Mary K. Lynch
February 2010 – Present
Proofreader, Copywriter, Web Auditor, Graphic Designer
• Proof copy for client direct mail solicitations, client web sites and internal business teams.
• Detect and mark up any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors in the documents and provide feedback to the appropriate departments.
• Offer copy suggestions for improvement of existing materials.
• Communicate directly with letter shop print team, the account executive team and the marketing operations team.
• Proof layout dimensions, spacing, and positioning of solicitation elements (copy, logos and images) to verify correct specifications by letter shop and/or print vendors.
• Ensures printed material coincides with copy decks used for material programming.
• Create flyers, employment ads, newsletters, marketing posters, case studies and more using InDesign, Photoshop, Microsoft Publisher.
• Create and write copy for client direct mail solicitations, client web sites, and client email campaigns.
• Create and develop client direct mail pieces with InDesign.
• Write interesting and creative copy for client web sites to attract and promote customer conversions.
• Developed a Standard Operating Procedure for auditing established client web sites.
• Conduct quality assurance audits of previously established client web sites.
• Developed several video ideas as well as work with a local Video Production Company to produce three videos.
June 2008 – Present
Today’s Woman Magazine
• June 2008 – December 2008: Responsible for writing a monthly section called, “Neighborhood Style,” including meeting with restaurant and shop owners in different
neighborhoods in the Louisville and Southern Indiana areas.
• Write articles as requested by Editor.
November 2009 – February 2010
• Research news broadcasts.
• Track media coverage.
• Do reports on a schedule determined by client.
• Create client specific search profiles using Boolean logic.
• Complete reports while meeting daily, weekly and monthly deadlines.
• Perform all tasks with minimal supervision.
July 2009 – October 2009
Order Management Specialist
• Work with sales manager to create course packs for professors all over the U.S.
• Research items for course packs for publication rights, original sources.
• Make sure all bibliographies are correct and cleared.
• Proofread articles for course packs.
• Make sure all items are entered correctly and deadlines are met.
• Quality checks of others work to ensure course packs are error free.
August 2006 – July 2009
The Louisville Cardinal Newspaper
The Louisville Cardinal Board of Directors: January 2009 – January 2010
As Editor in Chief:
• Use InDesign, Photoshop, All Microsoft programs for layout and production.
• Update Web site several times per day, write articles for online newspaper, and add photos and video to Web newspaper. Update the online newspaper accordingly.
• Hire qualified editors, reporters, photographers, copy editors.
• Supervise all section editors and their staffs.
• Conduct all planning and staff meetings, attends budget/board meetings.
• Do chief reads on all copy; compiles web briefs and stories as needed.
• Proofread all pages before they are sent to the printer. Oversee all staff
during production, perform pagination using InDesign. Send edited pages to print.
• Check stories for legal and ethical concerns and consults adviser on
• Oversee payroll and salaries for newsroom staff.
• Work to meet budget and deadlines each week.
• Coordinate photo coverage with editors and photographers.
• Take story ideas, tips and concerns and responds quickly and efficiently.
• Write news, features, editorials and investigative reports.
• Developed two radio news talk shows with campus radio station, hosted by
As Chief Copy Editor:
• Perform initial and final edit/proofreading to all articles from each section
before paper goes to print. Rewriting articles as necessary. Used InDesign
while editing. Work on Web site and update/edit online newspaper accordingly.
• Wrote articles, cutlines and headlines.
As Feature Editor:
• Instrumental in increasing university specific stories in the Features section
and reducing dependency on UWire, a cooperative news service.
• Oversight of six reporters: made sure all deadlines were met, worked with reporters on story development, recruited staff.
• Created and assigned ideas, including contacts and possible leads.
• Reported and wrote features.
• Edited and revised all articles before sending to copy.
• Did layout of the Features sections utilizing InDesign.
• Wrote cutlines and headlines for articles.
April 2008 – December 2008
The Spencer Magnet Newspaper
• Story development, conduct interviews, investigation and research
for articles. Responsible for updating Web site with articles.
• Responsible for coverage of city, county news, education,
agriculture, crime, public records as well as feature articles and
• Responsible for all photographs with articles.
• Editing other reporter’s articles
• Use InDesign for pagination and graphics.
• Meet strict deadlines.
• Write cutlines and headlines for articles and photographs.
February 2002 – May 2008
Riverside Properties/Jimmy’s on the River
• Used QuickBooks for all accounting needs, including keeping daily records of sales and income from restaurant, rental properties.
• Took care of payroll, figured employment taxes, kept all employee records.
• Scheduled maintenance of equipment for restaurant, rental apartments.
• Schedule appointments with potential renters; do credit checks, background checks on potential renters and handled evictions through court system.
• Did employee schedules. Hired and trained employees, go over procedures, rules and regulations.
• Did all accounts payable and receivable for restaurant and rental properties.
• Bank reconciliation for two business accounts. Make deposits for both restaurant and rental properties.
University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
• B.A., English - May 2009
• Minor, Justice Administration
2008 Kentucky Press Association:
First Place Award – Editorial Writing
Second Place Award – Enterprise and Analytical Writing
From The Louisville Cardinal:
2008-2009 - Bob Schulman Award
Jeffersonville City Emergency Planner/Communications Supervisor
City of Jeffersonville/Jeffersonville Police Department
Asst Dir Environment Ops Mgr
University of Louisville: Environmental Health & Safety
Assoc VP Comm & Marketing
University of Louisville
University of Louisville