Jessica S. Council
9185 Springhill Lane, Greenbelt, MD 20770
Languages: Japanese and English
Computer Programs: Microsoft Word (2003, 2007, 2010), Excel (2003, 2007, 2010), PowerPoint (2003, 2007, 2010), Outlook (2003, 2007, 2010), Access (2003, 2007, 2010) and Quickbooks. Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Reader XI, Image Ready, Gimp, Quickbooks, Wordpress, and MailChamp.
University of North Carolina Wilmington May 2010
BA Creative Writing – Fiction
Mie University Japan February 2009
Japanese Language and Culture Certificate
AAAS Science 10/2013-Current
Proofreader and Editorial Assistant
• Proofreading/Editing for online Signaling, Online Science Transitional Medicine (STM), and Paper Galleys for print issues.
• Work with Copy Editors and the Production Department to correct errors and clear up queries.
• Work with designers to perfect image, figure, and article design.
Freelance Writing 1/2012-Current
• Article writing/Web Content Writing
• Translation from Japanese to English/English to Japanese
• Book reviewing
• Guest blogging
• Novel writing
• Virtual Tour Hosting
Stout & Teague Management Corp Washington D.C. 10/2012-9/2013
Tenant Services Coordinator
• Chosen to manage building operations, conference rooms, and meetings for outside companies.
• Revised and rewritten the new payment and office policy
• In charge of enforcing the terms and conditions of company policy increasing company productivity by 75%
• Hand selected by management to collect payments, negotiate rental contracts, and write/send proposals to tenants.
• Manages the Micro-Main Work Ticket system for seven buildings.
• Delegate building maintenance work per online request for seven buildings.
• Order office supplies and other building needs.
• Issue monthly parking permits and invoices to the tenants and staff.
• Communicate with tenants and solve suite/building issues.
• Assist with employee payroll system.
• Work closely with accounting and HR services to ensure bills and employee payments are accurate and completed properly.
• Provide weekly Maintenance reports and billing statements to Executive staff with zero errors.
• Excellent walk-in customer service/switchboard phone communications.
• Work with a team and independently to prioritize and meet deadlines.
Conversation Night school Japan 4/2011-8/2012
• Taught English at three different Japanese Schools with over 500 students utilizing Japanese to teach English grammar and vocabulary.
• Utilize a good understanding of Japanese culture
• Help prepare students for Eiken English exam with an 83% passing rate.
• Attend meetings held in both Japanese and English
• Worked independently by creating a student syllabus for all students to following and understand clearly.
Issuer Direct Morrisville, NC 8/2010-3/2011
• Prioritize and schedule various meetings and appointments.
• Handle all correspondence (emails, voice mails, letters, etc.).
• Maintain company records (hard copies and electronic documents).
• Performed special projects for directors and supervisors.
• Drafted spreadsheets and other documents.
• Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Year Long Exchange to Japan 3/2009-3/2010
• Studied Japanese culture and language for one year.
• Tutored English to 60 Japanese students of all ages.
UNCW Foreign Language Resource Center Wilmington, NC 1/2007-3/2009
• Created instructional data for future use
• Replicated media
• Managed and recorded facilities usage
• Troubleshot and fixed minor computer problems
• Altered photos and designed documents
• Operated the switchboard, relayed messages
• Trained new employees.
UNCW Campus Life Wilmington, NC 8/2006-3/2009
• Filing, data entry, distributing mail
• Answered multi-line telephone, screened calls
• Scheduled and reserved spaces for meetings and events
• Greeted, assisted, and directed customers.
• Performed special projects for directors and supervisors
• Managed the office in the absence of the Directors and supervisors
• Recorded and typed minutes and notes from meetings
• Entered, filed, and maintained the student payroll spreadsheets every month
• Interviewed and trained new recruits