WINONA J. FLYING EARTH ORAH
To find employment or a way of making a living that gives expression to my unique abilities.
Surveillance Agent Grand River Casino and Lodge, 2 miles west of Mobridge on Hwy. 12, Nov. ’09 to March 2013. Ensure security of casino and lodge premises and customers.
Receptionist Sitting Bull College, Mobridge campus, Aug.22, ‘07 to June ‘09
Maintain Sitting Bull College Mobridge campus. Work with all area students and the surrounding community.
Paralegal South Dakota Coalition Against Domestic Violence and ****** Assault, Sept. 7,’04 to July 25, ‘06.
• Assist the underserved abuse and ****** assault population for the Standing
Rock, Cheyenne River and surrounding areas in all related legal issues.
Certified in both Tribal courts for legal advocacy/representation.
Shelter Manager Bridges Against Domestic Violence, Mobridge, SD Aug. 2002 – to Sept. 7, ‘04
• **** counseling, assist with Protection and Stalking Orders, help women in
Shelter get re-established, community education on domestic violence, and general upkeep of shelter and statistics.
Court Administrator Standing Rock Tribal Court, Fort Yates, ND March 25, 2002 – Aug. 2002
• Supervise all Court proceedings, manage more then six budgets and 17
Court personnel. Work with the Tribal Council, Judicial Committee and the Tribal communities.
Tribal Government U.S. Census Bureau, Wakpala, SD Aug. 1999 - June 2000
Partnership Specialist • Consulted tribal governments in North and South Dakota to ensure accurate census data
Director Standing Rock Tribal Education Dept., Fort Yates, ND Feb. 1994 - Sept. 1999
• Pioneered direction of department, supervised educational programs and tribal schools, developed and implemented education code and policies, developed Lakota language teacher certification
Associate Project Red Lake Band of Chippewa, extension office-Wakpala, SD Dec.1990-Dec.1993
Director • Assisted in development of tribal education department and comprehensive
tribal code of education
• Amnesty International – Advisory group member for 2007 A.I. report – Maze of Injustice
WINONA J. FLYING EARTH ORAH PAGE 2
• Board member, Indian Health Service Scholarship Advisory Board
• Voluteer/Board member, Bridges Against Domestic Violence, 1994 to present
• Organizer, US Information Agency for international educators, 1986 & 1993
* Organizer, Mni Wiconi Alcohol Abuse Prevention Seminar, 1985
* Ikce Wicasa Cultural Club, Standing Rock Community College, 1984
* Cultural Consultant, Denver Art Museum, 1976
* Curriculum Specialist, UND Indians into Medicine Program, 1975
* Active in local community events and gatherings
* Community lecturer on Lakota culture
* Former Johnson O’Malley Parent Committee member
* Traditional arts, beadwork, quillwork, moccasin construction, sewing
1989 - 1991 Minot State University - Minot, North Dakota - B.A. General Studies
* *** Laude
* Midnight Strong Heart – music CD by Kevin Locke (brother), 2003, Red Feather Music
* Education Code of the Red Lake Band of Chippewa, 1992
* Lakota Language instructional tape, 1985
* Traditional & Contemporary intertribal songs, Institute of American Indian Arts
Chris Jongeling Kevin Locke
P.O. Box 141 P.O. Box 22
Pierre, SD 57501 Wakpala, SD 57658
605 945 0869 605 848 0550
211 2nd St. E.
Mobridge, SD 57601
605 845 2110 work