11755 90th Avenue, Milaca, MN 56353
Editor, Assistant Editor, Reporter, Photographer, Mille Lacs Messenger, Isle, MN, 1997-present.
• Managed production of weekly newspaper, quarterly magazine, special projects, and website. Served as editor since August of 2007, interim editor June through August 2001 and April through August 2004, full-time reporter November 1997 through August 2000. Led staff of four to eight reporter/photographers, typesetters, photo techs, and interns. Hired two editors, one full-time reporter, several interns. Supervised restructuring and downsizing of editorial department. Designed and launched new websites for Mille Lacs Messenger and Aitkin Independent Age. Built and moderated Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube pages for Mille Lacs Messenger. Wrote news stories, feature stories, weekly columns, and blogs on local, state, and national issues. Trained staff in photography, video, writing, Photoshop, Quark, Joomla, and other skills and programs. Represented newspaper at community meetings and events. Won Premack Award for Public Affairs Journalism in 2010, Best Columnist award from Minnesota Newspaper Association (MNA) in 2010 and 2011, Best Feature Story from National Newspaper Association in 2010. Received MNA awards for website, multimedia project, headline writing, photography.
Journalism Instructor, Peter Arnett School of Journalism, Southern Institute of Technology, Invercargill, New Zealand, December 2006-June 2007.
• Taught courses in bachelor's degree and certificate programs, including Interviewing, Design, Grammar, Subediting, Math for Journalists, and Newswriting.
Adjunct Instructor of Journalism and English, Anoka-Ramsey Community College, Cambridge, MN, 1998-present.
• Taught traditional, online, and hybrid courses in Introduction to Journalism and Mass Communications, Introduction to Media Writing, Photojournalism, Practical Experience in Journalism, College Writing and Critical Reading, Short Stories, Canoeing. Advised student newspaper staff 1999-2006. Managed and increased production, mentored staff. Designed and implemented Wilderness Challenge program. Guided canoe trips to Boundary Waters. Named to faculty honor roll in 2000-2001 and 2003-2004.
English Instructor, Rainy River Community College, International Falls, MN, 1994-1997.
• Taught Composition, Technical Writing, Creative Writing, American Literature, Environmental Literature, Intercultural Communication, Developmental Writing. Edited student literary publication. Advised student writers and managed production. Developed learning community program for at-risk students.
Wildlife Technician, various employers, 1989-1996.
• Monitored peregrine falcon hacksite for the Peregrine Fund, summer 1989
• Conducted spotted owl surveys for Washington Department of Natural Resources, summer 1991
• Conducted bird surveys for Wildlife International, spring 1992
• Conducted nest searches for University of Minnesota graduate student Jim Manolis, summer 1992
• Assisted NDSU grad student Diane Larson with research on red-eyed vireos, summer 1993-94
• Conducted bird surveys for U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, spring-summer 1993
• Planted prairie grass and wildflowers for Prairie Restorations, summer 1996
North Dakota State University, M.A. (1994) in English.
Bethel College, B.A. (1986) in Social Science and Literature.
University of Minnesota (1991-92) completed courses in biology, zoology, botany.
Rainy River Community College (1992-1993) completed courses in Ojibwe language.
St. Cloud State University (1997) completed course in ecology.
Hundreds of news stories, feature stories, columns and photographs published in Mille Lacs Messenger, 1997-present. www.millelacsmessenger.com.
Many additional publications and unpublished work available at brettlarson.us or by request.
HONORS AND AWARDS
Summa *** Laude graduate of Bethel College in 1986.
4.0 GPA in Master's program at North Dakota State University, membership in Phi Kappa Phi honor society.
Best Columnist award from Minnesota Newspaper Association in 2010 and 2011.
Best Feature Story award from National Newspaper Association in 2010.
Premack Award for Public Affairs Journalism in 2010.