged students in task based on the activities in the classroom by using proficiency oriented activities.
• Introduced effective teaching techniques to help students improve their speaking, reading, and listening skills, and provided individualized learning activities.
• Taught contextual strategies by using structure and lexicon, in addition to grammar to assist students with immersion into the culture of the region. Taught military personnel Arabic online.
• Helped students improve their speaking skills during the Language Training Exercise (LTX) at former Ft. Ord base by playing a role play.
• Prepared, administered, and corrected tests in addition to weekly quizzes and identified student language deficiencies.
• Conducted monthly counseling sessions after the unit exam immediately and provided written feedback regarding students’ performance.
• Assisted team members on how to utilize the Multi-Media lab and Smart Board and provided troubleshooting expertise for technical problems on teacher’s computers.
• Assessed student performance and adapt curriculum to meet student needs.
• Taught the culture, family values, ethnic characteristics, beliefs and customs in Arab society.
LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS
• Multi-lingual: English, Arabic, Aramaic, and Kurdish with competence in Iraqi Dialect.
• Able to work well with people of all socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to adapt quickly to challenges and changing environments.
• Technical problem-solving abilities for IBM Compatible Computers
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Corel WordPerfect, PowerPoint, and Internet
• Recognition Award for teaching excellence from Defense Language Institute 2003
• Certificate of Appreciation for participation in Language Day - 2002
• Certificate of Appreciation for Urban Warrior Advanced War Fighting Experiment- 1999
• Certificate of Appreciation for Worldwide Language Olympics- 1998
• Spalding workshop, 2007
• Non-Tester Familiarization Workshop, DLI - 2002.
• Speaking Proficiency Test Familiarization Training, DLI - 1998.
• Instructor Certification Course (ICC), DLI – 1996