I am an expert in creating strategically-positioned purpose-driven narratives. In other words, I move people towards something specific: to think, to take action or to become invested in a narrative. I am an award-winning screenwriter who brings a unique combination of experiences to my craft, to work with start-ups and struggling non-profits, to serving as a press secretary for then-Senator Joe Biden, and a press and campaign aide to Sen. Jay Rockefeller to Wall Street where I managed PR for M&A and crises for the likes of Carl Icahn.
Creative Executions, LLC, Founder & CEO 2008 – Present
• A creative media production and content generation company.
• Prolific writer of screenplays – my love and passion (Insurgent, Running Men, Bermuda Triangle, Family Stones, Americana, Black Ops)
• Video production services; voiceovers; copy writing.
• Co-Writer, Connection, Community and Conversation: Making Social Media work for Business
• Author, The Power of Conviction: The Inspirational Story of a Wrongfully Convicted Man (due Spring 2014)
• Lead actor and producer of American Jubilee (2012), an independent film
The Advocom Group, Senior Managing Director 2011 – Present
Global Advocacy and Communications Consultancy
• Helped organize and launch a new strategic consultancy, leveraging the nexus where brands are influenced: governments, capital and communications.
• Founded the New York Office and leader of the communications practice. Helped create the business model, build the brand and grow the business.
• Leader of Communications and Digital Practice, working closely with the capital markets team to position and fund start-ups and emerging businesses ($5m - $100m in revenues). I operate as part of a communications, public affairs and capital markets SWAT team that takes an integrated and holistic view of an emerging brand and leads it to the next phase of its development.
Full-Time Father 2005-2008
Cared for my terminally ill wife and raised my children after she wife passed away, writing every day. Best, and toughest job, I ever had. There isn’t a crisis I could face that’s worse than anything I’ve been through.
Greens Farms Academy, Director of Development June 2002 – June 2005
• Worked with staff and volunteers to overhaul brand, build a new fundraising and communications operations. Helped codify the school's brand, raising over $25 million, positioning the school for an unprecedented era of growth.
The Kimball Group, Vice President, Marketing and Communications 2000 – 2002
• Managed fundraising and communications for a successful $50 million development campaign, successfully securing town support, positive media coverage and aligning key stakeholders and the brand through the process.
Pappas MacDonnell, Managing Director 1999-2000
• Corporate communications consulting work with IBM, GE Capital, Avis, among others.
The Abernathy MacGregor Group, Vice President 1997 –1999
New York, NY
• Handled communications, media and investor relations for corporations involved in crises, mergers, acquisitions and hostile takeovers.
Senator John D. Rockefeller IV, Washington Campaign Manager 1995 –1997
• Managed budget, ran operations including fundraising (Julianna Smoot and Henry Donahue), political, communications and research.
American Academy of Pediatrics, Director of Public Affairs 1994 – 1995
• Managed public relations during the push for children’s health care reform with Irwin Redlener and Howard Pearson
Senator John. D. Rockefeller IV, Deputy Press Secretary 1991 – 1994
• Managed all aspects of media relations, including ground-breaking work in activating grassroots networks to mobilize around issues.
• Handled communications, including media relations, during Sen. Rockefeller’s 1992 Presidential Exploratory campaign
Senator Joseph R. Biden, Jr., Assistant Press Secretary 1990 – 1991
• Managed day-to-day media relations for Senator Biden, and served on-loan to the Senate Judiciary Committee during the Supreme Court nomination of Justice Souter.
Senator George J. Mitchell, Mailroom Assistant; Press Intern 1989 – 1990
Emerson College, Boston, MA
M.A. Rhetorical Theory and Political Communication Studies, 1989
• Graduated at the top of my class. Helped launch the political communications program. Taught debate to two sections of undergraduate students.
B.S. in Communication Studies, 1988
• Participated as one of two featured debaters as the only American school represented during a debate in Scotland honoring Robert Burns day.
Northfield Mt. Hermon School, Mt. Hermon, MA
• Honors Classes: AP Environmental Science, Advanced Alternative Photography
• Marine Biology, Black Gold: History of Oil Production and Consumption, Pre-Calculus, United States History