Robert (Rob) Dahl
9876 Belair Rd, Baltimore, MD 21128
410-292-7731 (cell) email@example.com
With experience and knowledge in a variety of arenas, including technical editing, mathematics education, and the arts, I readily seek challenges and opportunities in growth to support the goals of my employer. Senior executives, peers, and customers value my responsiveness to deadlines and my effectiveness in both independent and team endeavors.
Technical Writer Sr. Professional, CSC, Linthicum, MD September 2010 – March 2011
• Copyedited 27+ textbooks (10,000+ pages) of cyber investigation training material
• Researched on the Internet and worked with instructors and editors to establish correct and consistent spelling of products and terms in cyber investigation
• Revised and further developed the style guide (45 pages proofread and revised and 35 pages of new material written) and technical glossary (22 pages proofread, with 230+ terms and 130+ acronyms researched for spelling and capitalization)
• Assisted in updating and preparing quarterly revisions of textbooks, as well as in verifying consistency between edited textbooks and newly created instructor guides
Editor, INFORMS, Hanover, MD January 2010 – May 2010
• Copyedited articles as an independent contractor for multiple technical, mathematical, and scientific journals in the field of operations research (Manufacturing & Service Operations Management and Organization Science)
Data Entry, BDCC (2010 Census), Evolver, Essex, MD March 2010 – September 2010
• Certified for and participated in viewing, interpreting, inputting, and processing alphanumeric information from thousands of census forms
Editor, CADMUS COMMUNICATIONS, Columbia, MD November 2008 – December 2009
I was a key member of the team producing text and graphic content for timely print and online publication in leading scientific and medical journals published by the Endocrine Society (Endocrinology, Molecular Endocrinology).
• Copyedited and checked manuscripts edited by independent contractors for adherence to journal style specifications under strict publishing deadlines
• Checked page proofs and revised proofs for fidelity to journal requirements and authors’ changes, ensuring proper layout and appearance of figures and tables and corresponding with authors of articles daily to ensure satisfaction
• Tracked articles in production management system and moved through production cycle, submitting articles and graphics to offshore composition plant and following up with e-mail when necessary
Data Entry Specialist, FRANKLIN SQUARE HOSPITAL CENTER, Baltimore, MD
May 2006 – September 2009
As a data entry specialist, I collaborated with primary care, pastoral care, community outreach staff, and several other departments to organize presentations and input/analyze financial, patient, and medical data to support the mission of a not-for-profit 380-bed hospital.
Rob Dahl 410-292-7731 firstname.lastname@example.org Page 2 of 2
Center for Promotion of Child Development through Primary Care, Baltimore, MD,
July – November 2008
• Worked remotely testing the use of a comprehensive Web-based diagnostic, management, and tracking tool (the Child Health and Development Interactive System, or CHADIS) to implement advances in pediatric practice
• Created sample responses to CHADIS surveys in XML format, reported on accuracy of the logic in each survey question, and suggested changes where appropriate
C2 EDUCATION CENTER, Baltimore, MD September 2006 – January 2007
I tutored elementary, middle, and high school students, working with three students at a time in SAT/PSAT test prep (Math/Verbal), elementary and middle school reading and arithmetic, and high school algebra, calculus, geometry, trigonometry, and chemistry.
PLAYTIME PIANO INSTRUCTION, Columbia, MD January 2007 – November 2008
I was a traveling piano instructor in a franchise business for up to 32 students per week, organizing and assigning a specific curriculum for each student, as well as helping to prepare for yearly recitals.
DIEBOLD TECH, Baltimore, MD July – September 2006
I tested for logic and accuracy more than 100 voting machines manufactured by the company and used around the state of Maryland. I served as Election Support Specialist in the statewide 2006 primary election, offering technical assistance at two polling places on the day of election to the chief judge and election officials and completing a checklist to verify proper procedures.
As a college student, I worked part-time as a health information file clerk at Franklin Square Hospital Center and as an assistant housing inspector through Snow Companies for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
B.A. Mathematics, University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC), May 2006
Key courses: Technical Writing, Mathematical Modeling
Advanced Placement: English Language and Composition (received top score of 5 on 2001 AP exam)
Academic awards: UMBC Regents Scholar, Maryland Distinguished Scholar, National Merit Scholar Honorable Mention, Valedictorian of 2001 Class at Parkville High School, Center for Mathematics, Science, and Computer Science of Baltimore County
Technical Skills and Proficiencies
90 wpm, 75 wpm (alphanumeric), proficient in production management systems specializing in article workflow, Microsoft (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Access, Windows Vista and previous versions), Adobe Acrobat, C++ and related programming, HTML, XML, MatLab, MathCAD
Editing styles: Edited manuscripts according to the Endocrine Society style guide, often employing Stedman’s Medical Dictionary and referring to PubMed for accuracy of references; edited INFORMS journals according to Chicago Manual of Style with some deviations according to the INFORMS style guide; passed the GPO Printer-Proofreader Exam in January 2010
I have an active Secret security clearance, effective since September 2010.