Eric Van Dril
Phone: (630) 363-0409
Graduated in the spring 2009 with a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication from the University of Iowa. Have spent more than three years writing online about sports and pop culture for a variety of web sites. Worked for three widely-read news organizations and possess a deep-seeded knowledge of all sports – a point emphasized in current work as a sportswriter for the Kane County Chronicle and AOL’s Patch.com. In addition to working as a journalist, continue to produce TheStrokesNews.com, a site which has had 345,737 views in March, 2011 by engaging audience and producing content with significant value.
Graduated from the University of Iowa with a degree in Journalism and Mass Communications.
On Dean’s List in fall 2008. 3.49 GPA in spring 2009.
Took advanced-level courses in Online Journalism, Publication Design, Sports Writing and Reporting.
Overall Journalism School GPA = 3.44.
Applicable Professional History:
Kane County Chronicle, Sports Reporter: August 2009 – Current.
• Primarily cover high school sporting events, but also write a weekly column and feature stories.
• Worked as paper’s Golf Insider in fall 2010 and continue to write a weekly column called “On Campus,” which features collegiate athletes from the paper’s area of circulation.
• Consistently meet paper’s tight deadlines. Examples include several high school basketball and football games where less than 30 minutes is provided to write a story of 350-400 words.
• Work is accurate, fair and intriguing because of a strong attention to detail and drive for perfection.
The Cedar Rapids Gazette’s HooplaNow.com: Nov. 2008 – Dec. 2010.
• Wrote seven entertainment news stories-per-week on HooplaNow.com.
• Stories serve as vital piece in helping meet The Gazette’s web traffic goals for HooplaNow.com. Increased traffic by using keyword-rich leads and tagging keywords within the story.
RipcordNews.com/TheStrokesNews.com: March 2009 – Current
• Built loyal readership of over 4,000 music fans which trust TheStrokesNews.com, formerly RipcordNews.com, as the primary source for news about The Strokes.
• Website had 238,542 page views in February, 2011 and 345,737 views in March, 2011.
• Use Twitter and Facebook to continue growth of website.
Huntley.Patch.com: October 2010 – February 2011
• Worked as a sportswriter for AOL’s local journalism website, building relationships with athletes, coaches and parents within the Huntley community.
• Wrote 2-6 stories-per-week.
TheCelebrityCafe.com: January 2008 – January 2009.
• Produced an average of 30 pop culture stories during internship, and more than 50-per-week when hired following internship.
• Several articles made it to the top of Google News’ Entertainment section.
• Wrote over 2,500 articles total for the website, most of which were written under tight deadlines.
References Available Upon Request