Biotechnology R&D • Molecular Diagnostics • Product Applications • Technical Writing
Highly motivated and experienced scientist with broad knowledge base and skill set. A well organized team player with ability to conceive, plan and execute a wide variety of projects in research, development, and product applications. A technical/scientific writer and reviewer with demonstrated proficiency in drafting grant proposals and manuscripts for publication, in preparing posters and slides for presentations, and in writing product specific application notes and technical documents for the end users.
• Subject Areas: Molecular Biology, Genetics, Infectious Diseases, Statistics, Immunology
• R&D: Molecular Diagnostic Assays, Novel Detection Technologies, Product Applications
• Scientific Writing: Manuscripts, Grant Proposals, Study Reports, Application Notes
• Technical Customer Service: Product Applications, Presentations, Demonstrations
LUMIGEN/BECKMAN COULTER/DANAHER CORPORATION – Southfield, Michigan
Staff Research/Application/Development Scientist (1997-2013)
Spearheaded the molecular biology research to design and develop novel molecular detection probes and technologies. Published and presented R&D findings as posters and papers in peer reviewed journals and in conference proceedings. Developed new assays and applications for Lumigen products and drafted product application documents. Provided technical service to customers for Lumigen products.
• Developed novel DNA ligation based amplification and detection technologies for genetic (Cystic fibrosis, Factor V genes) and infectious diseases (HIV, Chlamydia, Listeria). Played a key role in the development of a patented ligation technology for DNA amplification detection of genetic mutations.
• Developed heterogeneous and homogeneous (wash and no wash) high throughput detection assay formats for proteins and nucleic acids using Lumigen’s chemiluminescent reagents.
• Formulated methods for high throughput nucleic acid sample preparation from blood, plasma, bacteria, fungi, and viruses using Lumigen magnetic beads.
• Developed nucleic acid and protein blotting and array applications for chemiluminescent detection.
Statistical Analysis and Presentation
• Organized and analyzed data using JMP, presented in graphical and tabular formats, and interpreted the study results
• Drafted technical study reviews, manuscripts for publication, research grant proposals, experimental protocols.
Worked on the following federally funded research grant proposals at Lumigen (SBIR grants from NIH):
1995 - Ultrasensitive Chemiluminescent Enzyme-Linked Assays
1997 – Novel Chemiluminescent Detection of Gene Rearrangements
1998 – Multiplex Chemiluminescent DNA Sequencing
2002 – Chemiluminescent Labeling and Detection in Gels
2003-2004 – Molecular Diagnostic Assays for Genetic Disease
2005-2007 – Materials for Isolation of Nucleic acids from Whole Blood without Lysis Step
• Assisted in writing the following patent applications
5,843,666 - Chemiluminescent detection methods using enzyme-labeled binding partners.
Issued December 1, 1998
WO06/019387 - Methods of using cleavable solid phases for isolating nucleic acids
Published February 26, 2006
• Drafted product application notes and product handling instructions for Lumigen/Beckman Coulter products for marketing/sales and website
Product Applications and Technical Customer Service
• Performed product application presentations and demonstrations for Lumigen products at conferences
• Provided technical support to customers on in vitro molecular and clinical diagnostic assay development
WILLIAM BEAUMONT HOSPITAL - Royal Oak, Michigan
Senior Research Associate (1995 – 1997)
• Developed DNA probes and assays for chemiluminescent detection of CFTR mutation delta F508.
• Consultant to Lumigen, Southfield, Michigan
NOVOPHARM BIOTECH. - Winnipeg, Canada
Senior Scientist/Manager (1994 – 1995)
• Managed the molecular biology section of Novopharm Biotech consisting of six Ph.D. level senior and junior scientists.
• Trained the scientists in molecular biology applications for recombinant antibody production.
• Cloned and expressed recombinant antibodies targeted against glioma antigens.
WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY- Detroit, Michigan
Research Assistant Professor, Center for Molecular Biology (1988 - 1993)
• Studied opportunistic pathogens in immunocompromised hosts.
• Developed a mouse model for Pneumocystis carinii.
• Developed two PCR based detection assays, one for P. carinii and another for opportunistic pathogen, Aspergillus fumigatus.
• Studied pulmonary infections of P. carinii along with the associated cytokine regulation in these infections.
• Collaborated to identify and characterize immunogenic recombinant fusion proteins in A.
• Trained students, post-docs, medical residents, fellows, and technicians in the application of molecular techniques to study infectious disease pathogens.
UNIVERSITY OF IOWA - Iowa City, Iowa
Post-doctoral Fellow and Research Investigator, Biochemistry Department (1984 – 1988)
• Studied the molecular biology of antigenic variation in African trypanosomes.
• Cloned and sequenced genes coding for variable surface glycoproteins that are expressed both in the salivary gland of the tsetse fly vector and in the mammalian blood stream following the tsetse fly bite.
• Involved in molecular karyotyping of trypanosome chromosomes using pulsed field gradient electrophoresis.
CERTIFICATION, TRAINING AND SOFTWARE SKILLS
2014 – Essential Skills Certificate of the American Medical Writer’s Association (AMWA)
2012 – Problem Solving Process Certification (Danaher Corporation)
2010 – JMP Statistical Analysis Training (Beckman Coulter)
2004 - Bioinformatics - Canadian Genetic Disease Network
1997 - Technical Consultant - American Board of Bioanaysis
1994 - Advanced Supervisory Management - Novopharm Biotech.
Software Skills: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, JMP
EDUCATION, FELLOWSHIPS AND HONORS
PhD., Plant Cytogenetics and Breeding, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
Dissertation: Genetics of transposable elements in maize
M.S., Crop Science, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon
Thesis: Seed dormancy and alpha-amylase content in wheat cultivars
M.Sc., Plant Breeding/Statistics, G.B. Pant University, Pantnagar, India
Thesis: Combining ability of some quantitative traits in Triticale
B.Sc., Agricultural Sciences, A.P. Agricultural University, Hyderabad, India
UNESCO fellowship at the Biological Research Centre, Szeged, Hungary
Indian Council of Agricultural Research fellowship at G.B. Pant University, Pantnagar, India
Sigma XI – University of Iowa
Gamma Sigma Delta – Iowa State University