Karen R. Pulkkinen
99 Hancock St Apt B1
Cambridge, MA 02139
Emerson College, Boston, MA May 2011
Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing with genre focus on fiction
• Completed teaching certification course, including planning English composition course outlines and assignments.
• Completed copyediting course using handwritten marks and track changes; learned to effectively utilize CMS and AP; created style sheets; carried out heavy copyedit of chapter from nonfiction book as final project; learned proofreading skills.
• Compiled a collection of short stories and short shorts for thesis project, worked with chair to revise and prepare thesis.
• Completed archival research literature course, collected primary research material on historical court case and utilized research to write a historical fiction piece.
• Participated in flash fiction and short story workshops, line editing other student’s work and discussing stories written and stories assigned.
Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA March 2005
Bachelor of Arts in English with Creative Writing emphasis
• Published poem in university’s literary journal “Jeopardy.”
• Performed public reading of published piece.
• Developed editing and proofreading skills through extensive workshops.
Ploughshares Literary Journal, Boston, MA June 2010-Present
• Read paper and on-line batches. Use evaluative judgment to pass on or reject manuscripts.
• Awarded reader who read the most slush during the 2010-2011 reading period.
• One of two readers selected to read for the emerging fiction writer’s contest; read slush consisting of 250 stories during six-week period; passed stories on directly to DeWitt Henry, founding editor of Ploughshares; included notes on strengths and weaknesses of passed-on stories.
Redivider Literary Journal, Boston, MA April 2010-Present
Full-time Fiction Reader
• Read on-line submissions and pass on or reject manuscripts.
• Evaluate passed on stories in preparation for discussion.
• Participate in drawer meetings to discuss and determine stories to be included in next issue.
Acanthus Publishing, Boston, MA August-December 2010
• Ghost wrote to fill in missing chapters of manuscripts.
• Light, medium, and heavy copy-editing of book manuscripts and articles.
• Reworked translated manuscripts from British English to American English.
• Assisted in research for a book project, verifying facts and dates.
• Carried out final proofing of manuscripts before printing.
• Requested print quotes and learned the publishing process.
• Completed tasks as self-starter and according to deadlines.
Mastheads.org, Online based in New York, NY September-October 2006
• Communicated through website and e-mail with internship coordinator.
• Edited mastheads of five assigned monthly magazines, ensuring website represented mastheads accurately.
• Compiled changes and submitted them by deadlines.
• Contacted editors of magazines in the process of networking for the website.
Stats Bar and Grill, Dorchester, MA September 2010-Present
• Use communication and organization skills to run a neighborhood bar.
Tavern in the Square, Cambridge, MA October 2007-July 2010
• Train new hires; use multi-tasking and customer service skills to maintain a clean, well-run bar and to provide a pleasurable experience.
Washington Mutual, Snohomish, WA September 2006-August 2007
Teller and Sales Associate
• Provided customer information over telephone, filed paperwork as needed, carried out basic teller duties was offered promotion to senior teller as a result of high product sales and outstanding customer service.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Power Point. Familiar with AP, CMS, copyediting marks, and track changes. Excellent research skills.