MICHAEL W. PERKINS
82 J. Davis Road,
Charlton MA 01507
OBJECTIVE: Freelance Scientific Writer/Editor, Science Fiction/Fantasy Writer/Editor
Freelance Textbook Editor. Navta Associates, Inc., Chicago, IL
• High school and AP biology texts proofread and edited for spelling and grammar, science content
Research Technician III, Charles River Laboratories Preclinical Services, Shrewsbury, MA
• Senior technician within Discovery Sciences Surgery group responsible for setting up and performing GLP studies in large animal models, leading groups of up to ten coworkers.
• Responsible for quality control of data, ensuring that timelines are met.
• Assisted in surgical procedures, administered and monitored anesthesia, monitored recovery, administered post-op treatments.
• Collaborated with other departments in executing pharmacokinetic and toxicokinetic studies.
Research Associate II, Abbott Bioresearch Center, Worcester, MA
• As lead research technician on long- and short-term studies, conducted in vivo and ex vivo drug discovery experiments using rats and mice, including models of adjuvant-induced arthritis, collagen-induced arthritis, chronic asthma, and peritonitis in rodent models.
• Performed microsurgery for rat heterotopic heart transplants models.
• Performed IgG ELISAs, FACS, PCR for mouse genotyping.
• Proofed and edited experimental presentations.
• Assisted in experimental design, organized collaborations with multiple groups of coworkers, performed literature searches to refine new experimental designs.
Research Associate, Tissue Engineering Laboratory, UMass Memorial Medical Center
• Conducted small- and large-animal experiments to investigate growing of replacement bone, tendon, and cartilage using donor cells grown on artificial scaffolds.
• Managed laboratory, ordered equipment, animals, and supplies. Completed and updated IACUC animal care and use forms, trained new personnel, coordinated experiments and collaborated with other departments and outside investigators.
• Assisted in grant writing, budget projections, etc.
• Edited scientific manuscripts for grammar and content.
• Skills included anesthesia and surgery, tissue harvesting, dosing, tissue culture, animal restraint, sample collection on species including dogs, pigs, rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, and mice.
• Bachelor of Science in Zoology, University of Massachusetts at Amherst
• Graduate Biology coursework, Worcester State College
• Immunology Seminar, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia PA
Lifetime reader, mainly interested in science fiction and fantasy. Interested in all science-related issues and discoveries in the fields of biology, physics, environmental sciences, etc. Beekeeper since 2000. Hobbies include reading, cycling, hiking, woodworking, travel, etc.