While I'm currently employed full time at a national, award-winning print magazine, I'm currently seeking a part-time or freelance editing/proofreading position. Along with excellent writing and editing skills in a variety of fields, I offer exceptional project-management capabilities.
•Senior Writer/Editor: EXHIBITOR magazine, Rochester, MN (2000-present).
Writer/editor for an educational trade publication aimed at exhibit managers and event planners. Although currently online at www.exhibitoronline.com, EXHIBITOR is primarily a print magazine with an international circulation of roughly 30,000 marketing professionals.
Responsibilities include editing columns and features and proofreading the entire magazine three times each month. Writing assignments include content for cover stories, features, columns, and departments, such as marketing case studies, how-to articles, news briefs, industry reports, travel stories, etc.
Management duties include organizing all magazine awards programs, such as the Exhibit Design Awards, Portable/Modular Awards, Corporate Event Awards, and All-Stars Awards. Managing each of these international programs involves securing nationally acclaimed judges, accepting and cataloging hundreds of entries, promoting the programs, writing winners' feature articles, budgeting, ordering trophies, etc.
•Proofreader/Editor: The Editing Authority, Highland Village, TX (www.EditingAuthority.com) (2009-present).
Founder of The Editing Authority, a Web-based business that offers proofreading and editing services.
•Copy Editor: Meredith Books, Eagan, MN (2000-2006).
Book copy editor. Operating on a freelance basis, I copy edited books for Meredith, publisher of the do-it-yourself books typically available at Lowe’s and The Home Depot.
•Web Writer/Marketing Associate: TransCore, Dallas, TX (2002).
Web-content manager, writer, and trade show assistant for a transportation-technology company. I was responsible for writing and editing internal and external Web content as well as product brochures, newsletters, case studies, direct mailers, banner ads, etc. I also managed multiple time-sensitive projects such as off-site events and exhibit shipments. I assisted the trade-show manager with all event-related activities, including on-site exhibit installation, strategy development, shipping, etc.
•Freelance Writer: Various publications (1996-2000).
Wrote business/trade-show profiles, international destination overviews, daily travel tips, and adventure guides for numerous magazines and e-zines.
•State/City Profile Writer: Atevo Travel (1999).
Completed extensive freelance assignments (12,000+ words) writing Minnesota and Minneapolis/St. Paul profiles for an Internet-based travel and information agency.
•Closed-Caption Video Describer: (1997-1998).
Wrote video description for visually impaired viewers.
•Owner of DogMa's Pooch Palace: Highland Village, TX (2012-present)/
Currently operate an in-home dog-boarding business, www.DogMasPoochPalace.com, which offers 24/7 care and attention from an in-home setting.
•Foster/Rescue-Organization Volunteer: In the last two years alone I've foster more than 14 boxers for Legacy Boxer Rescue. Fostering includes administering medications, providing 24/7 care, treating ailments and injuries, etc.
•English Teacher/School-To-Work Coordinator: Options in Adult Education, Lakeville, MN (1997-2000).
As an English teacher in an alternative high school, duties included instructing students in English courses from various nearby high schools. Courses taught included: Basic Composition, General Composition, Advanced Composition, Mass Media, World Literature, American Literature, and Creative Writing.
•Communications/Language Arts Teacher: Sunrise Park Middle School, White Bear Lake, MN (1995-1997).
Taught seventh and eighth grade communications/language arts. Instructed multiability students in seventh- and eighth-grade curriculum with class sizes averaging 34 students. Developed, selected, and implemented all curriculum. Created a media-integration plan for the department. Supervised and edited the school's student newspaper.
TRAVEL-INDUSTRY AND MISCELLANEOUS EXPERIENCE
•On-Site Tour Manager/Incentive Travel: Freelance (1991-1996).
Accompanied travelers on incentive-based travel programs. Handled transportation, lodging, activities, etc.
•City Tour Guide/Event Staff: Metro Connections, Minneapolis, MN (1991-1997).
Provided commentary for four-hour motorcoach tours of the Twin Cities. Accompanied various local tours (museums, galleries, theatres, casinos, riverboats, etc.). Provided on-site convention and trade-show assistance.
•Avid Traveler: Countries visited include: Ecuador, Peru, Germany, Greece, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Mexico, Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica, and Netherlands.
•DIY/Real Estate: Recently purchased and completely remodeled a foreclosed home with minimal assistance from contractors.
• 2006 Minnesota Magazine and Publishers Association (MMPA) – Silver Award for Best How-To Article, "Ballpark Budgeting"
• 2007 Minnesota Magazine and Publishers Association (MMPA) – Bronze Award for Best Feature Article, "OwnYour Market: Get Set, Mow."
• 2008 Tabbie Awards (Trade, Association, and Business Publications International, TABPI) – Honorable Mention in Best Feature Article, "Rental Report"
• 2008 Minnesota Magazine and Publishers Association (MMPA) – Silver Award for Best Feature Article "Budget Basics"
• 2008 Minnesota Magazine and Publishers Association (MMPA) – Bronze Award for Best How-To Article, "10 Tips for Tabletops"
• 2008 Azbee Awards (American Society of Business Publication Editors, ASBPE) – National Silver Award for Best How-To Article, "10 Tips for Tabletops"
• 2009 Tabbie Awards (Trade, Association, and Business Publications International, TABPI) – National Bronze Award for Best Focus/Profile Article, "Come One, Come Few"
• 2009 Tabbie Awards (Trade, Association, and Business Publications International, TABPI) – National Gold Award for Best How-To Article, "Nip/Tuck: 54 Ways to Cut Your Costs"
• 2009 Azbee Awards (American Society of Business Publication Editors, ASBPE) – National Gold Award for Best How-To Article, "Nip/Tuck: 54 Ways to Cut Your Costs"
• 2009 Azbee Awards (American Society of Business Publication Editors, ASBPE) – National Silver Award for Best Case History, "Come One, Come Few"
• 2010 Minnesota Magazine and Publishers Association (MMPA) – Silver Award for Best How-To Article "Budgeting: The Numbers Game"
• 2011 Tabbie Awards (Trade, Association, and Business Publications International, TABPI) – National Honorable Mention for Best How-To Article, "Light Oversights"
• 2011 Azbee Awards (American Society of Business Publication Editors, ASBPE) – National Silver Award for Best Organizational Profile, "Sip and Learn"
• 2012 Minnesota Magazine and Publishers Association (MMPA) — Gold Award for Best How-To Article "How to Calculate Your Costs"
• 2012 Minnesota Magazine and Publishers Association (MMPA) — Silver Award for Profile Article — "A Loaf Affair to Remember"
*Teaching Certification, Augsburg College, Minneapolis, 1994-1995. GPA: 3.82
*Bachelor of Arts, St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN, May, 1991
Summa *** Laude graduate. GPA: 3.82
Major: English (Writing Emphasis)
Minors: (2) Minority Studies & Human Relations
*Minnesota Secondary English Teaching Certificate (expired)
*Certified Tour Director
• 2008-present – Editorial judge for the Minnesota Magazine and Publishers Association (MMPA)
Hard-copy writing samples are available upon request. However, you can view current bylined articles at the following links: