2306 Danbury Lane
Hudson, Ohio 44236
Phone, 330-650-1916; Fax, 330-653-8560
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Self-motivated professional editor with proven ability to work in fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment; excellent attention to detail
• Proficient in substantive editing, copyediting, and proofreading
• Twenty-six years’ experience in publishing
• Possess strong writing, organizational, and project management skills necessary to work independently
• Complete familiarity with American Medical Association style, as well as knowledge of medical terminology, clinical research paper requirements, and clinical trial protocols
Elsevier Inc., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Freelance Copyeditor (2011–Present)
• Copyediting Clinical Therapeutics and Gender Medicine.
Cadmus Communications, Columbia, Maryland
Freelance Copyeditor (2010–Present)
• Copyediting and coding of complete text, references, figure legends, and supporting information for articles in the journal Pediatrics.
Excerpta Medica, Inc., Bridgewater, New Jersey
Freelance Editorial Consultant (1997–2010)
• Employed as freelance editorial consultant. Worked on Clinical Therapeutics, The American Journal of Geriatric Pharmacotherapy, Gender Medicine, Current Therapeutic Research, and Insulin, as well as various supplements to these journals.
• Responsibilities included overseeing articles for publication once they are peer reviewed. Involved communicating directly with authors and production department to handle all project-related correspondence and trafficking of materials (conducted primarily through use of e-mail [and phone/fax as needed]). In addition, tasks included substantive editing of each peer-reviewed article; checking of facts and figures; and rewriting of copy as needed. Entailed review of each stage of production, from unedited manuscript through completed, author-approved digital proofs. Maintain high-quality, smooth workflow while adhering to schedules.
Managing Editor/Project Editor/Proofreading Manager/Proofreader (1987¬–1997)
• Worked full-time for medical communications firm. Hired first as a proofreader and then promoted through a wide variety of editorial positions (proofreader, proofreading manager, project editor, then managing editor) before assuming present freelance role with company.
• Various responsibilities included supervising in-house editorial staff, as well as freelance workers, to guarantee that deadlines and objectives were met; performed substantive editing and proofreading; organized editorial projects in liaison with the production department and outside designers and printers; ensured that all content adhered to established standards and style guides; reviewed all aspects of copy, from original manuscript through bluelines; performed content quality control; and helped establish house style guide.
The Publisher’s Network (1986–1987)
• Project manager for small publishing/printing house specializing in mathematics/scientific textbooks. Responsible for overseeing editorial projects from rough draft through final copy. Tasks included editing materials and working closely with authors and production department.
• Responsible for ensuring that projects met the clients’ objectives and were completed to the highest possible editorial standards within the deadlines.
Marshall & Stevens (1985–1986)
• Hired first as a proofreader for real estate appraisal firm and then promoted to proofreading manager. Responsibilities included proofreading of all reports, checking of data, and overseeing work of 2 proofreaders. Was responsible for maintaining schedules and guaranteeing accuracy of real estate appraisal reports.
B.A. in English, Pennsylvania State University, 1985
Member, American Medical Writers Association
Member, Editorial Freelancers Association
• Volunteer at The Humane Society of Greater Akron since February 2007. Responsibilities include walking dogs, cleaning cages, attending fundraisers, and helping socialize cats.
Available on request