SEASONED WRITER / EDITOR / COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
Award-winning journalist with more than 15 years of editorial management experience. Adept at increasing trade magazine subscriptions by as much as 25 percent through exemplary design and editorial direction. Skilled writer with a proven history of creating compelling articles/copy through innovative idea brainstorming, excellent research skills and high-impact writing. Accomplished career history also includes time spent as a PR and advertising copywriter. Areas of expertise:
Company Profiles • Feature Writing • Press Releases • Blog Content • Newsletters
Marketing and Advertising Collateral • Brochures • Public Speaking Presentations • Online Content
Digital ad content • Layout • Budget Management • Technical Articles • Sharp Editing
MOST RECENT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, 1993-Present
SOUTHWESTERN ILLINOIS COLLEGE, Belleville, IL (Current)
MCKENDREE UNIVERSITY, Lebanon, IL (Current)
LINDENWOOD UNIVERSITY, Belleville, IL (Current)
Adjunct English, Journalism, and Business Communications instructor.
BNP MEDIA, Troy, Michigan • 1993-2009
Over 15 years with business-to-business publisher with 40 titles and 300 employees.
Senior Editor, The Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration News (2004-2009)
Provided the heating and cooling contractor industry with news, profiles, training features, and event-show coverage, generating editorial content in a high-paced, weekly deadline-driven environment. Forged strategic relationships with major manufacturers, foundations and contractors to determine key industry trends, educational opportunities and to secure exclusive articles; utilized information to develop a high-impact, highly sellable editorial calendar. Covered industry-related events. Traveled to contractor facilities around the U.S. for profile article interviews. Edited and proofread content prior to going to press.
* Recognized with a Silver Award, Features, in the 2007 American Society of Business Publication Editors National Awards competition.
* Orchestrated an educational seminar for the industry’s leading exposition, assembling training experts from leading businesses.
* Pinpointed industry need for more training information; leveraged findings to spearhead and establish a monthly “learning center” section, as well as a regular monthly article on training.
* Directed comprehensive “best instructor” contest involving contractors nationwide.
Editor-In-Chief, The Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration News (1999-2004)
Delivered editorial leadership over the content development and production of a weekly trade magazine, maintaining its reputation as the leading industry trade publication. Directed an 8-person editorial team, in addition to a group of freelance writers, to deliver compelling stories by deadline. Reported on trade events. Oversaw production of supplemental and specialty issues.
* Realized a 25 percent increase in subscriptions after overhauling editorial and design infrastructure to ramp up magazine image and strengthen coverage.
* Increased online presence by spearheading establishment of online-exclusive portal.
* Effectively directed production of the magazines largest-ever issue of 130+ pages.
* Improved internal communication by initiating a weekly editorial planning session.
Managed a team of staff members and freelance writers to prepare, create and produce a monthly trade journal read by engineers and mechanical contractors related to the non-residential heating and cooling equipment industry. Collaborated with publisher, editorial team and production team to increase efficiency and boost performance.
* Received multiple corporate awards related to layout and article writing, including: Best Graphic Treatment, Best News or Feature Story, President’s Award, Best Technical Article.
* Honored with three national awards: Gold, News Story, American Society of Business Publication Editors; Silver, Regular Column, Regular Department, Front Cover, American Society of Business Editors; and Bronze, Best Re-Design, Trade Publication from Folio Magazine.
* Enhanced credibility of publication by hiring a mechanical engineer as a full-time contributor.
* Established order and accountability to magazine with a previous reputation of missing deadlines; consistently met all production deadlines.
Associate Editor (1993-1995)
Supported editorial mission of two trade publications: Engineered Systems and Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration News. Researched story ideas, interviewed experts and wrote articles. Pinpointed new story ideas by gaining understanding of industry. Awarded with Best Technical Article in-house award.
SUMMARY OF ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, 1976-1993
PRESS & GUIDE NEWSPAPERS, Dearborn, MI (1990-1993)
Lifestyles Editor: Managed all aspects of the Lifestyles section, overseeing story ideas, writing, editing and layout. Supervised a team of writers to produce section on-time and within budget.
Editor, Warrendale/West Detroit Edition: Achieved news award from Michigan Press Association. Planned, wrote, edited and laid out each edition. Performed research. Coordinated freelance assignments.
FALBAUM & ASSOCIATES, Birmingham, MI (1990)
Account Executive: Supported corporate client’s branding initiatives by spearheading the production of press releases, newsletters, advertising and marketing collateral.
MICHIGAN HEALTH CARE CORPORATION, Detroit, MI (1987-1990)
Assistant Administrator of Corporate Public Affairs: Responsibilities included contributing to and implementing the press relations, marketing, advertising, communications, and public relations functions/strategies of one of Michigan’s largest provider of mental health care.
* As editor, reduced the cost of producing the corporation’s quarterly magazine by nearly $10,000 annually. Publication was voted “Best Internal Publication” in the 1998 American Osteopathic Hospital Association’s Marketing Competition.
* Organized the press relations program for the corporation. Successful results included a media-Detroit Pistons charity basketball game, placement of features in local and national health care magazines, local business notes, and a hospital grand opening, which drew positive exposure.
* Responsible for updating technical manuals, brochures, press releases, and general communications. Acted as media relations person, keeping in contact with administration. Also started speakers bureau at Hospital and spoke at community meetings which attended.
OAKLAND PRESS, Pontiac, MI (1979-1987)
Layout Supervisor, Columnist, Reporter: Duties at this daily newspaper (80,000-plus circulation) included reviewing pages for accuracy and style, monitoring wire services, editing stories, and making any necessary makeovers for the four daily updated editions. Earned writing awards from Michigan Press Association and Michigan Associated Press, including third place in features (1983, 1985) and third place in writing (1983, 1985). Also earned third place in features from Pro Basketball Writers Association (1984).
THE NEWS-DEMOCRAT, Belleville, IL (1977-1979)
Layout Supervisor, Reporter: Reported and photographed local events and performed daily layout of news and sports section at this daily newspaper (34,000 circulation). Accomplishments included comprehensive analysis of area elections. Sports section was voted “Best in Illinois” in 1997 Illinois Press Association’s layout contest.
THE DAILY SUN, Texas City, Texas (1976-1977)
Sports Editor: Covered local high school sports scene and performed production of daily sports section for daily newspaper (12,00 circulation).
Master of Arts in English Language and Literature,
Concentrations in Written Communications and Teaching of Writing
Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Michigan
Bachelor of Science in Mass Communications / Journalism
Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Illinois
* Member of the American Society of Business Publication Editors