Highlights of Qualifications
• Over six years’ experience as a research editor for Prevention magazine, with extensive experience in the areas of general health, nutrition, and feature articles.
• Possess strong writing, researching and speaking skills through working at Prevention and previous positions.
• Strong attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and dedication to the product.
• Fact-check and conduct primary research for 15-20 articles per month. Specialize in the areas of general health, nutrition, food/recipes, and fitness. Help rewrite these to ensure accuracy.
• Research and fact-check articles on consumer health issues ranging from feature articles on cancer and heart attack prevention to smaller health news and trends pieces. Fact-check online articles as well as iPad issues.
• Communicate extensively with experts in medical, health, nutrition and fitness fields in person, through email and over the phone.
• Extensive knowledge of library databases, government sites, and primary sources necessary to conduct credible research.
• Work closely with editors in all areas to ensure accuracy of the magazine before it is published. Work with writers to obtain source information and review any discrepancies.
• Have written feature-length articles for a monthly medical magazine.
• Able to decipher complex scientific information and work with study authors to make the language accessible to readers.
• Assign freelance work and answer inquiries in research director’s absence.
• Able to multi-task several projects at once and meet tight production deadlines.
• Responsible for maintaining online sources packets/annotated copies of articles for the department.
• Complete magazine source packets on time and with all necessary information.
• Associate Research Editor, July 2007 - present
Rodale, Inc. (Prevention Magazine), Emmaus, PA
• Editor, May 2006 – July 2007
Herrin Publishing Partners, Malvern, PA
• Adjunct Professor of Humanities and Social Sciences, August 2005 - May 2006
Northampton Community College, Northampton, PA
• Bank Teller, May 2004 – January 2006
Wachovia Bank, Trexlertown, PA
M.A., English, May 2005
Kutztown University, Kutztown, PA
• Cumulative GPA – 3.9
• Graduate assistant in the English department; worked in the University Writing Center and conducted research for various professors in the English department.
B.A., English, May 2003
Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown, PA
• Cumulative GPA – 3.6; graduated with honors in English
• Political science minor
• Recipient of a Provost scholarship
Strong computer skills include Microsoft Office suite and extensive experience working with InCopy, InDesign and K4 Cross-Media Publishing Platform.
Experience working with Pubmed, the USDA Nutrient Database, MedlinePlus, and many other library databases.