320 East 32nd Street, Indianapolis, Indiana 46205 • 317.709.2495 • firstname.lastname@example.org
CONSULTANT, VALENTINE ENTERPRISES (1/2006 to Present)
• Represent and assist businesses and not-for-profits in their writing, marketing, governmental affairs & public relations..
• Conduct grant-writing and research for governmental and political entities as well as political campaigns.
• Represented engineering firms to the City of Indianapolis.
• Served as fundraising and field director for John Layton for Sheriff, a successful 2010 campaign for Marion County Sheriff.
• Helped secure the Layton campaign the largest margin of victory of any of the 2010 countywide campaigns.
• Created e-mail marketing campaigns for several small businesses in many formats (ConstantContact, MailChimp…)
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST, WILLIAMS CREEK CONSULTING (12/2007 to 5/2009)
• Pursued professional services contracts for a sustainable site design civil engineering firm.
• Engaged governmental officials including mayors and public works directors over three states.
• Presented information in public forums, trade conferences and at charitable and governmental events.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST, CONGDON ENGINEERING ASSOCIATES (1/2003 to 1/2006)
• Pursued professional services contracts for a multi-disciplined civil engineering firm.
• Engaged governmental officials ranging from INDOT and metropolitan mayors to county commissioners and auditors.
• Presented information at trade conferences, governmental events and fundraisers.
• Secured awards of professional service contracts in excess of $2.4 million.
CO-DIRECTOR, INDIANA ELECTION DIVISION (1/1999 to 1/2003)
• Appointed by Governor Frank O’Bannon to lead Indiana’s election agency.
• Co-manager of the agency in charge of Indiana’s election process and requirements, including but not limited to:
o Advisory Agency to the State Legislature – The Division advises the legislature in the establishment of election and campaign finance law.
o Staff to the Bipartisan Task Force on Election Integrity – The Division served as staff to the Task Force adopted by the Governor’s executive order and published a report of recommendations.
o Staff to the Election Commission – The Division serves as staff to the four-member Indiana Election Commission, a rule-making body appointed by the Governor and empowered to determine ballot access and administer campaign finance penalties.
o Campaign Finance – Received, maintained and posted campaign finance reports on www.indianacampaignfinance.com for all state candidates, committees and PACs.
o Voter Registration – Create and distribute state voter registration materials and compile the statewide voter file.
o Election Administrator Training – Conducted year-round training and trouble-shooting with county clerks and voter registration officers. Training included an annual conference, hosting more than 400 election professionals.
o Candidate Training – Conducted year-round training of candidates with regard to ballot access, campaign finance, deadlines and filing rules. Published and posted the Indiana Candidate’s Guide and all state candidate forms to http://www.in.gov/sos/elections.
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS, INDIANA PORT COMMISSION (2/1997 to 1/1999)
• Managed media and public relations for the Commission and Indiana’s three public ports. Efforts included:
o Implemented three-pronged strategic marketing focus: Economic Development Attraction, Cargo Generation and Public Education.
o Edited and published award-winning Indiana Portside Magazine, brochures and website about Indiana's ports, www.portsofindiana.com.
o Directed various marketing projects via printing, video production, freelance research consultants.
COMPLIANCE SPECIALIST, INDIANA HOUSING FINANCE AUTHORITY (9/1995 to 2/1997)
• Monitored CDBG and HOME housing grants and interpreted labor regulations for Indiana housing projects.
• Provided technical assistance to local governments and housing organizations.
VOLUNTEER SPECIAL EVENT COORDINATOR, O’BANNON/KERNAN CAMPAIGN (1995 & 1996)
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR’S INTERN, INDIANA DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE (1995)
SENATE INTERN, INDIANA GENERAL ASSEMBLY (1995)
INTERN, PHIL SHARP FOR CONGRESS CAMPAIGN (1992)
BALL STATE UNIVERSITY, Muncie, Indiana
• Bachelor of Science in History and Political Science.
• Graduated May 1995 with Minor in English and Academic Honors in Writing.
PURDUE UNIVERSITY, KRANNERT GRADUATE SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, West Lafayette, Indiana
• Degree as yet incomplete for the Krannert Executive MBA Program.
• MEMBER, ADVISORY BOARD, DADS INC. (2008 to Present)
• CANVAS AND VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR, PETERSON FOR MAYOR (2007)
• MEMBER, GREATER INDIANAPOLIS FOREIGN TRADE ZONE BOARD (2004 to 2010)
• MEMBER, INDIANA UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE BOARD (2003 to 2005)
• ELECTION OBSERVER/UKRAINE, ORGANIZATION FOR SECURITY AND COOPERATION IN EUROPE (March 2002)
• SECRETARY, INDIANAPOLIS CITY MARKET BOARD (2000 to 2004)
• MEMBER & WHIP, INDIANA’S DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION DELEGATION (2000)
• EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE, NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF STATE ELECTION DIRECTORS (2000)
• LEADER, INDIANA DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION DELEGATE SELECTION TEAM (1999 & 2000)
• MEMBER, INDIANA COMMEMORATIVE QUARTER COMMISSION (1999)
• SECRETARY-TREASURER, FOREIGN TRADE ZONE ASSOCIATION OF INDIANA (1997 to 1999)
• COMPILED GOVERNMENT & POLITICS CHAPTER, THE WWW YELLOW PAGES, NEW RIDERS PRESS (1996)
• SCHOLARSHIP, MIDWEST WRITER’S CONFERENCE (1993)