654 Hickory Place, Lino Lakes MN 55014
Energetic, creative communications specialist, who has put my talents to work in a variety of settings, using print, broadcast and social media to drive a message, disseminate important information and enhance public understanding of issues. Through a variety of leadership, media and public relations activities at the University of Minnesota, Morris, I have honed my skills as a writer, broadcaster and spokesperson.
2010–present News Writer
University Relations, University of Minnesota, Morris
• Report and write about campus news events for print and online publications that served a variety of audiences
• Took photographs for all of my pieces and various other news stories
• Created office’s first ever video news productions; handled filming, directing, sound, lighting, editing, writing, and production of all projects.
• Wrote and edited content for four high-level campus web pages, conforming to U of M style.
May–November 2010 Communications Consultant
Bennett Smith for Minnesota House of Representatives District 11A
• Produced and wrote all campaign literature and newspaper ads.
• Served as lead campaign media contact.
• Advised candidate on speeches and public appearances.
• Developed campaign social media page and online strategies.
Summer 2010 Student Worker
Office of Admissions, University of Minnesota, Morris
• Directed more than 1,000 campus tours, for students, parents and other visitors to enhance school's image and understanding of its top-quality opportunities.
• Trained other campus tour guides to deliver same proactive message about the school.
• Wrote scripts and recorded narration for online and virtual campus tours.
Summer 2009 Intern
Congressional Relations Office, Library of Congress, Washington D.C.
• Covered Congressional hearings on wide-range of issues and reported findings to Congressional Relations Office.
• Created the first intern manual as instructional tool for future interns.
• Updated contact information of Congressional Offices for Library of Congress database.
• Managed all deliveries and requests to and from Congressional Offices.
Fall 2008–present Contributing writer
Morris campus newspaper, blogs, college projects
• Reported and wrote about everything from historical figures to athletics to campus governance.
• Provided voiceover for numerous recording and narration projects for offices across campus.
SPECIAL COMMUNICATIONS/MEDIA EXPERIENCE
• Served as Spokesman for University of Minnesota Morris on a live nation-wide radio broadcast to enhance school's image as a national leader in research and its unique use of renewable energy.
• Spoke for 60,000 U of MN Students before high-level officials and the media as chair of the Student Representatives to Board of Regents
• Serve as spokesperson on Campus web site.
• Presented research in Chicago on how new media (YouTube, blogs) affects media coverage of political events.
• Developed script and storyboard for exclusive, national campus climate commitment video sponsored by Apple, Inc.
• Writer and producer of Stevens County Historical Society film, “Men and Women of the Land.”
• Editor and producer of student recruitment videos.
• Creator of videos and news releases publicizing student activism events.
University of Minnesota, Morris
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, May 2011
Minor in Communications, Media, and Rhetoric
References for Matt Privratsky
Marc Kimball Christine Mahoney
Minnesota Communications Coordinator Director of Communications
Office of Senator Al Franken University of Minnesota, Morris
Work Phone: 651-221-1016 Work Phone: 320-589-6398
Cell Phone: 612-437-3270 firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor of Political Science, Director of Academic Center for Enrichment
University of Minnesota, Morris
Work Phone: 320-589-6205 Cell Phone: 320-491-7000
Jacqueline Johnson Brian Williams
Chancellor Congressional Relations Office
University of Minnesota, Morris Library of Congress
Work Phone: 320-589-6020 Work Phone: 202-707-0027