Theresa Angela Artist Statement
The gift of creating a story on a canvas is amazing. The world of visual art is a form of self-expression that gives confidence. The act of painting and drawing is a delicious obsession for me. Often, I wonder if my studies of graphic design influenced my style of painting. The perception of movement has its own conversation. Undoubtedly, it is understood my talent is a benefit worth exploring.
I was born in Harlem, New York. My father and grandfather were artists. Earl Drayton, my father was the neighborhoods’ local artist. While painting murals around Harlem my father would always say he is misunderstood. Clarence (Bad Boy) Palmer, my grandfather played the base, sang and performed with great Jazz musicians such as; Count Base, Duke Ellington and Cab Callaway. Clarence was well known in Harlem performing at the Cotton Club in the 1930s with Cab Colloway. I learned how to draw from my father at the young age of three. My grandfather taught me how to appreciate music mainly Jazz which is shown by the rhythm and movement in each of my artwork.
I am continuing my family legacy by obtain spiritual gratification by creating art pieces that are impelling with a sense of ethnic erythematic movement. The use of mix medium along with acrylic, charcoal and pencils besides my family culture merely classifies me as a folk artist but an abstract expressionist.
• 2013 Illustration of a Children Book called “Summer In Philly” by Cynthia Brown (in publication)
• 2012 – 2013 Black History Art Exhibit, Mispillion Art February Black History Month
• 2012 Art Exhibit Abbott House, Irvington, NY (July August not confirm)
• 2011 Art Festival’s in Eastern, Maryland, Whiteville, NC and Washington, DC
• 2011 Mispillion Art League (MAL) Exhibit November to January Christmas Exhibit
• 2011 Bonet & Friend June Exhibit
• 2011 Starving Artist Studio Exhibit in City Island, Bronx, NY
• 2012 Striver Art Circuit Exhibit in Harlem
• Member of the Mispillion Art League, Milford, Delaware
• Member of the Harlem Art Alliance, Harlem, New York
• New York City Foundation of the Arts, New York
• Member of the Inner City Cultural League, Dover Delaware
Teach Art to Children and /Art Specialist
• 2003 Police Auxiliary League Art Specialist
• 2007 Student for Arts and Learning – Substitute Teacher
• 2009-2011 Mispillion Art League Art Instructor for children
• 2009 – 2010 Harrington Senior Center Art Instructor for seniors/create and administrate
• 2011 – 2012 Baychester Visual Arts Association, Inc.
• 2012 Abbott House- create and teach art program
• 2012 - 2013 Boys & Girls Club teaching teenagers how to create storyboards thru multimedia tech comic while learning the technic of fine art
• 2012 Workshops/Adults Baychester Visual Arts Association, Inc.
• 2013 Inner City Cultural League, Dover, Delaware
• 2009 – 2011 Inner City Cultural League
• 2010 -2011 Harrington Senior Center
• 2011 Art and Business NYC
• 2011 -2012 CityArt, NYC