Accomplishment & Qualification
MLS degree; Fifteen plus years of experience of cataloging and library services; including five plus years of public library experience, two years of University libraries experience, and ten years of Elementary and Middle School libraries experience.
• Interim Children’s Service Director Duties Took on part of interim director duties, including collection development of language materials; coordinating multicultural storytime with community groups; acting as University liaison; coordinating volunteers; etc. (July to December, 2010)
• Collection Development In charge of Dewey 400s Language materials development, including English, Chinese and other language materials. (July 2010 to present)
• Outreach Activities Performing outreach activities for the Urbana Free Library, such as participating in the 2010 Youth Literature Festival, booktalks at the Chinese Heritage School, representing the Urbana Free Library at the University open house, joining Annual Asian American and Pacific Islander Month Celebration event, etc. (2008 to present)
• Children/Family Programming and Special Projects Successfully creating and/or coordinating numerous children and family programs, such as Free Art Lessons for Kids, Annual Chinese New Year Celebration, Korean Culture Day, Multi-Cultural Bilingual Storytime, etc. Many programs have been highly appraised in the local media over the years. Overseeing the Chess Club activities, including supervising volunteers, recruiting, and regular email communications with chess players. (2005 to present)
• Cataloging Over 10 years of children’s materials, a year of musical material in all formats, and a year of geology serial cataloging experience, including original and copy cataloging all formats and subjects of materials. (2000 to present)
• Blog CCRA-Chinese Children Read in America. A blog in simplified Chinese to serve local Chinese children and families, where I write weekly posts to recommend reading materials for children through pre-teens. (May 2011 to present)
2008 Master of Science. Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, IL.
1984 Master of Science. Mathematical System/Computer Science Concentration. University of Illinois, Springfield, IL.
1978 Bachelor of Art. Major in Philosophy; Minor in Education. National Zhengzhi University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China.
2006 to present Cataloger/Librarian, Children’s Services, The Urbana Free Library, Urbana, IL. (Cataloging, programming, collection development, outreach, library tour, creating booklists, book displays, reference, publicity, supervision of volunteers.)
2007 to 2008 Visiting Academic Professional Music Cataloger, Music Library, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, IL. (Copy and original cataloging of Robert E. Brown collections, including all formats of music materials, finished the project before the two years contract term.)
2006 to 2007 Graduate Assistant, Geology Library, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, IL. (Serial cataloging, circulation, reference, projects as appointed.)
2005 to 2006 Library Practicum, Children’s Services, The Urbana Free Library, Urbana, IL. (Programming, reference, outreach, special projects.)
2004 to 2005 Computer Lab Instructor, Robeson Elementary School, Champaign, IL. (Teaching and assisting computer lab activities, supervising America Read/America Count coordinators.)
2002 to 2004 Library Teaching Assistant, Urbana Middle School, Urbana, IL. (Cataloging, circulation, reference)
1994 to 2002 Library Teaching Assistant, Yankee Ridge Elementary School, Urbana, IL. (Starting up the Automation system, cataloging, circulation, reference.)
1985 to 1986 Computer Science Instructor, Springfield College, Springfield, IL. (Teaching computer programming courses.)