Detail-oriented Biotechnology Professional with a demonstrated ability to rapidly acquire expertise and understanding of leading-edge technologies. Advanced customer service skills with extensive troubleshooting and problem-solving capabilities. Ability to work in a fast-paced corporate environment with cross-functional teams. Flexible and adaptable, as needed, to dynamic and changing priorities. Independent, self-starter, ability to work with minimal supervision and from a remote location.
• Cell and Molecular Biology applications subject matter expertise
• Proficient copy editor and proofreader with experience in training materials development
• Able to generate, advance, and complete projects in a deadline-driven environment
• Well-developed written and oral communications and presentation skills
2013–Present Quality Control Technical Copy Editor
Life Technologies, Carlsbad, CA
• Work as an independent contractor (freelance) and remote Copy Editor/Proofreader.
• Have recently consulted for Agnew Multilingual (Westlake Village, CA) and QuantoBio (Beijing, China).
• Types of projects include: marketing/advertising collateral/periodicals, brochures and flyers, web content, email communications, product catalogs, application notes, technical documents, product inserts, SOPs and regulatory, white paper, customer-facing and internal, legal contracts, and corporate materials.
• Subject matter includes: scientific, medical, legal, general. Style guides: AMA, APA, Chicago, in-house.
2011–2012 Fisher/Unity Labs Conversion/Sourcing Specialist for Amgen, On-Site
Thermo Fisher Scientific, Thousand Oaks, CA
• Responsible for sourcing and procurement of the following for end users at all Amgen locations:
? Life science reagents and kits ? Chemicals ? Bioprocess and biological supplies
? Laboratory equipment and supplies ? Consumables ? FDA/IVD clinical materials
• Utilized biotechnical subject matter expertise to critically examine end-user requisitions with the intent of identifying specific sales opportunities for conversion to franchised (Thermo Fisher) products.
• Worked within the scope (SLA) of the established technical protocol/contract with Amgen and within budgetary requirements.
• Thermo Fisher integration team at Amgen and assisted with the establishment, generation, clarification, and improvement of:
? SOPs and work instructions ? Team and individual metrics
? Team structure and organization ? Protocols and process enhancements
2001–2010 Senior Technical Product Application Scientist (Tech Support Rep II)
Life Technologies, Invitrogen, BioSource International, Camarillo, CA
• Worked at an ISO-certified biomanufacturing facility to promote life science research and FDA-regulated products to internal and external customers.
• Provided superior customer-centric technical guidance and application support to domestic and global researchers from academia, government, and industry.
• Served as an escalation pathway and source of biotechnical information for other internal teams providing support, resolved complex customer complaints and issues, and relayed customer feedback (VOC) to the organization.
Risë Kwake (805) 445-9041 Page 2
CAREER SUMMARY cont.
• Interfaced and worked cooperatively with other internal teams: R&D, Marketing, Production, Quality, Planning, Sales, and Operations to streamline processes and information access.
• Improved depth and level of training of the Technical and Sales teams through updated materials.
• Reviewed, copy edited, and proofread technical literature including marketing/advertising materials, technical data sheets, assay protocols, and quality documents: SOPs and batch records; known for detailed proofreading capabilities and depth of level of technical knowledge.
• Document-based: Microsoft Office Suite—Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Publisher
• Web-based: Citrix, WebEx
• Data and Contact Management (CRM): QuickBase, Siebel, RightNow, GoldMine, SharePoint,
• Financial, Quality, and Inventory Management (ERP): JDEdwards, eFinity/Aruba, Enterprise One, TrackWise, Agile PC, WebReq, StreamDoc, Mainframe/Century, ManFact
• Copy editing: Adobe—Acrobat, Dreamweaver, InCopy; Microsoft Office Word Track Changes
SCIENTIFIC APPLICATIONS and PRODUCTS SUPPORT
• Assays: ELISA, multiplex bead (Luminex), DynaBeads, ELISpot, kinase activity assays
• Antibody applications: western blot, immunoprecipitation, neutralization assays
• Staining applications: immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence (flow cytometry)
• Molecular biology applications: PCR—real-time, quantitative, digital, and multiplex PCR, in situ hybridization (FISH, CISH), next-generation sequencing
• Cell culture: including stem cell culture techniques, bioactivity and functional assays, bioproduction
• Disease states: cancer, neurodegenerative, diabetes, arthritis, cardiovascular, asthma, pain, neuromuscular, autoimmune disorders
• Recombinant proteins and expression systems; polyclonal, monoclonal, secondary antibodies
• Cytokines, chemokines, and growth factors; signal transduction proteins, pathways
• Peptide and oligonucleotide synthesis; cell stimulators, inhibitors, and other biochemicals
ADDITIONAL CAREER HISTORY
1996–2001 Commercial and Residential Property Manager*
Heritage Real Estate Group, Oxnard, CA
Buchalter-Hill Real Estate Homes for Rent, Ventura, CA
* From 1991-2006 State of California Licensed Real Estate Agent
1989–1994† Pharmaceutical Sales Representative
Whitehall Robins, American Home Products, Ventura, CA
Schering-Plough Corporation (now part of Merck), Ventura, CA
†Took 2 years off to care for my child (1994-1996)
Master of Science, Biotechnology California State University, Channel Islands (2013)
Postgraduate Studies, Veterinary Medicine School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis
Bachelor of Science, Zoology University of California, Davis