Veteran journalist and social media entrepreneur with master’s degree seeks to help print/online products prosper through problem-solving, team leadership and attention to details. Proven results managing newsrooms and building community-minded news service through social media networking. Fluently uses Apple and PC operating systems and troubleshoots production and IT issues. Fosters a motivational learning environment and loves photography.
This Is Brown County / TIBC Press, Nashville, IN, Oct. 2009 – Sept. 2013
• Co-founded online news website and social media presence that instigated an ongoing conversation with citizens. More than 8,400 people follow news about this 15,000-population community on Facebook. Became the most relied upon venue for news, causing the local newspaper’s circulation to drop by more than 25 percent. Advertisers continue to transfer their dollars to this vehicle.
• Designed website and added new features to enhance readers’ experience. Created a supplemental online yard sale with more than 1,200 participants.
• Launched a publishing arm. Managed business and executed all aspects of book production, including recruiting authors, editing manuscripts, paginating books, acquiring ISBNs, working with printers, marketing and promoting.
• Taught writing workshops to motivate novices to pursue their dream of writing, giving them the tools to believe in themselves. Spoke to specialty groups and listened to public concerns. Answered calls and scheduled appointments.
Brown County Democrat, Nashville, IN, May 2000 – Oct. 2009
• As editor, assigned, wrote and edited articles and paginated each issue. Planned all editorial content and seasonal calendars for weekly and special products. Implemented electronic pagination and educated staff. Photographed and edited photos. Started the newspaper’s online presence.
• Managed staff and freelancers and resolved conflict. Executed all hires, discipline and reviews. Worked closely with publisher to plan and implement annual goals and maintain financial budget. Fix and maintained computers. Served as the “face” of the newspaper in the community.
• Led newspaper to the Hoosier State Press Association’s top honor, Blue Ribbon. Annually received multiple awards for general excellence, feature, sports and news articles, design and photography.
• Became a lay expert in Open Door/Open Meeting laws, often challenging government entities and holding them accountable to the public.
The Republic, Columbus, IN, June 1996 – May 2000
• Managed all preproduction aspects of daily newspaper and commercial clients as the prepress supervisor. Trained, hired and disciplined staff. Created workflow and staff schedules. Wrote and conducted annual reviews.
• Ensured all daily pages passed preflight, paginated classifieds using cross-platform software, imaged pages to film and converted paper to film on large-scale bellows camera.
• Supervised dozens of commercial projects from leaving the clients’ hands to rolling off the press. Troubleshot software errors, formatting issues and all other client concerns. Served as final quality control before product shipped to client.
Kokomo Tribune, Kokomo, IN, Feb 1992 – Sept. 1994
• As Special Projects editor, controlled production aspects of two commercial magazines and other special projects, including writing, editing and researching all editorial material, choosing and assigning photography and coordinating with the advertisement and production departments.
• Researched and edited all local and wire content for inside feature pages.
• Initiated, instructed staff and facilitated newspaper’s transition into electronic pagination.
Richmond Register, Richmond, KY, May 1991 – Feb. 1992
• Wrote and edited all feature content as the Lifestyle editor, including social events, citizen profiles and television news. Researched and wrote larger articles on social concerns, such as homelessness, which resulted in award-winning package after overnight stay in a shelter.
Laurel News-Leader, London, KY, March 1990 – May 1991
• Covered beats, spot news and feature events as reporter-photographer. Initiated electronic pagination and completed manual paste-up of each week’s paper.
Full Sail University 2011 - 2012
Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing. Studied character development, plot, screenwriting and the business of writing. Completed a feature film screenplay and several shorts.
Union College 1986 - 1989
Bachelor of Science in English/Journalism. Served as editor of the school newspaper and photography editor of the yearbook. Received several statewide journalism awards.
Using multiple-platform computer systems; problem solving; collecting and analyzing data; writing; photography; liaising to facilitate cooperation between two entities; listening; multi-tasking; writing/adapting screenplays; designing websites; performing general office tasks; utilizing social marketing; generating ideas; designing and paginating products; performance reviews; decision-making; editing/proofing; working independently; public speaking; building platforms; using Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office and other software; interacting with young people; IT troubleshooting; learning quickly; understanding basic HTML; using WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Tumblr, Google+, Foursquare, and other website and social media sites.