AMA/AP COPY EDITOR, PROOFREADER, FACT-CHECKER
Content: Promotional, scientific, educational text and data for health care professionals and consumers
Tools: Adobe Pro, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, SharePoint, Reference Manager, content management systems
Pharmaceutical Experience: Varied projects via medical communications agencies; contractor at Bristol-Myers Squibb, Merck, Wyeth
• Completed 10,000+ jobs on time. Ensured style and contract conformance.
• Improved product quality and readability, edited for consistent and distinct looks for target audience.
• Raised readership, circulation, Q-scores; earned industry awards. Increased traffic using SEO and Twitter.
• Managed unique style guides.
• Cut operating costs by streamlining workflows, co-writing standard CME proposal language, working collaboratively to optimize team goals and efficiency.
Freelance Proofreader, BioCentric Inc, October 2013
Proofread slide decks, meeting reports, detail aids.
Copy Editor-Proofreader, The Creative Group, July 2013-present
Four assignments at three medical communications agencies. Copy edit, fact-check, proofread:
• Journal article manuscripts and submission materials
• Professional meeting posters, reviewer comments
• Modules for pharmaceutical training program
Work in Adobe Acrobat X Pro, Word, PowerPoint.
Developmental Editor, Randstad, February-May 2013
Assigned to Reed Elsevier. Edited surgical monographs in CMS. Started workflows, assigned tasks to writers, reviewers, copy editor, managing editor. Conducted final QA reviews, promoted articles to publishing queue.
Medical Copy Editor-Proofreader, The Creative Group, July 2011-December 2012
• Completed 11 assignments at 8 medical communications agencies.
• Reviewed abstracts, e-mail blasts, iPad apps, journal articles and blue lines, PDF annotations, PIs, posters, print-to-tablet conversions, proposals, sales training modules, slide decks, SOWs, websites.
• Projects for Astra Zeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Endo, GSK, Novartis, sanofi-aventis.
Senior Copy Editor, OptumHealth, 2007-2011
Edited 8,000 articles, recipes, banners, and website tools for myOptumHealth.com to 7th grade reading level. Rewrote FDA press releases. Managed AP-based style guide. Checked facts in PubMed, MD Consult, and approved websites. Edited text in CMS; controlled document flow in SharePoint. Led staff meetings.
Medical Copy Editor, MediTech Media Ltd, 2006
Edited diabetes CME programs, proposals, research papers, and CaringForDiabetes.com for professionals, sponsored by Eli Lilly. Edited posters, slide decks for Bristol-Myers Squibb, FDA Review Committee documents for Dendreon. Used Reference Manager.
Independent Copy Editor-Proofreader, 2004-2006
Freelance Editor: Populated clinical study tables for biometrics consulting firm. Edited archaeology text, PhD dissertation, self-help books, Web copy.
• Advertising, labeling, marketing, sales training content for Bristol-Myers Squibb, Wyeth, medical communications agencies; section of 2006 Healthcare Standards for ECRI
• Mutual fund reports for investment firms
Associate Editor, Slack Incorporated, 2000-2004
Edited 1,500 articles for Ocular Surgery News. Wrote headlines, ledes. Did substantive editing and rewrites working with medical thought leaders and ESL authors worldwide. Managed AMA-based style guide. Mentored new editor. Frequent contact with Alcon, Allergan, Bausch & Lomb, others.
Copy Editor, Kelly Services, 2000
Assigned to Merck Marketing Communications. Edited PI and promotional content for Fosamax.
Assistant Editor, Institute for Scientific Information (now Thomson Scientific), 1995-2000
Evaluated books/journals in life, physical, social sciences for inclusion in Current Contents and Journal Citation Reports. Performed competitor studies in Access databases.
MA, American Civilization, the George Washington University
BA, American Studies, Temple University
Continuing Education Advanced technical writing, graduate business study; in-house computer and copy editing training.