STATE OF NEVADA, BUREAU OF DISABILITY ADJUDICATION, Carson City, NV
Disability Adjudicator, September 2013-present
• Evaluate medical evidence to make judgments about the presence, onset, clinical severity and prognosis of physical or mental impairments and determine the vocational potential of claimants in order to allow or deny Social Security disability benefits.
WASHOE COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT, Reno, NV
K-12 Substitute Teacher, June 2013– Current
SELF EMPLOYED, Reno, NV
Freelance Writer, March 2013 – Current
• Produce well-written and accurate content for newspapers, magazines and websites within set deadlines.
• Perform research through personal interviews, on the Internet and in reference books.
• Plan and manage workload so assignments may be completed on time while handling multiple projects for different clients.
• Market services to build a customer base and secure a regular flow of work.
WASHOE COUNTY, Reno, NV
Family Support Specialist, October 2007 – February 2013:
• Determined and enforced child support obligations.
STATE OF NEVADA, DEPT. OF WELFARE AND SUPPORTIVE SERVICES, Reno, NV
Family Services Specialist II 2005- 2007
• Determined eligibility for public assistance and maintained caseload.
WELLS FARGO, Reno, NV.
Banker 2004- 2005
STATE OF NEVADA ADOLESCENT TREATMENT CENTER, Sparks, NV
Mental Health Technician II. 2003- 2004
RENO GAZETTE JOURNAL, Reno, NV
Freelance Writer, 2003
• Wrote and submitted articles for publication.
SPORTIF USA, Reno, NV
Freelance Copy Writer, 2000
• Wrote catalog copy for outdoor clothing and products.
EYMANN PUBLICATIONS, Sparks, NV
Associate Editor, 1995-2000:
• Edited, wrote and rewrote articles for publication.
• Conferred with staff members regarding editorial changes and revisions.
• Read and evaluated articles and ensured correct grammar, consistency in style, readability and design.
• Coordinated galley and page proofing, newsletter design, computer disk transfer and the generation of illustrations and tables.
• Supervised, and coordinated the activities of freelance contributors.
• Researched and selected materials to be used.
•Contributed to the development and production of web-based materials.
Peninsula College, Port Angeles, WA
Degree in Journalism, 1994
University of Nevada, Reno, NV
Studied early childhood education and human development and family studies, 2001-2003
Truckee Meadows Community College, Reno, NV
Mental Health Counseling classes, 2004
AWARDS AND HONORS
-Named one of Yahoo Contributor Network’s Top 500 writers
-Member of the Education Alliance of Washoe County
-South Reno Babe Ruth board member
-Reno Centennial Sunset Rotary Club member
-Nevada Humane Society, Washoe County School District, and Northern Nevada Komen Affiliate Volunteer
-Completed Washoe County Essentials of Personal Effectiveness and Essentials of High Performing Teams Program.
-Attended 2010 National Conference on Juvenile and Family Law
-Completed State of Nevada management training courses
-Selected for the Fleischman Upperdivision Scholarship at the University of Nevada
-Children’s Cabinet of Northern Nevada scholarship recipient
-Brownie troop leader for the Girl Scouts of America
-Volunteer for Hands on Northern Nevada, SPCA, and American Lung Association.
-Former Huffaker Elementary School PTA Secretary
-Third place in column writing in the 1993 Society of Professional Journalist’s regional Competition
-Honorable Mention from the Washington Press Association for an editorial
-Part of an award-winning Buccanner staff. Received awards for content and design from the Society of Professional Journalists, American Scholastic Press Association Associated Collegiate Press, Columbia Scholastic Press Association and Washington Press Association.