Juan A. Lizama
2907 Twain Lane Richmond, VA 23224
Cell: (804) 882-6226 Email: email@example.com
Alternative: (804) 628-0874
• Virginia Commonwealth University; Bachelor’s Degree in Mass
Communications, Dec. 2002.
• VCU Health Systems: English-Spanish Interpreter/Translator, May 2011-Present
• Logged in over 500 hours of English and Spanish interpreting for patients and healthcare providers at VCU Medical Center and its outlying clinics.
• Translated over 200,000 words for patient correspondence and other hospital materials such as patient information brochures and manuals.
FREELANCE WRITER: 2010-Present
• Wrote articles for Richmond Magazine and Spanish-language newspapers Nuevas
Raíces and Tidewater Hispanic.
• Richmond Times-Dispatch; Richmond, VA; Staff writer: 2003-2010
o Managed news coverage in public education, immigration, Latino/Hispanic communities, local government and law enforcement.
o Monitored issues in the areas of coverage and anticipated readers’ interests and wrote articles on those issues.
o Researched and wrote award-winning breaking news and daily and enterprise stories for the front page.
o Covered schools for the last two years in Henrico and Chesterfield counties, which have more than 100,000 students combined.
o Helped to organize internal discussions with outside experts coming in to the paper’s office on the coverage of Latino issues in the Richmond area
o Gave talks at local schools and at VCU and the University of Richmond about my profession as journalist and,
o Served as a panelist on a Virginia Press Association’s annual awards event
news coverage of Latinos.
Richmond Times-Dispatch: Intern, fall 2002
• Landed an interview with one of two men mistakenly arrested in Henrico County,
VA. Authorities believed the men were the snipers who were killing people along the interstate in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania in the fall of 2002. The two men were deported to Mexico and Guatemala. Reporting and writing, which convinced management to hire me full time to continue coverage of this growing immigrant group.
The Daily Press: Newport News, VA; Intern, summer 2002
• Reported and wrote feature articles, helped editors update the restaurant list for a
special annual section, updated weekly movie schedules.
Richmond Times-Dispatch: Copy messenger, spring 2002
• While my duties were to distribute incoming faxes to reporters and editors in the
newsroom and to sort mail, I sold an editor on a couple of story ideas that were
published on the front page of the Metro section.
• Worked as a spokesman in 2009 for the Central Virginia Chapter of the League of United Latin American Citizens; Led a radio, newspaper and TV campaign to promote the successful LULAC 2009 Latino Film Festival in 2009 in Richmond
• Served as judge three years in a row for the speech competition and as a “Hero” at the Hispanic Youth Symposium for high school students held in the Richmond area.
• Mentored high school students interested in journalism through the VCU Urban Journalism Workshop held during the summer while working at the Richmond Times Dispatch.
• Completed a 40-hour medical interpreting course on July 2011 at VCU Medical
• Speak and write proficiently in English and Spanish.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
• Knowledge of social media tools, such as Facebook, YouTube and Tweeter.
• Virginia Press Association
• Third place award (2005) for education writing.
• Group award (2003) for coverage of snipers John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo in the fall of 2002.