CARLTON P. CHIN
(858) 205-5742 / firstname.lastname@example.org / www.coroflot.com/chindesign
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Experience in graphic design (print) and art direction. Skilled in developing solid client and outside vendor relations. Excellent listening and communication skills. A problem solver, with the flexibility and passion about providing the best possible solution to a client’s design needs. Creative, while keeping design functional and within budget. Exceptional attention to detail and capable of meeting deadlines. Efficiently manage and effectively motivate design and production staff. Experience includes the following:
- Customized Cover Design for Textbooks
- Brochures, Newsletters and Magazines
- Recruitment and Print Advertising
- Employee Referral Programs
- Project Management
- Direct Mail
- Logo Design
- Photo Retouching
- Web Banners
- Posters and Postcards
- Outdoor Signage (mobile and stationary)
- CD Cover Design
- PowerPoint Presentations
- T-Shirt Design
Various Contract/Freelance Graphic Designer Assignments/ January 2012 to Present
Harvard University/Harvard Kennedy School – Contract Part-Time Administrative Assistant Technical
- Using Kaltura CMS system, relinked over 400 videos to the department's video library Web site. Ensured that each video is functional and matched the content on their respective web pages.
Harvard University/Harvard Public Affairs & Communications – Contract Part-Time Communications Coordinator
- Designed and updated marketing materials. Revised status reports and created and wrote copy as needed for outgoing html e-mails using Silverpop. Placed listings to advertise events with various online calendars. Responsible for making updates to the department’s website.
Sulam of Brookline – Freelance Graphic Designer
- Logo development and currently working on redesigning the organization’s Web site.
Temple Ohabei Shalom – Freelance Graphic Designer
- Developed and created a new logo for the Temple’s Ansin Religious School program. Initiated development of graphic identity guidelines for newly created logo as well for existing ones.
Pearson – Contract Senior Graphic Designer
- Designed and created a print prototype of the CMP3 Teacher Guide from the online version using nested styles and specs from the printed student edition. Additionally, involved with the creation of a style guide based on the prototype to help assist with the full development of the teacher guide.
PreApps – Freelance Graphic Designer
- Develop and design comps for a promotional giveaway card to help market the company name and its services. The piece is intended to serve as a business card with an attached cleaning cloth meant to be used to clean smartphone screens.
Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc. – Contract Graphic Designer
- Provided graphic design and production services. Projects included brochures, booth banners, color corrected images, wrappers for energy bar giveaways and creating and updating various PowerPoint slide decks.
Knight Science Journalism / Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Contract Graphic Designer
- Created and updated materials for use at seminars. This included creating name badges, data sheets and other inserts for pocket folders and color corrected images. I also was responsible for organizing and assembling the folders for the attendees. Additionally, I provided well-received and various brochure comps that would eventually combine and replace current brochures being used.
Committee on Race and Diversity/ Massachusetts Institute of Technology -Freelance Graphic Designer
- Created display signage to advertise the goals and purpose of the committee and yearly grant offered.
Cambridge Systematics – Contract Graphic Designer
- Designed and updated graphics for existing PowerPoint slide decks.
TechTarget – Freelance Graphic Designer
- Created and updated e-publication/PDF. This included importing content, setting up pagination, proofing and generating internal and external hyperlinks.
Web/Graphic Designer - Pearson, Boston, MA / June 2009-January 2012
- Worked independently, conceptualized and designed customized covers for Field and Development Editors per requests submitted by teachers and professors from high schools and universities. In addition to covers, designed companion title pages and CDs based on projects needs.
- Was responsible for production of designed covers, which included proofing, troubleshooting and preparing hi-res PDFs for outside print vendors.
- Was entrusted with the design of several cover projects that had a six figure budget. Normally, these covers were assigned only to designers with higher seniority within the company.
- Provided web versions of various covers as requested by in-house Development Editors.
- Researched and identified potential stock image options from outside sources to supplement our in-house library. The challenge was to find quality images that were in public domain or in some authorized exceptions, at low cost.
- Provided Manufacturing with re-sized cover files per their requests, based on trim and spine modifications made by in-house Project Managers and outside print vendors.
- Proofed and reinforced company branding based on established guidelines.
- Assisted other designers and senior designers with work overflow as needed.
- Provided design advice and technical support for other designers.
Graphic Designer - San Diego State University, San Diego, CA / February 2005-June 2008
- Provided art direction and graphic design services for over 16 departments under the Division of Student Affairs.
- Designed brochures, rave cards, direct mail pieces, posters/flyers, indoor and outdoor signage (banners), student recruitment materials, web banners, embedded html e-mails.
- Reinforced university logo identity guidelines and offered design recommendations for projects being developed by the different departments under Student Affairs.
- Requested quotes from on- and off-campus vendors and selected those that provided the most cost-effective quotes based on state spending guidelines.
- Created content and/or modified print materials for Web use based on Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act to ensure that materials met accessibility guidelines.
- Mentored and supervised a senior graphic design student intern each semester. Guided them through the graphic design process from concept to actual printed pieces. Interns gained “real world” experience and pieces for their portfolio.
- Initiated and maintained digital asset management system using Adobe Bridge to catalogue the office’s digital library.
- Troubleshooted office’s hardware and software issues.
Senior Art Director - Bernard Hodes Group, La Jolla, CA and Cambridge, MA / March 1993-May 2001
- Met with clients to assess their needs and to make recommendations based on their present and future goals in order to formulate an effective recruitment campaign.
- Created and designed recruitment ads from concept to completion for newspapers and periodicals.
- Designed Employee Referral Programs, brochures, posters, airport dioramas, cinema slides, billboards, trade show booths, web pages and banners for use by human resources departments of client companies.
- Provided quotes to various clients from printers, outdoor media, stock photography agencies and promotional companies. In addition, negotiated the price and rights of purchased images.
- Assisted the Creative Director in managing in-house production staff, and addressed account service needs.
- Worked with commercial printers and selected appropriate paper stock based on the type of project.
- Reviewed and gave final approval on blue lines and match prints to be released to the printer.
- Provided clients with consultation and creative ideas for digital imaging, scanning and retouching, utilizing imaging and layout software.
- Recreated black and white and color artwork from rough concepts provided by the client.
- Was responsible for managing and executing creative projects for new business prospects.
- Researched new methods of presenting creative ideas to maintain freshness and competitiveness.
- Troubleshooted production issues relating to printing, prepping projects for outside vendors and creating electronic files for clients.
- Supervised and guided the network consultant in the management of the office’s computer network.
- Maintained operation of the office’s Ethernet network and its peripherals.
- Provided the New England Human Resources Association with the creation and monthly update of its human resource newsletter.
- Researched and recommended the purchases of Macintosh-based equipment.
Freelance Graphic Designer - Art Director / Spirit of Change, Uxbridge, MA / March 1997-Present
- Provide art direction, graphic design and production for the quarterly magazine and its constituent publications.
- Design 4-color process, spot color and black and white ads for Spirit of Change (for self promotion) and its advertising clients. Sizes range from full-page ads to small size ads.
- Troubleshoot and address compliancy and production issues to ensure that the final digital files submitted to the commercial printer are in working order.
- Create and implement a new ad submission system and production guidelines.
- Supply spot copy writing and text proofing for articles and ads as needed.
- Assist the advertising director with marketing projects, including direct mail campaigns and ads for placement in various periodicals.
- Perform extensive research, negotiate and purchase images from various stock agencies and illustrators to be used for various facets of the magazine.
- Prepare the final PDF file(s) of the entire magazine to be sent to the client’s printer for output. In addition, communicate with a commercial printer to ensure production is flowing and on schedule.
- Assess and advise the publisher of software and hardware needs for the magazine.
- Formerly managed and updated the Web site based on the content in printed issues of Spirit of Change using Dreamweaver.
Designer/Publishing Specialist - Bitstream, Inc., Cambridge, MA / March 1990-March 1993
- Designed marketing and collateral pieces including brochures, posters and type samples for use in the company’s packaging, print ads, trade show booths and P.O.P.s (point-of-purchase).
- Managed the production, design, copy writing and fitting and developed artwork for the technical manuals for use in the company’s product line.
- Supervised all photo shoots of the company’s products used in marketing pieces.
- Worked with printers and selected appropriate paper stock based on the type of design project.
- Reviewed blue lines and match prints for final approval prior to printing.
- Researched and purchased department’s first Macintosh-based color systems.
- Provided technical support involving Macintosh/PC operations and publishing solutions.
- Assisted in testing the company’s software in an actual graphic design applications.
- Provided input regarding functionality and cosmetic issues that needed to be addressed in the company’s flagship software — MakeUp™ and FaceLift®.
- Updated and maintained efficiency and operation of department’s software and peripherals.
- Maintained and ordered supplies for the art department.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Brandeis University - Waltham, Massachusetts
- Bachelors of Arts, 1987; Dean’s List (2); Deborah Josepha Cohen Memorial Award
- Massachusetts College of Art (continuing education)
- New England School of Art and Design (continuing education)
- Adobe Creative Suite Premium CS5.5: InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat X Pro, Illustrator, Dreamweaver (working knowledge), Premiere (working knowledge)
- QuarkXPress 9.2
- Microsoft Office 2011: Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word
- Apple Keynote
- Mac OS X (Mountain Lion) and Windows 7
- Parallels Desktop 8
- PitStop Pro 10
- EMC Documentum (CMS)
- CSS (working knowledge)
- HTML (working knowledge)
- Silverpop (on-line email marketing program)