Enthusiastic Visual arts specialist with over eighteen years of teaching experience. A proven success record in the commercial and private sectors. Developed innovative classroom curriculums and provided students with opportunities to reach their fullest potential through creative expression, cognitive strategies and a broad range of aesthetic and creative learning experiences.
Long-Term Substitute Teacher 2011 - Present
Anne Arundel County School System
Long-Term Substitute Teacher assigned to Wiley H. Bates Middle School Visual Arts Program.
• Demonstrated and assisted students in learning painting and mixed media techniques, including Adobe flash animation, Adobe Photoshop and Digital photography
• Coordinated public art exhibits to showcase student’s work
• Instructor for Performance and Visual Arts (PVA) after school programs
• Teaching/Substituting of various curriculums including Math, Science, language art, Visual Art, Music and Computer Graphics
High School Visual Arts and Music Teacher 2006 - 2011
The Nora School, Silver Spring MD
Graphics Design Instructor focusing on the latest computer graphic techniques while working with troubled youth. Instrumental in introducing new curriculums based programs with academic success.
• Introduced cutting-edge software/technology and taught students skills relevant to today’s job market.
• Designed annual school yearbook
• Taught elective music classes including music theory. Established a school band and coordinate regular performances and talent shows.
• Prompted student motivation, participation and effective listening skills through the implementation of positive reinforcement.
Special Education Teacher 2004 - 2006
Thomas Pullen Middle School, Landover MD
Versatile and dedicated child advocate for special education students. Planned and taught all aspects of the academic curriculum in math, language arts, social studies and science with specially classified and regular students.
• Wrote and implemented Independent Educational Plans (IEPs). Strategized comprehensive behavior management plans and developed academic IEP goals with other teachers, aides and parents.
• Provided a clear, consistent structure for the classroom that ensured that the academic, social, and emotional needs of each student were met within the guidelines of the IEP
• Incorporated computer and art activities in the curriculum to expand learning opportunities
Visual Arts/Computer Graphics Teacher 1997 - 2004
The Foundation School, Landover MD
Created the arts and computer graphics curriculum for all four Foundation Schools modeled from state regulated guidelines. Developed innovative classroom instruction with educational plans and treatment goals.
• Highly successful teaching techniques included computer graphics, visual arts projects and PowerPoint presentations with audio
• Integrated knowledge of Maryland special education laws, rules and regulations into lesson plan.
• Effectively managed behavior of students to create a safe physical and emotionally positive classroom environment
• Collaborated with professional corporations and colleges to assist students with occupational development programs for students with special needs.
• Generated more than $1,500 dollars per year through student art sales and computer graphic presentations for non-profit school fundraisers. Designed annual yearbook.
• Successfully raised eight thousand dollars through art auctions and yearbook sales to benefit the arts program.
ACARR Gallery 2000 - Present
Owner: Sell and showcase original Art by Anthony Carr, including customized portraits, oil paintings, book cover designs and pastel drawings. Serve as liaison for specialty print jobs including banners and signs. Provide customized photograph restoration services.
Computer Graphics Specialist / Freelance Artist 1986 - 1997
• Graphics coordinator and production manager for major corporations
• Produced computer generated artwork, textbook covers, graphic design and packaging for Barton-Ashman Associates Engineering Co, Vitro Corporation, DC Government, MCI Center, Redskin Stadium, Lowe’s Department Stores and Shoppers food warehouse.
• Newspaper Layout, Fairfax Journal
• Technical Illustrator, United States Navy
• Book Illustrator for Harper Collins, Nvision Publishing, Children Academy and ACARR Gallery
BA Commercial Art / Music Minor - St. Augustine’s College, Raleigh NC
Design / Marketing - Shaw University, Raleigh, NC
Special Education (30 credit hours) - Trinity College, Washington, DC
HTML / CSS Web Design (I & II) - Prince George’s Community College, Largo, MD
WEB PAGE: www.Acarrgallery.com and http://fineartamerica.com/art/all/anthony+carr/all
Available for substitute teaching
Teaching Certification Pending